ILLEGAL horse-riding arena.... WIllowbrook Stables

Re: ILLEGAL horse-riding arena.... WIllowbrook Stables

Postby southy » Jan 5th, 2019, 2:32 pm

zues wrote:Looks like these owners only bought this property early 2018 (moving from Mission) with the full intent of building and operating a horse riding school. They knew full well what they were doing was against the law without permits and approvals. Also begs the question what are the laws regarding square footage for home based businesses in the area. It's not farming related, it's a sports facility.

To answer your previous question Zues … no I do not agree that individuals should ignore laws/bylaws. Just curious as to why you have chosen to go after them on Castanet instead of dealing directly with the RDOS where you might have a better chance of getting the result you want. Good luck.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 692 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 5th, 2019, 2:39 pm

southy wrote:To answer your previous question Zues … no I do not agree that individuals should ignore laws/bylaws. Just curious as to why you have chosen to go after them on Castanet instead of dealing directly with the RDOS where you might have a better chance of getting the result you want. Good luck.

So you're saying the OP went to Castanet first?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6545 posts

Postby southy » Jan 5th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Not saying that at all Fancy. Just a curious question as to why the OP brought this issue to the forum. Could have advised Castanet News about it and they would have run a story, could of advised other media as well. He/She could then contact RDOS and have a sit down with them as a concerned landowner in the area. This should have actually been done when the early construction was starting. Not sure what the OP is looking for from this forum other than validation that his/her beliefs are correct. Or as a vehicle to simply slam the said guilty party. Not a biggy. I'm sure it will all get settled. Don't they always.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby zues » Jan 5th, 2019, 2:50 pm

southy wrote:
zues wrote:Looks like these owners only bought this property early 2018 (moving from Mission) with the full intent of building and operating a horse riding school. They knew full well what they were doing was against the law without permits and approvals. Also begs the question what are the laws regarding square footage for home based businesses in the area. It's not farming related, it's a sports facility.

To answer your previous question Zues … no I do not agree that individuals should ignore laws/bylaws. Just curious as to why you have chosen to go after them on Castanet instead of dealing directly with the RDOS where you might have a better chance of getting the result you want. Good luck.

"Southy" I understand... thanks for the reply and sorry for prejudging you. I'm not going after them personally, just frustrated and tired of seeing this happen over and over. I own acreage and follow the rules even though I don't agree with most of them.
zues

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby zues » Jan 5th, 2019, 2:53 pm

southy wrote:Not saying that at all Fancy. Just a curious question as to why the OP brought this issue to the forum. Could have advised Castanet News about it and they would have run a story, could of advised other media as well. He/She could then contact RDOS and have a sit down with them as a concerned landowner in the area. This should have actually been done when the early construction was starting. Not sure what the OP is looking for from this forum other than validation that his/her beliefs are correct. Or as a vehicle to simply slam the said guilty party. Not a biggy. I'm sure it will all get settled. Don't they always.

Nope ... just read it on Castanet, nor do I live in the area. Just burns my butt every time this happens

dirtybiker likes this post.
zues

Postby Fancy » Jan 5th, 2019, 2:56 pm

southy wrote:Just a curious question as to why the OP brought this issue to the forum.

Same as anyone else that starts a topic after seeing it on Castanet. I didn't find it curious at all. I rarely start topics but so many others do AFTER reading it on Castanet. I'm puzzled why the "assuming" an OP has a personal interest when so many don't.

dirtybiker likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Symbonite » Jan 5th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Well actually...just a few adjustments to the business and it turns from a sports facility to Farm use.

https://info.bcassessment.ca/Services-p ... m-purposes.

If they breed horses which is probably the reason for the size of building and from there they will need a adequate place to train the horse and new owner or potential owners that may look into buying a horse with lessons on riding....hence the reason for the size of building. Now its farm Use.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 812 posts

Postby southy » Jan 5th, 2019, 3:39 pm

And Fancy ... I guess I'm curious as to why it disturbs you so much. It was an assumption on what was posted … end of story. There is nothing more to it! What is it you are looking for??? The tat??
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Fancy » Jan 5th, 2019, 3:47 pm

southy wrote:And Fancy ... I guess I'm curious as to why it disturbs you so much. It was an assumption on what was posted … end of story. There is nothing more to it! What is it you are looking for??? The tat??

You are full of assumptions. I'm not disturbed at all but you must be. Even my little saying got to you.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Fancy » Jan 5th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Symbonite wrote:If they breed horses which is probably the reason for the size of building and from there they will need a adequate place to train the horse and new owner or potential owners that may look into buying a horse with lessons on riding....hence the reason for the size of building. Now its farm Use.

They are on Facebook.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby one wheel » Jan 5th, 2019, 3:49 pm

People that follow the rules & acquire the necessary permits to start a project expect that everyone else to do the same.
The bylaws are put into place to avoid problems now & in the future.

A cease work order should mean exactly that STOP WORK until a satisfactory agreement & permits are complete.

3 people like this post.
one wheel
Fledgling

Liked in: 235 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 5th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Which the owner didnt bother to pursue.

zues likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby zues » Jan 5th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Symbonite wrote:

Well actually...just a few adjustments to the business and it turns from a sports facility to Farm use.

https://info.bcassessment.ca/Services-p ... m-purposes.

If they breed horses which is probably the reason for the size of building and from there they will need a adequate place to train the horse and new owner or potential owners that may look into buying a horse with lessons on riding....hence the reason for the size of building. Now its farm Use.

I'm afraid "the horse has left the stable" (pun intended) on the change to farm use. The owner clearly states their use of the facility and other barns on Facebook. It's a horse riding school and boarding facility.

"RDOS staff will now proceed with pursuing an injunction against the property owner, requiring him or any future property owners to remedy the property's deficiencies and bring everything into compliance with district bylaw"
zues

Postby Symbonite » Jan 5th, 2019, 5:09 pm

zues wrote:
"RDOS staff will now proceed with pursuing an injunction against the property owner, requiring him or any future property owners to remedy the property's deficiencies and bring everything into compliance with district bylaw"

I wonder who else has gone through the proper channels with any building or structures in that area...I guess this owner could also ask RDOS to look into everyone's outbuildings and or houses to see if their house extension renovation or shed is up to code and had the proper building permit. Be careful what you ask for I guess...RDOS might start looking at you too.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 812 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 5th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Thought I'd do a little more research and came up with what the owner stated:

http://oliverdailynews.com/willowbrook- ... ent-384642
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

PreviousNext