ILLEGAL horse-riding arena.... WIllowbrook Stables

Re: ILLEGAL horse-riding arena.... WIllowbrook Stables

Postby fluffy » Jan 7th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Fancy wrote:Appears the owners refuse to pay and won't apply for the variance.

That sort of attitude won't get them far, but it occurs to me that attitude has played a big part in this already.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

2 people like this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4295 posts

Postby Tony » Jan 7th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Apparently they saw the stop work order, but just continued to build as they had brought in the construction team from Alberta. Makes no sense to me.... first didn't get a permit, second built too close to property line, third ignored stop work order.... This is just a wreck. The RDOS is holding all the cards on this one if you ask me.
Tony
Übergod

Liked in: 346 posts

Postby seewood » Jan 7th, 2019, 2:58 pm

This owner appears to believe the rules do not apply to them.
I'd like to see the RDOS take them to court in this matter and I believe they have a case if everything has been documented, pictures, date stamped etc.

As mentioned, I really doubt any physical change will be made to the building. Too close to a property line? No change I'd be thinking unless the neighbor complained. Neighbor complains then that is another can of worms. As a case history the childhood home had a house built too close to our back property line. large house was jacked up and moved back 10 feet onto new foundations. Doubt in this case though.
Perhaps a large fine? If so, sounds like the owner would not pay anyway. Can fines be put onto property taxes?
Whatever, there has to be a way somehow to make this important to the homeowner to make right or pay a fine.
Lawyers will have it drag on ad nauseam to keep them living the lifestyle in which they have become accustomed to.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1295 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 7th, 2019, 4:22 pm

LTD wrote:property owner will win in court

twobits wrote:He sure will. And when his full patch buddies from MIssion come to visit his new digs, a few people might be wishing they were a little less vocal.

So you are suggesting this location is a new HA hangout, there goes the neighbourhood. Peacefulness broken by noisy hogs... not horses, but horsepower. lol
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7930 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Bikes » Jan 7th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Bikes

Liked in: 29 posts

Postby twobits » Jan 7th, 2019, 5:45 pm

GordonH wrote:So you are suggesting this location is a new HA hangout, there goes the neighbourhood. Peacefulness broken by noisy hogs... not horses, but horsepower. lol

Didn't say that but would invite anyone to meet the male owner. Nice guy. Wife likes horses. I wouldn't want to pizz him off though.
What's bothering me mostly about this thread is the bandwagon crew jumping to conclusions. There are different permitting requirements for lands granted farm status. Ancillary buildings included.
I don't know all of the facts here, nor do any other posters here willing to throw the noose over the highest branch. This could all turn out to be a civil lawsuit of a property sold with a declaration it did not hold.
From the few brief statements provided by the spouse here, I think some of you should put your pitchforks and torches back into the garage.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3325 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 7th, 2019, 6:10 pm

^^^ you bought up full patch = colours
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7930 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby seewood » Jan 7th, 2019, 6:18 pm

I thought farm status means you consistently earn $2500.00 or more per year from your " farm"

We have friends in that category with 3-5 acres.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Tony likes this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1295 posts

Postby kyranth » Jan 8th, 2019, 1:25 pm

just to clear something up since there was a comment about farm status this is right off the rdos website

Farm Building Exemption
For the purposes of this exemption, the farm buildings must be located on land classed as “farm” under the Assessment Act and are designed for “low human occupancy” as defined in the National Farm Building Code of Canada.

Please note that applications for a Farm Exemption MUST be accompanied by a current (no older than 30 day) title search and copies of all covenants, easements and rights of way registered on the title. The RDOS can obtain these documents for the applicant if necessary. All associated fees must be paid before Exemption can be issued.

