Would appear Penticton is open for tourist business!

twobits
Guru

Re: Would appear Penticton is open for tourist business!

Post by twobits »

OKkayak wrote:Oh I totally get that, my point is that we don't know why they're here or when they got here.

Ummm, yes we do know when they got here......they crossed the international border and were recorded as doing so.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

twobits wrote:Ummm, yes we do know when they got here......they crossed the international border and were recorded as doing so.

Hmmm, didn't realize that the CBSA gave that information out to Joe Blow Public.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

OKkayak wrote:
Hmmm, didn't realize that the CBSA gave that information out to Joe Blow Public.

Ummm, yes, the CBSA did essentially give the info out to the public. It is posted online for every American that chooses to make the effort for their travels and also the border when they cross. The instructions are very specific in that the shortest route possible should be taken and stops along the way avoided.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

twobits wrote:Ummm, yes, the CBSA did essentially give the info out to the public. It is posted online for every American that chooses to make the effort for their travels and also the border when they cross. The instructions are very specific in that the shortest route possible should be taken and stops along the way avoided.

Huh? Ummm, we're not talking about instructions on what they need to do when they cross the border, we're talking about how Joe Blow Public thinks they know why these folks are here and when they crossed. And as far as I remember, Joe Blow Public is not privy to information from the CBSA as to when someone crossed a border. M'kay? :up:
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Joe public is not a representation of the general Canadian public. Only people that get their news from facebook don't know what restrictions are in place for americans crossing the border for continuous travel. Many have been busted and fined $1200 per person for deviating from direct route of travel. Being on the CBSa flag list for the future does them no favors as well.

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

common_sense_guy wrote:I was under the impression it is closed to non-essential Travelers.

OKkayak wrote:In other words, the border is "restricted". If they made it across the border, then their travel was deemed "essential" by those who make those decisions.

Travel between the continental US and Alaska is permitted for American citizens provided they take a direct route and make no unnecessary stops. There was a story in the news in Alberta a few days ago where the RCMP tracked down some Americans who had stopped in Banff for some hiking. They were given $1200 fines each and sent on their way.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/rcmp-issued-7-tickets-to-americans-found-in-banff-alta-over-the-past-week-1.4993704
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

twobits wrote:Joe public is not a representation of the general Canadian public. Only people that get their news from facebook don't know what restrictions are in place for americans crossing the border for continuous travel. Many have been busted and fined $1200 per person for deviating from direct route of travel. Being on the CBSa flag list for the future does them no favors as well.

You
don't
know
how
long
they've
been
in
Canada
for
is
the
point!!!!!

They could have been here already before any restrictions came in to effect.

Geezus :135:
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

Open up the economy for all, IMO. Who cares where they came from. And, 5 California plates is totally laughable. Who cares. Get over it.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Geezus.....really think they have been here that long? The border has been closed to non essential since March 21st and at the risk of being repetitive........every american that crosses the border into Cnd will be date stamped for Geezus sake. Before 1200 dollar per person fines are doled out to tourists on hikes in Banff, John Law would be checking with Border Services or asking to see the passport stamp. Ya think?

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

twobits wrote:Geezus.....really think they have been here that long? The border has been closed to non essential since March 21st and at the risk of being repetitive........every american that crosses the border into Cnd will be date stamped for Geezus sake. Before 1200 dollar per person fines are doled out to tourists on hikes in Banff, John Law would be checking with Border Services or asking to see the passport stamp. Ya think?

Is it really that difficult of a concept to grasp that some Yanks are here legitimately? Does it really bother some of you that much?

As I said in my earlier post, there are lots of Americans who live and work here and have been here since before any restrictions were in place. We’ve got a young lady from Tennessee in our building, been here since February and is staying here until the end of Summer. Fortunately, the people here in Metro Vancouver are more level headed and understanding, Lord only knows how many times some of you would have tried to key her car or something.

Are there people that aren't following the rules? Yup, just like every other rule there is and thats between the authorities and the people themselves to sort out. But this constant ignorance of assuming that someone is breaking the rules just because you see an out-of-province plate is just absurd. Life is too short and the world is too ugly as is without having to try and crucify everyone because some people just can't stop and think and always have to assume everything that everyone is doing is "wrong".
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

Perhaps these Californian plates are Canadians living in the U.S. who want to avoid Corona outbreak and decided to come back here until the virus is under control in California and elsewhere.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

ckil wrote:Perhaps these Californian plates are Canadians living in the U.S. who want to avoid Corona outbreak and decided to come back here until the virus is under control in California and elsewhere.

Then a simple check by either bylaw or rcmp would determine whether or not they should stay here. Pretty simple really.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:Then a simple check by either bylaw or rcmp would determine whether or not they should stay here. Pretty simple really.

It really is just that simple. It is all bout legitimate travel that would include all americans that have legitimate reasons to travel or be in Canada. There are lots of them and people need to understand that.
I have no dislike for americans. Just the ones that lie when crossing the border to go to alaska and they end up in Banff on hike.
If you want a peeing match OK.....find another tree......I'm not interested.

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

twobits wrote:If you want a peeing match OK.....find another tree......I'm not interested.

SouthernOkanagan

Post by SouthernOkanagan »

If YOU don't like the Alberta plates at the beach.... Then don't go to the beach!
There are far too many armchair authoritarians saying "this should be done" or "that shouldn't happen" or "you should do this so I can feel safe".
Take care of yourself and don't go to these places you're complaining about, don't try taking care of everyone else, you'll fail.
Sure I don't like alot of things I'm seeing either, but I control my own safety.

SouthernOkanagan

Return to “South Okanagan”