Open Liquor Allowed?

rob_c

Open Liquor Allowed?

Post by rob_c »

:130:

SXUYD YCWudgcuhqwBYUD VQ9E7WBD0C0
Last edited by rob_c on Jul 5th, 2020, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boosted632
Banned

Re: Open Liquor Allowed?

Post by Boosted632 »

A brilliant idea thats long overdue time to step out of the 1940s people
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Anyone who is inclined to drink to that level of excess on a beach already does, no reason that a respectful individual shouldn’t be able to have a cold beer with their toes in the sand.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Gilchy wrote:...no reason that a respectful individual shouldn’t be able to have a cold beer with their toes in the sand.

Is it realistic to think that if the rules are loosened that they wouldn't be taken advantage of? Not by everyone I agree, but summertime drinking has led to problems here in the past. Has anything really changed? Where have all the night clubs gone and why?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rob_c

Post by rob_c »

:130:

KQWIDUXUYUQWI7
Last edited by rob_c on Jul 5th, 2020, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

fluffy wrote:
Gilchy wrote:...no reason that a respectful individual shouldn’t be able to have a cold beer with their toes in the sand.

Is it realistic to think that if the rules are loosened that they wouldn't be taken advantage of? Not by everyone I agree, but summertime drinking has led to problems here in the past. Has anything really changed? Where have all the night clubs gone and why?

What I’m saying is anyone who wants to drink at the beach already does. The liability of the bars and clubs you refer to lay with the serving licence. Grabbing a 24 pack and heading to the beach to get wasted already happens, but change the laws to specifically target the public intoxication, rather than assume absolutely everyone with a drink is a moral hazard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Gilchy wrote:What I’m saying is anyone who wants to drink at the beach already does. The liability of the bars and clubs you refer to lay with the serving licence. Grabbing a 24 pack and heading to the beach to get wasted already happens, but change the laws to specifically target the public intoxication, rather than assume absolutely everyone with a drink is a moral hazard.

It may turn out to be nothing to worry about, it's a safe bet that increased freedom will bring with it increased surveillance to insure the new freedoms aren't taken advantage of. But "heading to the beach to get wasted" is a far cry from sharing a bottle of wine over lunch at a picnic table. I'm concerned that there will be those he see relaxing the laws as a license to misbehave.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Of course this could cause bigger problems then there already is, the segment of homeless population that are drinkers. They drink if it's allowed or not, so never mind. All that will happen is instead of bumming a cigarette they will just be asking to bum a drink.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

rob_c wrote:"Coun. Jake Kimberley was also in favour, adding with a smile, "A nice bottle of wine on a picnic table in the summertime is kinda nice.""
If only this were reality .....fact is if you open our public parks to allow alcohol consumption there will be people....perhaps not large amount of people....but enough the do not drink responsibly to take away the enjoyment of some others.Please do not stick your head up your rear end and believe that everybody who drinks does so responsibly and behaves in a respectful manner towards others.
If allowing alcohol in Skaha or Gyro park comes to be you will in my opinion take away the enjoyment of these parks for some people.They are supposed to be public for everyones enjoyment, please do not allow the rude drinkers of society to take them away from us.

If you travel literally anywhere outside of North America, open drinking is legal and for some reason, there are no issues.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

OKkayak wrote:
rob_c wrote:"Coun. Jake Kimberley was also in favour, adding with a smile, "A nice bottle of wine on a picnic table in the summertime is kinda nice.""
If only this were reality .....fact is if you open our public parks to allow alcohol consumption there will be people....perhaps not large amount of people....but enough the do not drink responsibly to take away the enjoyment of some others.Please do not stick your head up your rear end and believe that everybody who drinks does so responsibly and behaves in a respectful manner towards others.
If allowing alcohol in Skaha or Gyro park comes to be you will in my opinion take away the enjoyment of these parks for some people.They are supposed to be public for everyones enjoyment, please do not allow the rude drinkers of society to take them away from us.

If you travel literally anywhere outside of North America, open drinking is legal and for some reason, there are no issues.

That is exactly true, and the only time I find it looking weird and awkward looking is the inevitable American or Canadian in their board shorts and wife-beater shirt thinking they are the coolest person ever because they are walking down a busy street drinking the biggest bottle of beer they could buy.....just because they discovered they could.

It’s societal and once the small idiot group figures out it’s not all that interesting for them to binge drink in public, and everyone else looks at it negatively, all will be cool. As mentioned, it is literally how the rest of the world operates and you seldom see out of control drinking there. When it’s not taboo, it’s not cool. It’s just part of normal life.
You and 71 others Like this post
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Best idea ever. Ill be spending a lot of time in the Pen this summer if Penticton goes through with this. :cuss: Kelowna and all the stupid rules. Penticton has it right. Drinks on the beach for all. Party time.
Btfsplck
Fledgling

Post by Btfsplck »

There is nothing wrong with having a cold beer or a glass of wine while sitting at a beach. Responsible people are the majority, but our draconian laws were set in place based on the irresponsible minority. It would be nice if adults here were treated like adults in other countries.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Btfsplck wrote:There is nothing wrong with having a cold beer or a glass of wine while sitting at a beach. Responsible people are the majority, but our draconian laws were set in place based on the irresponsible minority.

True. But there is a line of thought that says the responsible majority should be protected from the irresponsible minority, that's why we have things like drinking and driving laws.

The pros outweigh the cons in the beach/park drinking issue in my mind, when you consider the pandemic is going to leave lots of people more than a little shy about sit-down restaurants and bars. Some take-out and a couple of frosty ones would support local business to a degree, and be in line with social distancing recommendations until some stability is reached in regards to the pandemic. But that's not to say that the situation shouldn't be monitored closely to send a clear message to the party-till-you-puke set.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Hurry up and pass it to make it official.

Last night saw a couple sharing a bottle of wine on the beach. :130:
As many have said. Beach drinking already occurs, and still will.

I do hope this summer i dont have to "hide" my growler when i fill my cup.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Gilchy wrote:What I’m saying is anyone who wants to drink at the beach already does. The liability of the bars and clubs you refer to lay with the serving licence. Grabbing a 24 pack and heading to the beach to get wasted already happens, but change the laws to specifically target the public intoxication, rather than assume absolutely everyone with a drink is a moral hazard.

fluffy wrote: It may turn out to be nothing to worry about, it's a safe bet that increased freedom will bring with it increased surveillance to insure the new freedoms aren't taken advantage of. But "heading to the beach to get wasted" is a far cry from sharing a bottle of wine over lunch at a picnic table. I'm concerned that there will be those he see relaxing the laws as a license to misbehave.

Concerns confirmed.

Coonhound wrote:Best idea ever. Ill be spending a lot of time in the Pen this summer if Penticton goes through with this. F Kelowna and all the stupid rules. Penticton has it right. Drinks on the beach for all. Party time.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent

Return to “South Okanagan”