Application for Farm Exemption
Farm Building Information Sheet

here is the link
https://www.rdos.bc.ca/departments/deve ... ng-permit/
kyranth

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby twobits » Jan 8th, 2019, 6:00 pm

GordonH wrote:^^^ you bought up full patch = colours

Am sorry but what did you bring up except an assumption of guilt as well as a suggested radius search of all properties with structures not in compliance?
How do properties in Willowbrook exactly affect you? These are 10 to 100 acre parcels of land. The neighbors don't care and are happy to see the facility. Why does anyone here that does not live in the neighborhood care about a civil matter between seller and purchaser. It was a quarter million dollar engineered building for lord's sake......not a plywood shack built on railway ties rented to crackheads.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3325 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 8th, 2019, 7:14 pm

twobits wrote:Am sorry but what did you bring up except an assumption of guilt as well as a suggested radius search of all properties with structures not in compliance?

How is it an assumption of guilt if owners admit guilt?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6546 posts

Postby common_sense_guy » Jan 8th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Fancy wrote:What makes people think they can do whatever they want without regard for rules in place?

Probably the fact that the government has managed to take over every facet of Our Lives. What you can and can't do on your own property. Of course some rules are needed. But things like this are nothing more than a tax grab and some people take offense to constantly being told what to do for every little thing. I can understand a person like that's frustration with nothing but government sticking their nose completely everywhere in our lives to get a few more bucks here and there. Long gun registry. Licensing your dog. The list goes on and on a ways government has come up with the taxes more and more.. some people have had enough and I can understand that.
the smartest person in the room usually isn't the one talking the most but rather talking the least ;)
common_sense_guy
Fledgling

Liked in: 215 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 9th, 2019, 6:14 am

common_sense_guy wrote:But things like this are nothing more than a tax grab...
Rules are in place because the people want them there.

http://www.rdosmaps.bc.ca/min_bylaws/by ... d/2453.pdf

When people refuse to comply, how is a fine a tax grab? Why didn't they apply for the variance?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6546 posts

Postby Tony » Jan 9th, 2019, 6:25 am

common_sense_guy wrote:
Fancy wrote:What makes people think they can do whatever they want without regard for rules in place?

Probably the fact that the government has managed to take over every facet of Our Lives. What you can and can't do on your own property. Of course some rules are needed. But things like this are nothing more than a tax grab and some people take offense to constantly being told what to do for every little thing. I can understand a person like that's frustration with nothing but government sticking their nose completely everywhere in our lives to get a few more bucks here and there. Long gun registry. Licensing your dog. The list goes on and on a ways government has come up with the taxes more and more.. some people have had enough and I can understand that.

So, are you suggesting that maybe the rules apply and maybe they don't, depending on the people, where they are building, and what they are building? Isn't that a bit of a logistical nightmare? The rules are in place, and everyone who lives in the area covered by that arm of Government, whether it be municipal, regional, Provincial or Federal, enforces it. It has to cover everybody and everything, so that there is consistency. One of the issues is, is that it's built too close to the property line. That rule is in place for a reason (I have no idea what it is), but it's a pretty common rule no matter where you build - in BC anyway. Had they had the foresight to check out all the rules and regs, had their builder check the rules and regs, and even if they didn't get a building permit, they still would have built it to spec, and this wouldn't be a topic. Since they thought they were exempt because they're "farm status", is their fault. They, and only they, didn't check the rules before doing this. They are 75% responsible. I'm going to lay 25% on their builder, as any builder worth their salt checks for things like permits and variances.

They also had a stop work order issued, which is a large red note. They ignored that, placing themselves above the law. They had the opportunity to defend their actions at an RDOS meeting, which they ignored, placing themselves above the law.

They deserve whatever the RDOS hands down to them.

4 people like this post.
Tony
Übergod

Liked in: 346 posts

Postby fluffy » Jan 9th, 2019, 6:54 am

Exactly. This wasn't a weekend garden shed project, it's a monster of a commercial project and it looks like the owner/builder thumbed his nose at the rule book more than once. Now that the whole issue has been pushed into the spotlight, how can the RDOS not do anything but play by that same rule book?
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

4 people like this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4295 posts

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan