Bike lane for Penticton

southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Bike lane for Penticton

Post by southy »

One more time not in my backyard! Advocate for Kelowna. Cost will be $15m if not more. I think the spandex is becoming slightly to tight 😀.
spooker

Post by spooker »

southy wrote: Sep 10th, 2021, 11:47 am One more time not in my backyard! Advocate for Kelowna. Cost will be $15m if not more. I think the spandex is becoming slightly to tight 😀.
I advocate for cycling everywhere I ride or want to ride and take the family ... the fun part about numbers if that they can't lie ... but you need to actually have a source for the numbers to be believed ... two wheels can be a way to get somewhere fast too ...
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

This came out today from the City. Finally they are using a portion (though small) of the route that makes sense; is already in place and doesn't b_gger up Duncan Avenue.

Cyclists heading south along Fairview Rd. will need to exit the route before the Duncan Ave. intersection. Follow the signage and exit left at the Cossar Avenue lane to access the multi-use trail or to proceed to Duncan Ave., following the normal rules of the road.

Its unsure, however, just how the bike lanes will get across that busy section of Duncan and Atkinson. Traffic is bad there and a nice roundabout would work well in my opinion, for everyone involved; plus it would slow the speeders down.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

southy wrote: Sep 9th, 2021, 1:20 pm Biggest problem is design … I’m talking Calgary not that mess in Penticton. Lanes are encroaching to close to vehicles.
I hope there is a proper study (and public input as the planners don't seem to know what they are doing) as to how the bike lanes will proceed across Duncan Ave, to access Atkinson Street. That entire area between Safeway and the Hamlets is a speedway, sharp corner; then goes from two lanes to one heading West.

I agree with others who have called for a proper roundabout there; the area is wide enough but just how bikes would then get across is anyone's guess. THINK, long and hard before proceeding further would be my suggestion.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

pentona wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 1:10 pm
southy wrote: Sep 9th, 2021, 1:20 pm Biggest problem is design … I’m talking Calgary not that mess in Penticton. Lanes are encroaching to close to vehicles.
I hope there is a proper study (and public input as the planners don't seem to know what they are doing) as to how the bike lanes will proceed across Duncan Ave, to access Atkinson Street. That entire area between Safeway and the Hamlets is a speedway, sharp corner; then goes from two lanes to one heading West.

I agree with others who have called for a proper roundabout there; the area is wide enough but just how bikes would then get across is anyone's guess. THINK, long and hard before proceeding further would be my suggestion.
As is Atkinson at times, especially between Duncan and Industrial.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote: Sep 10th, 2021, 4:17 pm This came out today from the City. Finally they are using a portion (though small) of the route that makes sense; is already in place and doesn't b_gger up Duncan Avenue.

Cyclists heading south along Fairview Rd. will need to exit the route before the Duncan Ave. intersection. Follow the signage and exit left at the Cossar Avenue lane to access the multi-use trail or to proceed to Duncan Ave., following the normal rules of the road.

Its unsure, however, just how the bike lanes will get across that busy section of Duncan and Atkinson. Traffic is bad there and a nice roundabout would work well in my opinion, for everyone involved; plus it would slow the speeders down.
The diversion onto Cossar is to link up with the paved trail that runs between Cossar ave and runs thru to Calgary Ave at the corner that turns back north and connects back to Preston Ave. This "trail" piece of asphalt runs north/south right behind the old RCMP detachment. This asphalt path comes out right across the street from the current Service BC office where people pay property taxes or want a drivers license. The only "hookup" to Duncan Ave is thru the Penticton Plaza "through lane" that runs straight thru the property from Calgary ave to Duncan.
Turn right when ya hit Duncan ave.....pedal two blocks west....and you can turn left back onto Atkinson st and be back on the original bike route that II thought was the final design.
I am completely confused and hope for some clarification on this cluster cuz it is not making much sense to me. Some help from a google maps capable person would be appreciated by many.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Absent any comment on my above post, I can only assume plenty of others out there are just as confused as myself.
I thought the route was already planned, approved, and costed out?? Apparently not.
Are we about to have an 8 million dollar bike route official route plan that commuting cyclists will only use the portions that make sense for their personal commute???
The lesson here is that the genuine bike commuters as well as the recreation spandex bandits will pedal a route that makes the most sense to them and the 8 million in bike lanes will never enter their minds when they choose their A to B route.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Confused here also. That video I posted a few pages back indicated a short 2-way track on the North side of Duncan (it's at about the 3:00 minute mark in the video)

