Summerland Dog Control

my5cents
Guru

Summerland Dog Control

Post by my5cents »

Vicious dog attack on trail in Summerland -

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ack#299289

On reading this story, where an aggressive dog OFF LEASH attacks a smaller dog, then the owner of the injured dog, can't hang around and talk, she heads to the emergency vet to save her dog's life.

What surprized me was that she reported the incident to "local dog control". Not that she reported it, that there is local dog control.

I live near some sports fields and a school yard in Summerland, very popular with dog owners. In the eleven years I have lived here, I have never seen any dog control. But I see on a daily basis about 70% of dogs off leash.

IF there is a Dog Control Officer, the image in my mind is that of the Maytag washing machine repairman sitting in an office doing absolutely nothing, feet up. The "Maytag repairman" was pictured with his feet up on his desk because there were no Maytag machines to be fixed (no work). Not quite the circumstances in Summerland.

I know their answer would be "if there is a problem, we will deal with it" just call and report it. I don't think they will accept "the problem" as being "the dog control officer isn't doing his/her job", ever.

We don't own a dog. My wife avoids the parks near our home because she feels uneasy with all the dogs off leash.

That's not right.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
rob_c

Re: Summerland Dog Control

Post by rob_c »

:130:

aosuNC8WUEHCYUBEFQ
Last edited by rob_c on Jul 5th, 2020, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You must have your dog on a leash while on a highway, in a park or other public place unless it is a designated dog area, and try to stay at least 10 m (30 ft) away from playgrounds. Please look for and obey all signage.

Please consult our bylaw (46KB PDF) for more information.

https://www.summerland.ca/city-services ... ng-control

Bylaw officers have a wide range of duties and I believe complaint driven.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

I agree with you completely.

It seems as if Dog owners do not have any form of enforcement for their behavior.
The School District does not have the staffing (or adequate enforcement) to patrol their fields 24/7 and I see many people abusing this.

I myself love dogs and am not fearful of them, and respect those that are well behaved. But my mother is quite fearful of dogs, especially larger breeds, and it is quite nerve racking when a large dog approaches her regardless of the dog's behavior.
With that being said, if I am ever forced to, i will defend myself and others (others' dogs too) as best I can if needed.

**On a few occasions when I have had an unleashed dog approach me (friendly ones) I have simply held onto their collar and I simply said to the approaching owner. "Your dog seems to have gotten away from you, I'll hold it here until you can put the leash back on".
rob_c

Post by rob_c »

:smt045
isjdncihebdncuhbwd
Last edited by rob_c on Jul 5th, 2020, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Fancy wrote:Bylaw officers have a wide range of duties and I believe complaint driven.

Yes, I know, enforcement by complaint, I said that.

When you consider reality, unless there is a serious incident there will be no complaint. Can you imagine the owner of an injured dog hanging around instead of racing to a vet trying to ID the dog and owner.

Once the dog control is advised of the complaint the offending unleashed dog and owner are long gone.

I can't make a complaint saying "every day I see X unleashed dogs at ……" That would be laughed at.

Someone has to understand that we need proactive enforcement not reactive.

A huge percentage of dog owners feel their is dog friendly and doesn't require a leash. I've read the dog bylaw, nope, no exception for "friendly dog".

Only answer is enforcement, with tickets and fines. It's not like the owners aren't aware they should have their mutt on a leash, they just know nothing will happen to them. Even if the beast attacks a smaller dog, they just take off.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

rob_c wrote:While most dog owners are very good in controlling their dogs....there are some who just don't get it.When I read that this person"thought their dog was ok off leash"....I am thinking they should not be owning a dog....or at the very least be educated to know that if you do not know for certain what your dog is going to do off leash...then have it on a leash.I live in Oliver and most people with dogs on the trails here do not have their dogs leashed.I think it is rude and inconsiderate, and arrogant of them to think "their dog is ok".Having said that most at least keep control and have well behaved dogs.But their is the odd one with a large dog that runs all over the place with the owner watching and seemingly not concerned for the comfort or well being of others.In my humble opinion there should be some degree of enforcement for having dogs on leashes....unfortunately because of the actions of a few inconsiderate (perhaps uneducated about dogs?) people.I have never seen any enforcement where I live.I once phoned in to the town a complaint about behaviour on the trail here and received no response.

