Sitting or Laying Down on Sidewalks Banned

soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Sitting or Laying Down on Sidewalks Banned

Post by soupy »

southy wrote:So, if they can't fine them, how exactly are they going to enforce it?

As someone said it will begin with verbal and written warnings. That is a form of enforcement.
And there is a bylaw that backs these warnings now. Not just "move along please", now it is "move along please, you are in contravention of bylaw ******"
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I understand … however, after that then what? Issue them a $100 ticket they won't pay? Then after they don't pay it - then what? I am not sure if this process is really the way to go because I don't see anyway in that the city can actually enforce it for a positive outcome. Perhaps with our city folk being in Quebec they will gain some insight on how best to handle this. I actually applaud Julius Bloomfield who I believe stated the city should maybe wait till they attend this conference and see what is being done in other areas of Canada.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

southy wrote:I understand … however, after that then what? Issue them a $100 ticket they won't pay? Then after they don't pay it - then what? I am not sure if this process is really the way to go because I don't see anyway in that the city can actually enforce it for a positive outcome. Perhaps with our city folk being in Quebec they will gain some insight on how best to handle this. I actually applaud Julius Bloomfield who I believe stated the city should maybe wait till they attend this conference and see what is being done in other areas of Canada.

Debtors prison. 10 dollars a day. 100 dollar ticket. 10 days
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

southy wrote:I understand … however, after that then what? Issue them a $100 ticket they won't pay? Then after they don't pay it - then what? I am not sure if this process is really the way to go because I don't see anyway in that the city can actually enforce it for a positive outcome. Perhaps with our city folk being in Quebec they will gain some insight on how best to handle this. I actually applaud Julius Bloomfield who I believe stated the city should maybe wait till they attend this conference and see what is being done in other areas of Canada.

So you would prefer no action at this time and just wait and see?
I'd like to see mandatory community service to pay off a ticket.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Perhaps - but how did that work with Paul?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Perhaps - but how did that work with Paul? Also, I believe the RCMP even went so far as to say … arresting them isn't the answer. So we are in a situation where we kind of know what the problem is .. but we don't know what the solution to that problem is ... yet. I'm not saying we shouldn't do something … it's just that we really need to look at what that "something" is and whether or not it will resolve the issue.
Country plough boy
Übergod

southy wrote:Perhaps - but how did that work with Paul? Also, I believe the RCMP even went so far as to say … arresting them isn't the answer. So we are in a situation where we kind of know what the problem is .. but we don't know what the solution to that problem is ... yet. I'm not saying we shouldn't do something … it's just that we really need to look at what that "something" is and whether or not it will resolve the issue.

Then the RCNMP needs new direction
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

soupy wrote:
southy wrote:So you would prefer no action at this time and just wait and see?
I'd like to see mandatory community service to pay off a ticket.

An action which produces zero results, is no better than zero action. Your second suggestion wouldn't work either, because you would have a plethora of SJWs all over you. They would probably call you a "Nazi", or something.The only solution to this problem is to make Penticton less attractive place for them to congregate. So, instead of treating them as darlings, unleash full-on intimidation and harrasement, until they find a more friendly place elsewhere. Not just by bylaw officers and cops, but citizens taking part, as well.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Mike Br. wrote:So, instead of treating them as darlings, unleash full-on intimidation and harrasement, until they find a more friendly place elsewhere

I wonder what would the HA charge?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Interesting situation... I would have enjoyed dialogue from the protest organizers, where they would be asked probing questions and perhaps we could learn more. The new journalistic standard is to hold a mike, perhaps asking the one MAJOR questions we always hear, "How did this make you feel" and let the party say what they like without interruptions or questions.

I for one would have like to know who paid for the obviously expensive photo's of the Penticton City Counselors on display, by the group of primarily destitute homeless people.

OK, assuming it's 100% wrong to stop homeless people from sitting and camping out all over downtown Penticton sidewalks, how should city counsel deal with the stores, and in the future, the entire tourist industry that will suffer from this practice ?

The City of Vancouver created a pedestrian mall out of the downtown segment of Granville Street. The length of the street turned into a lawless ghetto, any decent retail outlet moved on, many vacant storefronts.

These homeless people, presumably have a reason for locating themselves in the downtown core of Penticton. Is it to panhandle ? Sell, buy drugs ? So when the non-homeless people discontinue patronizing the downtown, do the homeless intend on begging from each other ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

southy wrote:Perhaps - but how did that work with Paul?

Paul situation was handled poorly. Id have preferred to see him hauled into a cell each time he didn't move. Interrupt his lifestyle as much as possible.

Won't pay the fine? Community service it is.
Won't do the service? Suspend welfare, revoke shelter bed (if they have one).
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

seewood wrote:I wonder what would the HA charge?

A six-pack? Twelve? :135: Well spent, in my mind.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
Country plough boy
Übergod

Well usually they want half of whatever they are going after. Seeing as the targets have nothing. Im guessing it wouldnt be cheap. They would want payment up front. They might even decide to go after the guy who gave them the job
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Country plough boy wrote:Well usually they want half of whatever they are going after. Seeing as the targets have nothing. Im guessing it wouldnt be cheap. They would want payment up front. They might even decide to go after the guy who gave them the job

They better watch it or they will get a bad reputation.
Black Dogs Matter
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

And IMHO, Julius has just aligned himself with the social worker we have as the top cop in town. Both need to be purged now.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”