Lake to lake bike lane

Lake to lake bike lane

Postby smoky500 » Jan 10th, 2019, 8:25 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -bike-lane

council voted to put funding, $35,000, back in the budget to "study" this. Government St is apparently "too hilly" (it has a slope/rise to it but I wouldn't call it a hill). Main St is obviously too narrow and too busy. What's wrong with the Parkway?? Quite flat, already has a shoulder and goes almost from lake to lake. If you don't like the traffic just ride on the other side of the channel.
smoky500
Fledgling

Liked in: 44 posts

Re: Lake to lake bike lane

Postby soupy » Jan 10th, 2019, 8:35 am

I'd love to see the path along the Channel improved for biking. (Not sure if that is Band land or not though, i think it is)

I do love the idea of more bike racks though. I think this City is definately lacking in that area.
soupy
Board Meister

Liked in: 508 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Jan 10th, 2019, 9:34 am

soupy wrote:I'd love to see the path along the Channel improved for biking. (Not sure if that is Band land or not though, i think it is)

I do love the idea of more bike racks though. I think this City is definately lacking in that area.

Good time to negotiate a bike path with the PIB wanting a 20 year lease for Coyote Cruises.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/246270/20-year-lease-on-Channel
We See
We Judge

3 people like this post.
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1383 posts

Postby southy » Jan 10th, 2019, 9:49 am

Way back in 2013 there was a very good discussion on CNET Forum about bike lanes in Penticton. Here is link:

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?t=53432
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 689 posts

Postby pentona » Jan 10th, 2019, 10:04 am

soupy wrote:I'd love to see the path along the Channel improved for biking. (Not sure if that is Band land or not though, i think it is)

No more bike racks should ever be placed in Penticton until bike thievery is eliminated. Its just not safe to leave your bike, no matter how expensive it is, locked up anywhere in plain site in this town. The thieves carry bolt cutters in their backpacks and few locks can survive them.

Note: if the thieves can't cut the lock, they just steal either the wheel(s), seat or handlebars. I've seen numerous "frames only" locked up to bike racks; devoid of their accessories. Of course if you listen to Ted De_____, there is no problem with crime in Penticton.
pentona
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 470 posts

Postby soupy » Jan 10th, 2019, 10:23 am

pentona wrote:

No more bike racks should ever be placed in Penticton until bike thievery is eliminated. Its just not safe to leave your bike, no matter how expensive it is, locked up anywhere in plain site in this town. The thieves carry bolt cutters in their backpacks and few locks can survive them.

Note: if the thieves can't cut the lock, they just steal either the wheel(s), seat or handlebars. I've seen numerous "frames only" locked up to bike racks; devoid of their accessories. Of course if you listen to Ted De_____, there is no problem with crime in Penticton.

I hear your frustration. However I would still like the opportunity to use a proper bike rack as opposed to a fence, tree etc.
When I do lock up my bike I try to still maintain the ability to visually see where it is.
Kudos to the volunteer group that does the bike security during Saturday market day. I used that all summer and loved it.

PS. Going to be tough to eliminate bike thievery if there is no areas to even lock up one's bike.
soupy
Board Meister

Postby pentona » Jan 10th, 2019, 11:00 am

soupy wrote:
I hear your frustration. However I would still like the opportunity to use a proper bike rack as opposed to a fence, tree etc.
When I do lock up my bike I try to still maintain the ability to visually see where it is.
Kudos to the volunteer group that does the bike security during Saturday market day. I used that all summer and loved it.

PS. Going to be tough to eliminate bike thievery if there is no areas to even lock up one's bike.

What you are suggesting in many case (keep an eye on your bike), sounds good in principle but its nearly impossible when shopping downtown. My workplace has a bike rack but few people ever bring bikes to work as the employees cannot see the location from their work stations. I know.....install cameras. We shouldn't have to. Solve the bike thievery crimes and deal with the problem.

I believe the city may have a locked compound (likely with cameras) for their employees but not every business can afford that.
Note: the Saturday marker valet service is a completely different thing; I wouldn't hesitate to use that; your bike would be safe.
pentona
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby soupy » Jan 10th, 2019, 11:21 am

pentona wrote:What you are suggesting in many case (keep an eye on your bike), sounds good in principle but its nearly impossible when shopping downtown. My workplace has a bike rack but few people ever bring bikes to work as the employees cannot see the location from their work stations. I know.....install cameras. We shouldn't have to. Solve the bike thievery crimes and deal with the problem.

I believe the city may have a locked compound (likely with cameras) for their employees but not every business can afford that.
Note: the Saturday marker valet service is a completely different thing; I wouldn't hesitate to use that; your bike would be safe.

I agree it may not be possible. I choose not to take a bike if i will be doing something where I cannot periodically check on it.
Yes, many workplaces now build employee compounds for bikes. It sucks, but probably great for employee retention in the long run.
Install cameras ?? That has a proven record of not really doing anything. Secured / enclosed bike storage would be better.

