Bike lane for Penticton

Nooby
Übergod

Re: Bike lane for Penticton

Post by Nooby »

Back to the topic of section 2 of the lake-to-lake route . . .

Have I changed my mind about thinking this was an unnecessary (and somewhat 'underhanded' expenditure)? - No.

However - it's a done-deal, it's a reality, it's happening. So I would encourage anyone and everyone affected to attend both the upcoming online session and the open house. Ask your questions, voice your concerns at either or both of these. That is exactly what we have done and with the details provided it was not only helpful in getting our questions answered but also becoming more 'accepting' of the project. Again, nothing we can do to stop it now (if you think not re-electing current council in the next election will make a difference - maybe so, maybe not. On that one I will wait to see what the alternatives are).

The only complaint I have today is 'where the h*** were the cinnamon buns promised at the open house today? I guess we got there too late :biggrin:
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

XT225 wrote: Mar 2nd, 2022, 6:18 pm One thing that I do not recall whatsoever is any public discussion or proposals (previous to now) about adding an East/West bike lane to Green Ave, to join up with Highway 97 (I assume that means crossing at the Bridge to Nowhere and onto the PIB pathway). Was this discussed before now? It would make a whole lot more sense, if they would scrap the Atkinson/South Main route and just continue on down Fairview a little ways and cross the channel there and onto the PIB pathway that already exists. That would make a nice joint venture with the Native Band and be a heck of a lot cheaper I would think.

I am glad though that for now, public backlash appears to have knocked some sense into most of Council at least and the Lakeshore goofy one lane idea won't be happening any time soon without much further consultation (and an Election)...lol
You could be on to something there XT. I don't recall the city talking about an east/west lane to Green then join up with HIghway 97 across the bridge and onto PIB trail. Before you start thinking some commonsense is finally showing within Vas and his ilk ... you should read the following story .. kind of timely if you ask me. https://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/art ... 12797.html
So city renages on Lakeshore ... and goes ahead with Green Avenue E/W lane and spends more money on the PIB trail. I mean I'm just making an assumption but hey with this group ... nothing surprises me. Wait for the announcement and good on the PIB if it goes through.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote: Mar 7th, 2022, 12:52 pm
XT225 wrote: Mar 2nd, 2022, 6:18 pm One thing that I do not recall whatsoever is any public discussion or proposals (previous to now) about adding an East/West bike lane to Green Ave, to join up with Highway 97 (I assume that means crossing at the Bridge to Nowhere and onto the PIB pathway). Was this discussed before now? It would make a whole lot more sense, if they would scrap the Atkinson/South Main route and just continue on down Fairview a little ways and cross the channel there and onto the PIB pathway that already exists. That would make a nice joint venture with the Native Band and be a heck of a lot cheaper I would think.

I am glad though that for now, public backlash appears to have knocked some sense into most of Council at least and the Lakeshore goofy one lane idea won't be happening any time soon without much further consultation (and an Election)...lol
You could be on to something there XT. I don't recall the city talking about an east/west lane to Green then join up with HIghway 97 across the bridge and onto PIB trail. Before you start thinking some commonsense is finally showing within Vas and his ilk ... you should read the following story .. kind of timely if you ask me. https://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/art ... 12797.html
So city renages on Lakeshore ... and goes ahead with Green Avenue E/W lane and spends more money on the PIB trail. I mean I'm just making an assumption but hey with this group ... nothing surprises me. Wait for the announcement and good on the PIB if it goes through.
So far, nobody has come up any other comments re the Green Ave path; which surprises me. I never ever recall hearing anything about it in past, unless I missed it somehow (or the City hid it deep in the fine print). I'm also surprised that the Native band didn't push for THEIR main Lake to Lake exisitng path to get funding from the city and RDOS (other than maintenance); as I said previously it would have made far more sense just to continue on down Fairview to the bridge and cross over to the Channel. Half city/half native lands; a win-win. It is odd that the Native band would now suggest that the City and RDOS pay $110,000 annual fee though for maintenance on lands that neither Government owns. Does the band pay for a portion of the new in-town bike lanes I wonder or even maintenance of them?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

If the city agrees to a working partnership this could all become very very interesting.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote: Mar 7th, 2022, 2:11 pm If the city agrees to a working partnership this could all become very very interesting.
Makes you wonder why the City didn't make an agreement with the band before all of these other in-town under-utilized/super expensive bike lanes were ever started. There are far more cyclists using the Path on the West side of the channel and on Government Street than those who ever use the Martin/Fairview ones. Big mistake and a costly one for Penticton Taxpayers.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Good to see recreational paths be supported also, that channel pathway is what we use instead of the bus or multiple cars after doing the channel ...

Green Ave seems a little puzzler to me since it's that far south ... not sure how it would benefit commuters ... getting to Walmart is good, won't say no to that as for halfway decent groceries ...

It will be interesting to see how this develops ...
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

spooker wrote: Mar 7th, 2022, 3:27 pm Good to see recreational paths be supported also, that channel pathway is what we use instead of the bus or multiple cars after doing the channel ...

Green Ave seems a little puzzler to me since it's that far south ... not sure how it would benefit commuters ... getting to Walmart is good, won't say no to that as for halfway decent groceries ...

