Summerland Dog Control

my5cents
Guru

Re: Summerland Dog Control

Post by my5cents »

dogspoiler wrote:I didn't see anywhere that the small dogs were on a leash.

Nor did I. Of course all dogs should be on leash.

Yes, you have a small friendly dog, but you've also got a much better chance of saving it if you've got control of it, when it is approached by a large dog.

They may have been, they may not have been. If they were not, don't think two wrongs make it alright for the attack, however.

If the small dogs weren't I expect a statement once again "yes, but my dogs were friendly"

Oh and small dogs,,, I have a friend who breeds Scottish Terriers, you don't want your "big" dog to tangle with them.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Or dachshunds - one sent an adult shepherd to the vets. Zero reason not to have a dog on a leash.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Fancy wrote:Or dachshunds - one sent an adult shepherd to the vets. Zero reason not to have a dog on a leash.

Well, unless you count walking with your unleashed dog while texting and reading your cell phone completely ignoring your dog and miss, most of the times when the dog leaving a "present" for someone to step in. I'm sure it cuts down on the number of bags one needs.
Last edited by my5cents on May 13th, 2020, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
curious2know

Post by curious2know »

Well last spring I had communication with Summerlands dog patrol and she doesn’t want to do anything but maybe fix her hair and if you interrupt the process her sparkling personality and motivation becomes very apparent.

If you call she has a million excuses why she shouldn’t do her job and if you go straight to the dog owner they also have a million reasons why not to do their job.

Did you know if you live on an interface, dogs are going to bark.

So I guess pretty much all of BC doesn’t need dog patrol.

Oh and if you complain about constant barking and your neighbour doesn’t there is no problem. You need more then one complaint.

Yes she is also responsible for Penticton. Both Penticton and Summerland are waiting there money on hair supplies and a uniform.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 14th, 2020, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
ryan63

Post by ryan63 »

Soupy said: "On a few occasions when I have had an unleashed dog approach me (friendly ones) I have simply held onto their collar and I simply said to the approaching owner. "Your dog seems to have gotten away from you, I'll hold it here until you can put the leash back on".

I'm curious to hear more about how those interactions went. Can't imagine dog owners reacting well to having strangers put a hand on their beloved "family members."

It's truly a pity that people are discouraged from entering public parks and beaches because of the large number of irresponsible dog owners that can't be bothered to follow the rules. Some of them seem genuinely clueless about the effects of their actions. Others know full well that they shouldn't be running their dogs off-leash and just don't care.

If there's a way to effectively deal with these folks in a manner that doesn't escalate into angry confrontations, I'd love to hear about it. If someone has been asked to leash their dog and refuses to do so, what should be done? It's clear that Summerland has little to no bylaw enforcement regarding this issue. And standing your ground and saying you'll wait right there until their dogs are leashed doesn't sound too pleasant. Maybe pull out a whiffle ball and nine iron and practice your golf swing until they get the message? Obviously also an unpleasant situation but at least you can work on your chip shot!
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

ryan63 wrote:Soupy said: "On a few occasions when I have had an unleashed dog approach me (friendly ones) I have simply held onto their collar and I simply said to the approaching owner. "Your dog seems to have gotten away from you, I'll hold it here until you can put the leash back on".

I'm curious to hear more about how those interactions went. Can't imagine dog owners reacting well to having strangers put a hand on their beloved "family members."

I can give you a few examples of memorable situations.

1. Dog owner letting dog run lose on school field whist a neighborhood cat was strolling around. Dog exited the field, ran across the street and began to attack the cat. I intervened and held the dog until the owner came over. She was EXTREMELY apologetic and I gave her a bit of a verbal lashing and pointed at the dog park 1/2 block away. (This was Richter street in Kelowna)

2. Dog owner at a family beach with Pitbull off leash throwing a ball into the water (im not a breed hater, but an irresponsible owner hater). Kindly told the owner it was not a dog beach and some families around appear to be afraid. He cocked his arm to throw the ball at me and told me where to go. Luckily his embarrassing actions drew even more attention to himself and he quickly vacated the beach after seeing peoples ears perk up and a few reach for their phones.

Luckily a few other interactions were more as i had previously described. In those 2-3 situations I just tend to "play dumb" and make the owner believe that the dog really had just got away from the leash. It usually ends with a little story of me telling the dog owner how I am a dog lover myself etc etc. But then I always ensure to let them know my mother and aunt are not, and provide examples of even how a "gorgeous golden retriever" off leash can terrify some people.

**small caveat. I am a male who can be assertive and stand my ground so it does help prevent a bad owner from getting angry at this stranger.
Last edited by soupy on May 29th, 2020, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Well, look what happened in New York. A man was watching birds, an unleashed dog came by and I assume chased the birds. He asked nicely for the young "lady" in charge of the dog to put a leash on her dog. (now don't forget this is New York and the USA), she went nuts, called the police alleging that an "African American man was attacking her", all the while virtually strangling the dog by dragging it around by it's collar.

We can see how in the environment in the USA, this could have had catastrophic consequences. Fortunately it didn't. The male had videoed the interaction, when it appeared she was unstable, the video went viral, resulting her loosing her job and the dog being taken back by the animal rescue agency that she had obtained the dog from.

Even though the outcome was good, the male likely will think twice next time this happens.

Now Summerland "enforces" their dog bylaw by complaint only. Go to the District of Summerland web site and see if you can find the phone number for dog control, or a link to report a dog violation. Good luck.

If a town has decided not to enforce a bylaw, except by complaint, shouldn't it be incumbent on them to clearly provide a means to report ?????
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

The male in question feels sorry the woman got fired but most people say it was the right thing to do. Apparently the company (Franklin Templeton) doesn't tolerate racism.

"Following our internal review of the incident in Central Park yesterday, we have made the decision to terminate the employee involved, effective immediately. We do not tolerate racism of any kind," the company said on Twitter.

Here's the video of the woman ... now dubbed Central Park Nancy.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “South Okanagan”