Smoking outside of Penticton Hospital!

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Smoking outside of Penticton Hospital!

Post by OKkayak »

Smoking is bad for you, blah, blah, blah. I have the right to clean air, blah, blah, blah. Smoking is gross, blah, blah, blah.

Fact is, smoking is legal. Fact is people smoke. Fact is people will smoke. For Pete's Sake, make a designated smoking area that is accessible so the majority of smokers have a place to go away from all the whiny non-smokers.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

OKkayak wrote:Smoking is bad for you, blah, blah, blah. I have the right to clean air, blah, blah, blah. Smoking is gross, blah, blah, blah.

Fact is, smoking is legal. Fact is people smoke. Fact is people will smoke. For Pete's Sake, make a designated smoking area that is accessible so the majority of smokers have a place to go away from all the whiny non-smokers.

Fact is, smoking is legal in some locations (true). Fact is, smoking anywhere on I.H. property is NOT legal. Either lobby them to change their own ruling and make a smoking area or put the smokes away, period.

Remember the old days when one could smoke on a plane or bus or inside a bar. Gone are those days and good riddance.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

pentona wrote:
Fact is, smoking is legal in some locations (true). Fact is, smoking anywhere on I.H. property is NOT legal. Either lobby them to change their own ruling and make a smoking area or put the smokes away, period.

Remember the old days when one could smoke on a plane or bus or inside a bar. Gone are those days and good riddance.

smoking on interior health property is not illegal. You will not get arrested and get charged with a criminal code violation. It is simply against there rules as property owners. They can ask you to leave or stop, that is it. The only laws are under provincial regulation and do not permit smoking within 10metres of doors, windows that open, air intakes etc.

The city can chose to ban smoking on all city properties, sidewalks, beaches whatever, and they have 0 on smoking in private property.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

gman313 wrote:
smoking on interior health property is not illegal. You will not get arrested and get charged with a criminal code violation. It is simply against there rules as property owners. They can ask you to leave or stop, that is it. The only laws are under provincial regulation and do not permit smoking within 10metres of doors, windows that open, air intakes etc.

Ok, I used the wrong word; its not illegal but it is most certainly against I.H. Policy, period. Also smoking near doorways also not permitted. So where do we see most of these folks smoking? Right in front of a doorway near the main entrance and right in front of a prominent, large "No Smoking" sign. Talk about flaunting it. Disgusting to say the least.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

pentona wrote:

Ok, I used the wrong word; its not illegal but it is most certainly against I.H. Policy, period. Also smoking near doorways also not permitted. So where do we see most of these folks smoking? Right in front of a doorway near the main entrance and right in front of a prominent, large "No Smoking" sign. Talk about flaunting it. Disgusting to say the least.

fully agree. Don't see any reason a person can't walk 10 metres for doors, windows etc. Also pretty simple for each hospital to throw a few picnic tables up somewhere. no need for an entire parking lot to be smoke free.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

gman313 wrote:
fully agree. Don't see any reason a person can't walk 10 metres for doors, windows etc. Also pretty simple for each hospital to throw a few picnic tables up somewhere. no need for an entire parking lot to be smoke free.

It would appear that yes, the simplest way to solve this mess (if I.H. won't enforce their own policy) is to place some picnic tables somewhere and call it done. (preferably around back; out of the main entrance and doorways).
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

pentona wrote:
gman313 wrote:

It would appear that yes, the simplest way to solve this mess (if I.H. won't enforce their own policy) is to place some picnic tables somewhere and call it done. (preferably around back; out of the main entrance and doorways).

I wonder if Hospital staff have a designated area they can smoke at?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

soupy wrote:

No they certainly do not, though they at least try to keep out of the main entrance/doorways; unlike some rude patients. The staff are going down by the Doctors parking lot, or else out back; however they are still in violation of I.H. policy, still.

Policy.
 Staff who do not follow this policy are subject to normal disciplinary practices.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

XT225 wrote:
soupy wrote:

No they certainly do not, though they at least try to keep out of the main entrance/doorways; unlike some rude patients. The staff are going down by the Doctors parking lot, or else out back; however they are still in violation of I.H. policy, still.

Policy.
 Staff who do not follow this policy are subject to normal disciplinary practices.