Put your thinking cap on for a minute and you might realize that the Green Ave west to east link from the channel parkway corridor would link up with the already in place South Main St bike lane.
The real problem for me is not these peripheral connections as much as it is the absurd bike lanes in the downtown core and high volume traffic corridors. The Channel path is perfect. Cross paths to South Main OK! That lane already exists and can easily coexist with the traffic that uses it.
Single lane traffic downtown and reduced parking (and without EV charge points) is a middle finger to the taxpayer. Why did we pay, in only the last few years, I forget how many millions of dollars spent complete from water to sewer and everything in-between upgrades meant for three decades as per norm engineering timelines.......and not put in at least a dozen high KW EV charging stations???
Seriously think about this. Global push to reduce CO and just a couple of years ago, we do a complete retrofit of all infrastructure covering a number of City blocks, to reduce vehicular traffic and not one unelected beaurocrat Engineer at City Hall did not put their hand up and ask "why don't we put in at least a dozen EV dedicated parking spots for the 10 million spent between Main and Martin?
The answer is we have a pinhead called Mitch Morieffedup sucking 200k in salary while he plans his spandex exericise route on the fat pension we will be paying him until he dies.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Agree with you Twobits. Just an FYI ... Spandex Mitch retired January 2021 and his replacement is a fan of his ... Kristen Dixon:

https://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/art ... 3d91e.html

Gee I wonder if she is into cycling as much as Mitch is?
spooker

Post by spooker »

twobits wrote: Mar 7th, 2022, 5:05 pm
spooker wrote: Mar 7th, 2022, 3:27 pm Good to see recreational paths be supported also, that channel pathway is what we use instead of the bus or multiple cars after doing the channel ...

Put your thinking cap on for a minute and you might realize that the Green Ave west to east link from the channel parkway corridor would link up with the already in place South Main St bike lane.
The real problem for me is not these peripheral connections as much as it is the absurd bike lanes in the downtown core and high volume traffic corridors. The Channel path is perfect. Cross paths to South Main OK! That lane already exists and can easily coexist with the traffic that uses it.
Single lane traffic downtown and reduced parking (and without EV charge points) is a middle finger to the taxpayer. Why did we pay, in only the last few years, I forget how many millions of dollars spent complete from water to sewer and everything in-between upgrades meant for three decades as per norm engineering timelines.......and not put in at least a dozen high KW EV charging stations???
Seriously think about this. Global push to reduce CO and just a couple of years ago, we do a complete retrofit of all infrastructure covering a number of City blocks, to reduce vehicular traffic and not one unelected beaurocrat Engineer at City Hall did not put their hand up and ask "why don't we put in at least a dozen EV dedicated parking spots for the 10 million spent between Main and Martin?
The answer is we have a pinhead called Mitch Morieffedup sucking 200k in salary while he plans his spandex exericise route on the fat pension we will be paying him until he dies.
Haven't we already had the discussion that people exercising in spandex aren't going to use the downtown bike lane?

Yes, the idea is to reduce the gases produced by ICE vehicles ... and a way to do that is to encourage people to use a bike for short trips instead of grabbing their car keys ... but it's not very encouraging when safe cycling infrastructure doesn't go where people need to go ...

And no, I won't go into the fact that taxpayers ride bicycles too ... been there, done that, got the t-shirt ...
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

XT225 wrote: Mar 7th, 2022, 3:06 pm There are far more cyclists using the Path on the West side of the channel and on Government Street than those who ever use the Martin/Fairview ones. Big mistake and a costly one for Penticton Taxpayers.
I took the dogs across the dam and down the west side of the channel on Sunday. The grass there is perfect for all the dogs to chase balls about.
I believe there were more people on bikes, half of them electric, than walkers. Didn't notice any on the new bike lane, but that is for commuters and shoppers....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

seewood wrote: Mar 7th, 2022, 6:03 pm
XT225 wrote: Mar 7th, 2022, 3:06 pm There are far more cyclists using the Path on the West side of the channel and on Government Street than those who ever use the Martin/Fairview ones. Big mistake and a costly one for Penticton Taxpayers.
I took the dogs across the dam and down the west side of the channel on Sunday. The grass there is perfect for all the dogs to chase balls about.
I believe there were more people on bikes, half of them electric, than walkers. Didn't notice any on the new bike lane, but that is for commuters and shoppers....
Shoppers? You kidding us? Who, in their right mind would leave their bike outside a store, locked or not? Not in this city and if you do, don't expect it to be there upon your return. [icon_lol2.gif]
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

XT225 wrote: Mar 7th, 2022, 7:29 pm Shoppers? You kidding us? Who, in their right mind would leave their bike outside a store, locked or not? Not in this city and if you do, don't expect it to be there upon your return.

[icon_lol2.gif] but, but, isn't that the blather coming from the white building? Shopping and commuting.. ah-huh :200:
I am not wealthy but I am rich
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Actually no! That blather is coming from Spooker :130: .
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:135: :topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Once again, I ask..."where/when did this Green Avenue bike path enter into the picture?" Did the City just slip it in, hopefully "under the radar" or was it in the plan all along? I do not recall seeing any photos of that proposed route, nor any mention of it. Something does not add up here. Anyone care to chime in?

Return to “South Okanagan”