Soup kitchen open again

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Soup kitchen open again

Post by the truth »

SouthernOkanagan wrote:Yay! Hooray!
It's open again!

"Now we can go back to spending our social assistance maintenance portion of our cheque on drugs and or alcohol instead of being forced to buy food with it like the province says we should!"

Notice that's in quotes. :biggrin:

exactly.........
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jimbop

Post by Jimbop »

People with a legit need for this service are far and few. Go visit the soup kitchen on a busy day. It's an eye opener. Or maybe not. I totally agree with working for what you get. Society has made people lazy. In the early 80s, jobs were scarce, very scarce. I myself, have never been so broke and down and out. If you wanted to eat and have shelter, you found a job. Didn't matter what job. Pull weeds, pick up garbage, go door to door. I found people more giving and sympathetic to someone with the will to work and provide for themselves, instead of sitting on your but with your hand out.
When people work for what they want or need, they contribute to society and themselves. It gives them a sense of accomplishment and pride at the end of the day. If you really want something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Jimbop wrote:People with a legit need for this service are far and few. Go visit the soup kitchen on a busy day. It's an eye opener. Or maybe not. I totally agree with working for what you get. Society has made people lazy. In the early 80s, jobs were scarce, very scarce. I myself, have never been so broke and down and out. If you wanted to eat and have shelter, you found a job. Didn't matter what job. Pull weeds, pick up garbage, go door to door. I found people more giving and sympathetic to someone with the will to work and provide for themselves, instead of sitting on your but with your hand out.
When people work for what they want or need, they contribute to society and themselves. It gives them a sense of accomplishment and pride at the end of the day. If you really want something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

100% correct................
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:Here we enter the realm of addiction and mental health issues, a maze at the best of times, where a "choice" that most on the outside see as obvious and simple is anything but that. It's easy to look down your nose at the marginalized, saying they brought it on themselves and that they deserve their lot in life and washing your hands of any sort of social responsibility to treat it as an illness. Governments of all stripes find it easy to continually whittle away at funding for treatment treatment because for one, the success rate is low because these issues are not fully understood, and two, these programs are an easy target when it comes to cost cutting because most people would rather just look away.

Addiction and mental health.......have become synonymous terms referencing the same people. Until that distinction is made clear to the funding taxpayer, there is no hope for either.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

twobits wrote:Addiction and mental health.......have become synonymous terms referencing the same people. Until that distinction is made clear to the funding taxpayer, there is no hope for either.

Hehe, don't hold your breath, much of the medical profession is still scratching their heads over that one.

A big part of the problem is making things clear to regular folk. While "choice" is a black-and-white issue to most, it's not for an addict and that presents a big obstacle for securing funding. People will say "it's the choice they make" and turn away without understanding that "choice" as most know it is simply not available to an addict. And if you don't find that confusing then you're doing better than most.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “South Okanagan”