Well blame IH for not enforcing policies.

I have worked at sites in which a person caught smoking outside of a the designated area (or designated time, as smoking was only allowed during breaks) would be fired on the spot.
Only has to happen once for the rest to fall in line.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

soupy wrote:
Well blame IH for not enforcing policies.

I have worked at sites in which a person caught smoking outside of a the designated area (or designated time, as smoking was only allowed during breaks) would be fired on the spot.
Only has to happen once for the rest to fall in line.

I agree. Yet this still makes me laugh how anyone could put out something like this before cleaning up their mess. Never heard of an "Interior Health Tobacco Reduction person". Must be some new upper management position that was created for whatever reason, yet they haven't got a clue what is really going on down on the line.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... 87-21-.htm

I also agree re the staff; they should be setting the example; not adding to the problem and breaking their own company policy. Perhaps they are protected somehow under the union rules? Sad, if true.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

start firing your smoking staff when we already close ER's because they don't have staff, and see how well that goes.

it is not unreasonable to have a smoking area. It would solve the problem of smokers in doorways and give the non smokers what they want. It would be a reasonable accommodation for those with an addiction. both sides win.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

gman313 wrote:start firing your smoking staff when we already close ER's because they don't have staff, and see how well that goes.

it is not unreasonable to have a smoking area. It would solve the problem of smokers in doorways and give the non smokers what they want. It would be a reasonable accommodation for those with an addiction. both sides win.

Exactly problem solved easy peasy.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

gman313 wrote:

I would certainly go along with "RE"-establishing a smoking area out of the public view, though I am dead against smoking and avoid getting close to smoke or anyone who does smoke; however I respect their rights and freedoms. Remember there used to be a proper smoking area outside and it was well used and didn't cause a problem for anyone who didn't smoke. Non-smokers also have a right to not have to breathe in tobacco smoke. Both sides could win if I.H. Management could just get their head out of you know where. Why make a rule/policy if you have no intention of enforcing it? Just going to frustrate people.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

pentona wrote:Ok, I used the wrong word; its not illegal but it is most certainly against I.H. Policy, period. Also smoking near doorways also not permitted. So where do we see most of these folks smoking? Right in front of a doorway near the main entrance and right in front of a prominent, large "No Smoking" sign. Talk about flaunting it. Disgusting to say the least.

Hence my comment on the concept of a designated smoking area. Rocket Science :up:
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote: This is a public health facility … full of humans dealing with various life health issues. Allowing a known carcinogen to be consumed not only on IH property but right beside a damn parking machine where healthy and unhealthy individuals must stand in line to purchase a ticket to park just reeks of ignorance and a "we really don't give a damn mentality from senior hospital administration." Shameful, very shameful. I wouldn't even offer a smoking area (by the way I am a 20+ year ex smoker) yea the worst kind I know right! Screw them … make them quit. If they are sick enough to be in the hospital then why the hell are they outside in their hospital gowns in the middle of winter … smoking!! Oh and did I say … right beside the NO SMOKING SIGN. Not to sick for that … how can that be. Total ignorance … all I have to say. To those using the drug use analogy .. sure why not … let's let them shoot up out there as well. Come on people .. think about it.

Whoa southy!! I am an ex smoker as well but you need to re read this post of yours and take a Valium. "Screw them … make them quit".
Have you forgotten what it is like to be a slave to this drug? I haven't. There are countless studies that suggest nicotine is more addictive than even heroin. So yes, the analogy to opioid drug addiction measures is valid. We spend millions on Narcan, free needles, injection sites that are monitored by qualified medical response personnel and the very epicenter of community health care cannot find a 100 sq ft location on ten acres of property for a nicotine addict to curb their crave......of btw a legal product the govt taxes the zhit out of for general revenues. Both sad and hypocritical.
The problem here is all IH properties are designated as non smoking. All it would take is one small clause that said "except for X sq ft away from entrances and the general public". That would allow the hospital to create an area away from the ticket dispenser and the addicts would gladly go there rather than face the wrath of yourself and others. The Orderly with the patient didn't deserve your wrath either. What I read there is some compassion for the person in their care.
IH's blanket edict is the problem.
Last edited by twobits on Feb 23rd, 2019, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”