Pharmacy worker's fatal OD

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/264810/Pharmacy-worker-s-fatal-OD

Here’s a kid that had no signs of drug or alcohol abuse. Did he mistakenly ingest methadone left out for someone else? The pharmacy does not have a great track record of keeping things under lock and key.
During that visit, inspectors noticed a one litre bottle of methadone stored in an unlocked cabinet.

My condolences to the family.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Re: Pharmacy worker's fatal OD

Post by Symbonite »

I'm surprised that this place is still allowed to be open and yet the City and law always go after the pot shops lol..
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

seems to me this pharmacist should be in jail, looks like she does not give to poops about canadian law, https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#264810 http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... 6eceb.html
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I was wondering why a pharmacy would even have Methadone, so I googled up What is Methadone.

It turns out it is a opioid medication used to treat severe pain and opioid addiction.
https://www.camh.ca/en/health-info/ment ... /methadone

To me it doesn't make sense to use a ( most likely ) addictive drug to fight a drug addiction.
I know first hand that the withdralls can be nasty, however I still think the only way to fight any addiction is cold turkey when you are ready.
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

80 percent of her business is methadone. Shut that drug dealer down !
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Just so no one is questioning me.
I broke my back in 2003, and eventually ended up on one Tramadol pill every day to deal with the pain for years.
https://www.healthline.com/health/tramadol-oral-tablet
When I forgot to take one I would get a nasty reminder usually at work and wonder why I was feeling sick. The symptoms would get worse and worse until I took another pill.
After a while I wouldn't last a day before feeling sick, and towards the end the meds would only be effective for possibly 16 hours a day leaving me suffering for 8 hours a day.

We eventually found out that the initial less addictive pain killers I was on caused kidney stones, which was what was causing my pain.
Had the kidney stone surgery, and my back pain went away.

So I asked my doctor if I could stop taking the pain meds, and he said yes.
I was honestly having withdralls for a full year.
Thankfully I was able to function after a couple weeks.

I wouldn't wish the withdrawals I went through on anyone. However it was worth it in the long run just to get off themeds.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

1791 wrote:80 percent of her business is methadone. Shut that drug dealer down !

You can't get Methadone without a prescription and a lot of those are prescribed by Provincial Health Doctors for patients trying to get clean.

She's not the one giving out the prescriptions, she's only providing the product for those who need it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
jtt

Post by jtt »

Bsuds wrote:
You can't get Methadone without a prescription and a lot of those are prescribed by Provincial Health Doctors for patients trying to get clean.

She's not the one giving out the prescriptions, she's only providing the product for those who need it.

Yeah just getting people the medication they need... as well as allowing it to fall into the hands of a minor with fatal consequences. There should be criminal charges here as well as the revoking of any dispensing credentials.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

jtt wrote:
Yeah just getting people the medication they need... as well as allowing it to fall into the hands of a minor with fatal consequences. There should be criminal charges here as well as the revoking of any dispensing credentials.

I agree with that. It seems she is grossly incompetent in the way she is handling the meds and as far as I'm concerned under the circumstances should lose her license.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

1791 wrote:80 percent of her business is methadone. Shut that drug dealer down !

100% correct...............
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

If the kid's first inclination is to drink out of any bottles he sees around...is it pharmacy's fault or Darwin theory at work?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

from the looks of her track record-- her--
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

My viewpoint is we really don't know how much Methadone the average pharmacy sells.

I would hope the authorities would monitor the situation.
Any pharmacy that sells an excessive amount should be audited.
At the same time the pharmacies should be monitoring the amounts the doctors prescribe, and reporting anything suspicious to those authorities.

As for the way she stored that bottle. It was inexcusable.
If she was short on space i am wondering if there was something safe and non controlled she could have left out of the cabinet.
SouthernOkanagan

Post by SouthernOkanagan »

I said to myself a long time ago that Joelle Mbamy keeps going from bad to worse with everything she does, some day someone's gonna die.
Well, it happened under her watch, time to shut it all down, that darn pharmacy hasn't operated correctly since the very day it first opened!
When you go AWOL from your pharmacy during business hours as much as she does I'm surprised it made it past the first year without something like this happening, she's got way too much on her plate, and to leave your very young daughter in charge while you're gone isn't exactly proper proceedure!
I've personally witnessed the daughter answering questions about some drugs and making sales of and giving out filled prescription drugs to customers when her mom isn't even there!

This place needs to be looked at by ALL levels, including our city to see what can be done to shut it down, not just the college of pharmacists.

My three cents.

Return to “South Okanagan”