Penticton Surf Wave

nihiriju

Penticton Surf Wave

Post by nihiriju »

Has anyone considered adding some more productive amenities to our water outflow from the lake?

A standing surf wave could be implemented at a variety of cost structures depending on requirements and enable plenty of downstream economic potential.

A recent study in Calgary showed that a wave there could generate up to $6,000,000 in revenue annually. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Boosted632
Banned

Re: Penticton Surf Wave

Post by Boosted632 »

6 mil lol more like 6 mil to build and then it makes a 1000 bucks a year and 200 k in maintenance and liability
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

April fools day was a week ago.

It'll never happen lol
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

nihiriju wrote:Has anyone considered adding some more productive amenities to our water outflow from the lake?

Never happen. Channel is now a migratory fish bearing water course.
Really doubt anyone with a couple of million laying about will want to build one in Penticton for a perhaps 10-12 week season.
If the PIB are not on board, nothing will happen.

Nothing to see, move along.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
rekka

Post by rekka »

I have thought for a while that would be a good idea. Doesn't cost a lot to build, zero maintenance, zero staffing required. Probably no impact to wildlife, (there are already concrete blocks right below the dam. They just need to be a different shape, and the salmon ladder is at the side.) It should just be an amenity, like the skatepark or beach. There would be an economic impact, even if hard to measure. For example, when I moved to Canada from Europe, one of the reasons I chose Penticton was the upcoming new skatepark. I might not be spending tourist dollars, but I built a home, got a job, then started a business, 17 years later I'm still here.
So much negativity.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Would cost millions.
Would never be allowed on migratory fish bearing water course.
The river in Calgary is very wide and they have the ability to only use part of the river, allowing fish to be separated easily.
The shorelines would have to be extensively changed in order to stop erosion due to the wave.
etc...
next..
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

rekka wrote:I have thought for a while that would be a good idea. Doesn't cost a lot to build, zero maintenance, zero staffing required. Probably no impact to wildlife, (there are already concrete blocks right below the dam. They just need to be a different shape, and the salmon ladder is at the side.) It should just be an amenity, like the skatepark or beach. There would be an economic impact, even if hard to measure. For example, when I moved to Canada from Europe, one of the reasons I chose Penticton was the upcoming new skatepark. I might not be spending tourist dollars, but I built a home, got a job, then started a business, 17 years later I'm still here.
So much negativity.

So with zero staffing it would be a public free for all?
Who is liable for injuries?
rekka

Post by rekka »

soupy wrote:
rekka wrote:I have thought for a while that would be a good idea. Doesn't cost a lot to build, zero maintenance, zero staffing required. Probably no impact to wildlife, (there are already concrete blocks right below the dam. They just need to be a different shape, and the salmon ladder is at the side.) It should just be an amenity, like the skatepark or beach. There would be an economic impact, even if hard to measure. For example, when I moved to Canada from Europe, one of the reasons I chose Penticton was the upcoming new skatepark. I might not be spending tourist dollars, but I built a home, got a job, then started a business, 17 years later I'm still here.
So much negativity.

So with zero staffing it would be a public free for all?
Who is liable for injuries?

Yes, who is liable if you drown floating down the channel or fall climbing Skaha bluffs?
nihiriju

Post by nihiriju »

Wow! Well at least this elicited a response!...although a lot of negative naysayers to start.

A few points:

1) This doesn't need to cost millions of dollars, the bare bones version would be to a big concrete block slightly redesigned to generate a wave and put some easier aggregate along the or a dock for people to get in and out on.
Munich created theirs by accident and it has been a huge hit for the city.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4x6mY-KPN4&feature=emb_logo

2) Fish habitat does not need to be further degraded by this and could be improved depending on how much $$ you want to spend. It is not an A or B choice as fish could still swim this course and the ladder is already on side.

3) The current damn looks more like a dystopian prison centre than a feature for the city. There is so much more potential here, just open your eyes for a second. Image

4) Per the image above there is already a standing wave that I am sure someone could surf, however it could be adjusted to be much more user friendly and depending on how much is invested could be adjustable to turn on and off.

5) Liability: How do public parks works? Skate parks? Natural Features? There are many liability issues to resolve, yes, but that doesn't mean the city has to be blindly liable. It could be a public feature for use at your own risk ( see Munich), or it could be a managed and controlled entity run by the City or the PIB for profit, in which case they would develop and carry liability insurance.

The largest issues I see is who would lead this charge to get through the political will-power? The actual physical construction and infrastructure is nothing compared to all of ye naysayers. :130: :biggrin:
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Don't get me wrong. I think it would be an amazing feature, and as a wake-surfer (ocean surfer on vacation) I love the idea.

Unfortunately i just don't foresee it happening in this location.
Likely a better chance to build the feature and a water park at the same time.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Oh, another point. In the summer the gates are pretty much closed or at least at a minimum water flow for downstream contracts/treaties. Nothing like you see while the lake level is being lowered in preparation for the snow melt.( now)
SouthernOkanagan

Post by SouthernOkanagan »

1, Age limits, size limits, safety rules and who's going to enforce them to maintain some sort of safety level?
2, Liability.
3, Lawsuits.
4, Existing dam is often closed or full open at various times throughout the year, this waterway and dam controls flows for U.S. interests as well.
5, The fish and wildlife impact, especially at this particular dam and waterway.
6, Penticton Indian Band concerns and interests.
7, Neighborhood feasibility study re: Redwing homes.
8, Provincial government approval.

I don't think they'd ever approve something like that on this dam and waterway, it was built to control the flow of water and flooding in the 1950's, instead of the oxbows that originally snaked throughout areas from Okanagan Lake to Skaha Lake which constantly flooded and had no measure of control whatsoever.
It's become an important fish and avian species habitat, not to mention it's water control importance here in Penticton, along the entire river's length and to the communities downstream, even into the United States.

I do see that a surf wave plan could be implemented in many ways and many different styles and construction methods to vastly limit any impact on the animals, water flow and control and aesthetics of the area, but it's in my opinion that based on the importance they place on the entire system they'd never allow it to happen.
Frankly, I agree with anyone who has the same thoughts on it, never in a million years, for this particular spot anyhow, I'm not against it for the right area, the right waterway and the right town or city, just not THERE and not on that waterway.

Sorry, my two cents added up to a little more, about a buck eighty three ($1.83) by my count!
It's good that we discuss and talk about this kind of thing, I like hearing all sides in things like this!

Regards, @SouthOkanagan.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Armchair engineers. Can't happen. Won't happen.
They can't even put a low pressure turbine in the outflow to generate power. How in Hades would a stationary wave park get past the Ministry of Everything?
Last edited by twobits on Apr 10th, 2020, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Most folks who want to surf here do it behind a boat
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

twobits wrote:. How in Hades would a stationary wave park get past the Ministry of Everything?

AKA: PIB

Return to “South Okanagan”