Lumber semi loses load and flips by Summerland......

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: Lumber semi loses load and flips by Summerland......

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

seewood wrote:
zoo wrote:The semi's are flipping because they are speeding, the reason they can is lack of serious enforcement.

A few years ago heading westbound through Rogers pass I think it was or perhaps Revelstoke Park, but anyway at a truck stop before a good long downhill where they are supposed to check the brakes, I witnessed perhaps 4-5 semi's doing 100+ ( they were passing me) pull over at full speed, touch the brakes ( lights came on) and carry on.

Pathetic display of "professional" driver.
I do believe the majority are terrific and take their job seriously but a few inattentive ones can really screw up your day.

I question the accuracy of what you wrote..
Between Sicamous and Golden the only place that sounds like that is Rogers Pass summit, which may not have a truckstop, but has a brake check. I suppose it may be possible to hit 100kph there, but if they did not lower that speed a lot in around the kilometer, they would have big trouble on the hill heading west. I don't thinknthey would make the first few corners.
IT may seem they were going that fast, but I have my doubts
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

However, and I am not suggesting anyone try this.
I did know one guy hauling logs that often ran well over 100 kph on the eastern side of Rogers Pass,
Don't know how fast he started the descent, but after a certain point he would let it go.
I thought at first he may be pulling my leg, but other drivers confirmed it..

I think he has likely slowed down a bit, funny how things play out..
I like to think him pulling the Japanese bus crash wreckage out of the snowshed, likely gave him a chance to reflect on things..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:IT may seem they were going that fast, but I have my doubts

Doubt away. I usually drive a tad over. Some were passing me.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
norm35

Post by norm35 »

Came across these stats, older but my guess is they would still be relevant.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s National Center for Statistics and Analysis, more accidents occurred with cars than with trucks in 2011:
The number of occupants killed in accidents involving: passenger cars (11,981), light trucks (9,272) and large trucks (635).
The number of occupants injured in accidents involving: passenger cars (1,240,000), light trucks (728,000) and large trucks (23,000).
In 2011, there were 9,878 alcohol-impaired-driving fatalities including drivers with a BAC of 0.08 or higher, 24% for drivers of passenger cars, 21% for light-truck drivers, and 1% for drivers of large trucks.
3,757 of all motor vehicle traffic fatalities involved large trucks (more than 10,000 pounds). Of those crashes, 72% were occupants of other vehicles and 17% were occupants of large trucks. 70% of large trucks collided with other vehicles in transit.

Source
http://bigcitydriver.com/2013/06/compar ... accidents/
Another good read, free from I.C.B.C. Not much is these days. you can download the manual "driving Commercial Vehicles"
https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/d ... icles.aspx

Like more reading about commercial vehicle inspections,: https://cvsa.org/inspections/inspections/

Don't imagine it will slow down the speculation much.

Actor Jack Webb's Sgt. Joe Friday, "Just the facts, ma'am"?
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

well so far no more news about it...probably something happened like tire blowout....if it was criminal then it would have been more story to follow
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

From what I’ve heard from people who know, it sounds like the truck driver fell asleep at the wheel fairly early into his driving day.

Now, as for the why...?
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Apex250

Post by Apex250 »

KL3-Something wrote:From what I’ve heard from people who know, it sounds like the truck driver fell asleep at the wheel fairly early into his driving day.

Now, as for the why...?

Not according to the police
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#255206
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Apex250 wrote:
KL3-Something wrote:From what I’ve heard from people who know, it sounds like the truck driver fell asleep at the wheel fairly early into his driving day.

Now, as for the why...?

Not according to the police
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#255206

I belive KL3-Something was likely referring to the previous MVI with the semi that lost its load of lumber. This more recent one with your link is not the same one at all.
Apex250

Post by Apex250 »

Oops!! Too many wrecks on that road.

Return to “South Okanagan”