Simple fact, bikes are expensive pieces of equipment that can be easily stolen.

I wish there was no bike thievery crimes but there is. What is your idea to fix this problem?
soupy
Board Meister

Postby southy » Jan 10th, 2019, 11:53 am

Would be interesting to know how this program has gone or is going. The only concern would be is there enough awareness out within the group who steals. Putting a shield on the bike … well, not to sure that is really as deterrent, simply says the bike will probably be traced. Tough one for sure. Here is link talking about bike program:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... bike-theft
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 689 posts

Postby soupy » Jan 10th, 2019, 1:00 pm

southy wrote:Would be interesting to know how this program has gone or is going. The only concern would be is there enough awareness out within the group who steals. Putting a shield on the bike … well, not to sure that is really as deterrent, simply says the bike will probably be traced. Tough one for sure. Here is link talking about bike program:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... bike-theft

I registered my bike with this program.
It won't help stop the initial theft, but it will help in recovery of stolen property, and ideally charges as it would presumably be much easier to prove the thief was indeed in possession of property that had been reported stolen.
soupy
Board Meister

Postby JagXKR » Jan 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm

soupy wrote:.... and ideally charges as it would presumably be much easier to prove the thief was indeed in possession of property that had been reported stolen.

Possession of stolen property is nothing to the thieves who most likely have much worse on their records. Slap on the wrist and back out to do it again. No consequence for repeat offenders. Nothing will change, especially with the "top" cop blaming victims.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1139 posts

Postby JagXKR » Jan 10th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:

Good time to negotiate a bike path with the PIB wanting a 20 year lease for Coyote Cruises.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/246270/20-year-lease-on-Channel

I would love to see the upgrade as I use it for lake-to-lake biking. Interesting that PACA has not gone to the PIB to talk about upgrading the already existing lake-to-lake pathway.
The neighbors might want to think about all the benefits that an enhanced trail would bring. The bridge to Nissan could spur many restaurants etc along a well lit paved pathway.
But that would mean a real and open discussion regarding the land west of the channel.
I do not see that happening in the near future. Not with the current band leader. Mr Smiley.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

soupy likes this post.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1139 posts

Postby soupy » Jan 10th, 2019, 2:29 pm

JagXKR wrote:I would love to see the upgrade as I use it for lake-to-lake biking. Interesting that PACA has not gone to the PIB to talk about upgrading the already existing lake-to-lake pathway.
The neighbors might want to think about all the benefits that an enhanced trail would bring. The bridge to Nissan could spur many restaurants etc along a well lit paved pathway.
But that would mean a real and open discussion regarding the land west of the channel.
I do not see that happening in the near future. Not with the current band leader. Mr Smiley.

Totally with you on this one. Path is already there and would be perfect if it was completely redone.
soupy
Board Meister

Postby soupy » Jan 10th, 2019, 2:36 pm

JagXKR wrote:
soupy wrote:.... and ideally charges as it would presumably be much easier to prove the thief was indeed in possession of property that had been reported stolen.

Possession of stolen property is nothing to the thieves who most likely have much worse on their records. Slap on the wrist and back out to do it again. No consequence for repeat offenders. Nothing will change, especially with the "top" cop blaming victims.

Well I will agree / disagree to an extent.
Stolen property possession to these thieves is likely of no concern. Hense why I am all for a new method in which bike thieves fingers would be immediately broken as we know they won't change their ways until their scheduled promise to appear court appearance months down the road.
(I know my method is a pipe dream, but I think it would actually do some well deserved good)

As for the top cop blaming victims. I do agree with some of the things he says.
IE. 75% of thefts from vehicles occur when doors are left unlocked, windows down or valued items left in plain site.
These victims should take some blame IMO.
Today's world is different than it was years ago. I don't understand how / why people continue to leave valuable items in a vehicle unsecured from theft.
soupy
Board Meister

Postby pentona » Jan 10th, 2019, 2:58 pm

soupy wrote:
I registered my bike with this program.
It won't help stop the initial theft, but it will help in recovery of stolen property, and ideally charges as it would presumably be much easier to prove the thief was indeed in possession of property that had been reported stolen.

I was initially in favor of this program, however as the thieves often just "chop-shop" the bikes, the frames (with the indentification numbers on them) can be discarded and they just sell the other parts. Remember the famous 300 block Winnipeg Street garage? Until they can nail these guys properly, thievery will continue.

With regards to the lake to lake lanes, the PIB path makes the most sense. Whoever thought of using Government Street had little in the brains department. That route was supposed to be four-laned at one time (a little late now) and even though there are bike lanes on it, they can never be divided by barricades as too many vehicles stop (even temporarily) on the side of the street. People even put out their garbage/recycle bins on Government Street (if there is no lane) and putting barriers there to create a divided bike lane would not be possible. It was completely the wrong street to put any bike lanes on.
pentona
Generalissimo Postalot

Next

Return to South Okanagan