Mayor speaks out on racism

Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Re: Mayor speaks out on racism

Post by Brass Monkey »

the truth wrote:
exactly, i and my family are also these people who's family came to canada in the 60's and experienced it also, so much for this total made up bs so called white privileged bs *bleep*

blm and people like boot are turning everyone into racists, just to get what they want,

When your family came to Canada your family could vote, the children of your family were not taken to religious schools by law, your family could get legal representation, your family could get business loans and mortgages.

Boy, it must have been nice to move somewhere in the world and be given rights and privileges before the people of the land that were there long before.

removed
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

For those genuinely interested in voting rights in Canada, another perspective:
https://teachers.plea.org/uploads/conte ... o-Vote.pdf

:topic: With our PM accusing all Canadians of being racists, it's not difficult to imagine why Boot thought what she did was a good idea.

It's also not difficult to see why it backfired on her.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Whenever reading about this Mayor Boot I can't help thinking of Mayor Helps of Victoria and Mayor Durkan of Seattle, both left wing radicals who have allowed their cities to turn into sewer outlets.
Let's hope Boot doesn't progress above small-town politics.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

twobits wrote:
Centurion wrote:What you call ammunition, they call credibility.

Sorry but no. Ain't gonna sit well with the true agriculture pioneers of this Valley.....the Portuguese, Italian and several other white Euro's. And their children did experience and do remember race discrimination that the Boot never did as a perfect English speaking child of an affluent family. I was one of those children albeit not in the Okanagan. But I do vividly remember far too many WASP comments for my Ma and Pa to just go back to where they came from and take their *bleep* child (me) with them.
The Boot thinks she has racism tales to regale to us?? Perhaps, but nothing like the immigrants that came here in the 50's and 60's with broken English. And identical to what the new wave of SE Asians experience right to this day. I know that pain. Boot does not have a clue in her privileged *bleep*. She just has a skin colour she wants to exploit.

Your last sentence is one of the best examples of defining society today.
Whats absolutely so ludacris about it is every single one of us have all endured, witnessed, received some form of racism at the hands of the other. We can never move to a better place because exploiting yourself as a victim is being rewarded with money, advantage, power etc and not equality
"If I find out who's been running this country for the last 8.5 yrs into the ground, there will be hell to pay",,,,,,,,,Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly...........
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

liisgo wrote:We can never move to a better place because exploiting yourself as a victim is being rewarded with money, advantage, power etc and not equality

Bingo. Elections are not being won these days by having a decent plan to deal with important issues, they are being won by stirring up drama and pointing at someone to blame.

The disturbing part is how many voters are willing to submit to that sort of cheap manipulation.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Thebrewhouse
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Thebrewhouse »

fluffy wrote:
liisgo wrote:We can never move to a better place because exploiting yourself as a victim is being rewarded with money, advantage, power etc and not equality

Bingo. Elections are not being won these days by having a decent plan to deal with important issues, they are being won by stirring up drama and pointing at someone to blame.

The disturbing part is how many voters are willing to submit to that sort of cheap manipulation.

Look no further than Joe Biden’s VP pick Kamala Harris.... but there was 3 other candidates in the running... “all black, and all women”

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn.com ... index.html

What an absolute joke our politics have become... it isn’t about the best candidate anymore... it is about the best narrative to winning votes and an election. (I hope Americans will realize this and then vote accordingly)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly............. simple math , they are all scum baggs
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

the truth wrote:exactly............. simple math , they are all scum baggs

What simple math does this relate to?
You and 71 others Like this post
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

While there may be a few who fit the"scum bag" descriptor, it's more a matter of the general direction politics has taken over the last few decades, getting worse and worse until we end up where we are at now. Mayor Boot is just following suit in a system that now rewards stirring the pot and inciting anger and drama more than positive, affirmative action.
Last edited by fluffy on Aug 16th, 2020, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

fluffy wrote:While there may be a few who fit the"scum bag" descriptor, it's more a matter of the general direction politics has taken over the last few decades, getting worse and worse until wee end up where we are at now. Mayor Boot is just following suit in a system that now rewards stirring the pot and inciting anger and drama more than positive, affirmative action.

Actually, "affirmative action" and that mindset is part of the problem. Hiring based on race or sex instead of qualifications and suitability for the job to meet the quota required has caused all sorts of problems. Take a look at the RCMP as just one small example. The concept was well meaning it seems, but the practice has been a huge failure.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

gardengirl wrote:Actually, "affirmative action" and that mindset is part of the problem. Hiring based on race or sex instead of qualifications and suitability for the job to meet the quota required has caused all sorts of problems. Take a look at the RCMP as just one small example. The concept was well meaning it seems, but the practice has been a huge failure.

"Affirmative Action" can join the ranks of other concepts hijacked under the pretense of social progress. Original versions of affirmative action were meant to protect people of colour from being treated differently, moving towards equality. Of late it has become synonymous with privileged treatment which has moved it away from equality. I'm still stuck in the past I guess, when affirmative action was a good thing and not simply window dressing.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

gardengirl wrote:Actually, "affirmative action" and that mindset is part of the problem. Hiring based on race or sex instead of qualifications and suitability for the job to meet the quota required has caused all sorts of problems. Take a look at the RCMP as just one small example. The concept was well meaning it seems, but the practice has been a huge failure.

fluffy wrote:"Affirmative Action" can join the ranks of other concepts hijacked under the pretense of social progress. Original versions of affirmative action were meant to protect people of colour from being treated differently, moving towards equality. Of late it has become synonymous with privileged treatment which has moved it away from equality. I'm still stuck in the past I guess, when affirmative action was a good thing and not simply window dressing.

Exactly. The concept was well meaning, but in practice, it has been a disaster. If you really think it through, how could it not be? It results in people of a certain race, colour, sex, being given special treatment (legislated with hiring quotas), who may not be the best candidate, with the best experience and education, while others, who do not fit that description are being (descriminated against) excluded from opportunities which they are qualified for because of their race, colour, sex.

That is exactly what they were supposed to be remedying.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

:topic:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Brass Monkey wrote:
the truth wrote:
exactly, i and my family are also these people who's family came to canada in the 60's and experienced it also, so much for this total made up bs so called white privileged bs *bleep*

blm and people like boot are turning everyone into racists, just to get what they want,

When your family came to Canada your family could vote, the children of your family were not taken to religious schools by law, your family could get legal representation, your family could get business loans and mortgages.

Boy, it must have been nice to move somewhere in the world and be given rights and privileges before the people of the land that were there long before.

removed

Are you sure about this ? I thought landed immigrants can't vote , till they get citizenship ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “South Okanagan”