Yes I agree with most of what you said, these dog owners are inconsiderate, arrogant and naïve as to their responsibilities and yes, there should be proactive enforcement. Enforcement by complaint doesn't work for an entity that is moving. If you are reporting your neighbor that build a 25 foot fence, yes, that works, but dog and owner are mobile.

"or at the very least be educated to know that if you do not know for certain what your dog is going to do off leash...then have it on a leash"

That is exactly what I'm talking about. The rule is unless you and your dog is at an off leash park, your dog must be on leash. It doesn't matter if "you know for certain what your dog is going to do off leash". That's not the law.

The speed limit is XX, but I'm a great driver and I have a fantastic vehicle, I can safely go XXX, so is that OK ? No, of course not.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

rob_c wrote:I just wish there was a little more action on behalf of the municipality to try and get the message out to people who have large dogs and continualy do not leash them in areas where there is a bylaw requiring that they be leashed.

Size doesn't matter. Leash = leash
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

I think Summerland contracts out dog control.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

rob_c wrote:I just wish there was a little more action on behalf of the municipality to try and get the message out to people who have large dogs and continualy do not leash them in areas where there is a bylaw requiring that they be leashed.

Oh, I think they know the rules.

"....in areas where there is a bylaw requiring that they be leashed." So, we're talking about Summerland.

Here's the : "Summerland Dog Regulation and Impounding Bylaw"

16. For the purpose of sections 16 to 21, "unlawfully at large" means
    (a) not leashed and under the control of a competent person while on a highway, park or
    other public place, or

(b) not confined within a building or vehicle or securely tethered or prevented from leaving
    the property by a fence, while on the property of the owner of the dog or other private
    property with the consent of the owner of the property.

17. No dog owner shall permit any dog to be unlawfully at large.

18. No dog owner shall take or allow any dog onto any public beaches, swimming areas, parks or
    school grounds, unless the park or public area has been otherwise designated by resolution of
    the District of Summerland and posted "Dog on Leash Allowed" or "Dog Swimming Area".

"highway, park or other public place" So anywhere on public property in Summerland a dog must be leashed,

EXCEPT :

"and no dog on any public beach, swimming area, park or school grounds unless or public area is designated and posted "Dog on Leash Allowed" "
Miss Maggie
Fledgling

Post by Miss Maggie »

seewood wrote:I think Summerland contracts out dog control.

Used to be same dog control person as the Penticton dog control.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Miss Maggie wrote:Used to be same dog control person as the Penticton dog control.

And Rose hung up the leash a couple of years ago.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Miss Maggie
Fledgling

Post by Miss Maggie »

seewood wrote:
Miss Maggie wrote:Used to be same dog control person as the Penticton dog control.

And Rose hung up the leash a couple of years ago.

Looks like her replacement also took over Summerland contract.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

my5cents wrote:Vicious dog attack on trail in Summerland -

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ack#299289

On reading this story, where an aggressive dog OFF LEASH attacks a smaller dog, then the owner of the injured dog, can't hang around and talk, she heads to the emergency vet to save her dog's life.

What surprized me was that she reported the incident to "local dog control". Not that she reported it, that there is local dog control.

I live near some sports fields and a school yard in Summerland, very popular with dog owners. In the eleven years I have lived here, I have never seen any dog control. But I see on a daily basis about 70% of dogs off leash.

IF there is a Dog Control Officer, the image in my mind is that of the Maytag washing machine repairman sitting in an office doing absolutely nothing, feet up. The "Maytag repairman" was pictured with his feet up on his desk because there were no Maytag machines to be fixed (no work). Not quite the circumstances in Summerland.

I know their answer would be "if there is a problem, we will deal with it" just call and report it. I don't think they will accept "the problem" as being "the dog control officer isn't doing his/her job", ever.

We don't own a dog. My wife avoids the parks near our home because she feels uneasy with all the dogs off leash.

That's not right.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I didn't see anywhere that the small dogs were on a leash.
Black Dogs Matter

Return to “South Okanagan”