Is Joe Fries still Penticton City Editor ?

Is Joe Fries still Penticton City Editor ?

Postby Chessman » Dec 6th, 2018, 6:23 pm

In October 2017 , James Miller promoted Joe Fries to City Editor of the Penticton Hearld with much much fanfare.
Given the infrequent editorials Joe writes you have to wonder does James Miller no longer believe in his abilities as an Editor? James still writes virtually all the key editorials for Penticton. Joe is anything but a prolific contributior . Was it a mistake to promote him? Or Does James Miller still need to be the top dog in Penticton or can’t delegate or doesn’t trust Joe’s abilities?

What do you think or know ?
Last edited by Chessman on Dec 6th, 2018, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not on the Forum to debate, I don’t engage with cretins and there is nothing you can do about a sub 80 IQ.
Chessman

Liked in: 32 posts

Re: Is Joe Fries still Penticton City Editor ?

Postby RupertBear » Dec 6th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Here’s my take. I think Joe is a better reporter and writer than Miller, but Miller is more opinionated. Unfortunately, Miller too often inserts his opinion into his news writing, seriously impacting his credibility. Based on that, it’s better to have Joe writing the news and Miller writing the opinion pieces.
RupertBear
Board Meister

Liked in: 742 posts

Postby twobits » Dec 6th, 2018, 8:13 pm

And here is my twobits worth. I am on record here for years as thinking Millar to be an idiot for the most part. Self serving over lost advertising revenue he will never forgive the City for. Then, we are subjected to endless kodak moment descriptions of his dog "Milo". Somehow he thinks it is newsworthy but I believe it's just to fill up column space in the local paper so two full sheets of folded newsprint can make up what is called a local daily paper. If it were not for Isherwood's, Barillaro's, Martens, or Slumps contributions reliable daily contributions.......we would have a daily paper that would not even start the wood stove kindling.

And then we have Millar hire Joe Fries as the City editor lol. Two decent investigative (questionable but will call it that) news stories and he is in the local big chair lol. All I can surmise from this is money is short in the payroll department and we are watching the 3rd or 4th version of dumb and dumber.
Seriously.....hate Vaz or support Vaz, a bold one inch headline of essentially "Mayor spills grease in alley" is quality local Journalism? Millar should be fired for hiring "exclusive breaking news" Joe Fries.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3789 posts

Postby ToddT » Dec 7th, 2018, 9:29 am

You guys still read the paper?
ToddT
Übergod

Liked in: 274 posts

Postby RupertBear » Dec 7th, 2018, 10:10 am

ToddT wrote:You guys still read the paper?

Cancelled our subscription a few years ago, but it still shows up at the office every now and then.
RupertBear
Board Meister

Liked in: 742 posts

Postby twobits » Dec 8th, 2018, 6:09 pm

ToddT wrote:You guys still read the paper?

Well we still do need at least one person to watch and report what the rag prints and allow us all to hope for either a better paper or someone turning the lights off as they leave the building for the last time,
Won't be long now. Already forced James to Kelowna. The Janitor left in Penticton doesn't seem bright enough to see what's coming. The Saturday paper all week long.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3789 posts

Return to South Okanagan