Edit - OK maybe not so confused now looking at Google maps (you'd think I would know, I live right around this area but have never had a need to use that 'multi-use' path). Anyway - I believe Cossar does connect directly with that path, which is beside the Hamlets and therefore would come right out onto Duncan. Thus the need for a 'short 2-way track' on Duncan to then get to the Atkinson intersection.

Anyone feel free to correct me because I could be wrong :D
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

^^^^^
None of which changes the fact that the Duncan/Atkinson intersection is going to be a nightmare to navigate, new signals or not. Looks like I'll be walking to the Plaza more, IF this goes ahead. Oh wait - I can take my bike to get groceries [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Has anyone noticed what a cluster it is to cross Main St travelling west on Eckhart Ave after the High School. The entire block is a cluster because those wanting to cross Main to make a left to go south on Main at Martin are backed up on Eckhart and cant get thru the intersection except for one car per light cycle. And this is because it was previously legal to make a left turn from Eckhart Ave onto one way Martin street......there is a sign up next to the traffic signal lights that now prohibits left hand turns from Eckhart onto Martin to link into Main St going south........BECAUSE OF THE NEW BIKE LANE. So now, generally only one vehicle can make a left turn onto Martin from Eckhart even if there is no south bound traffic on Martin.
Who at City Hall making 140k yr came up with this brilliant spandex plan? What the City has done for most citizens is create a downtown core that most will now do their best to plan a travel route to avoid downtown. I have already done so. I avoid unless absolutely required Main, Martin, Westminster and Eckhart in the downtown core.
Pretty sure that is not what the entire downtown business community had in mind when bike lanes were being presented to them as "increasing business traffic"
Heck.......I used to deal with an Insurance company that is on Martin in the original liquor store. Not anymore cuz I dont ride a bike and I see no need to waste my time on a one lane street that is jam packed. There are far easier to access businesses outside of downtown Penticton that will gladly want my business.

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

twobits wrote: Sep 15th, 2021, 8:46 pm Has anyone noticed what a cluster it is to cross Main St travelling west on Eckhart Ave after the High School. The entire block is a cluster because those wanting to cross Main to make a left to go south on Main at Martin are backed up on Eckhart and cant get thru the intersection except for one car per light cycle. And this is because it was previously legal to make a left turn from Eckhart Ave onto one way Martin street......there is a sign up next to the traffic signal lights that now prohibits left hand turns from Eckhart onto Martin to link into Main St going south........BECAUSE OF THE NEW BIKE LANE. So now, generally only one vehicle can make a left turn onto Martin from Eckhart even if there is no south bound traffic on Martin.
Who at City Hall making 140k yr came up with this brilliant spandex plan? What the City has done for most citizens is create a downtown core that most will now do their best to plan a travel route to avoid downtown. I have already done so. I avoid unless absolutely required Main, Martin, Westminster and Eckhart in the downtown core.
Pretty sure that is not what the entire downtown business community had in mind when bike lanes were being presented to them as "increasing business traffic"
Heck.......I used to deal with an Insurance company that is on Martin in the original liquor store. Not anymore cuz I dont ride a bike and I see no need to waste my time on a one lane street that is jam packed. There are far easier to access businesses outside of downtown Penticton that will gladly want my business.
I noticed the problem of not being able to turn left on a red, compounded with thru traffic not having a lane to go around the vehicle waiting to turn left since they re-did Eckhardt. It was tourist season, and I thought "oh, well, won't be as bad when summer's over".

Hadn't thought about what would happen during the school rush hour, though!

Seems to me the planners have made a series of choices that are only making it more difficult for people to get around efficiently.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
spooker

Post by spooker »

rustled wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 8:24 am I noticed the problem of not being able to turn left on a red, compounded with thru traffic not having a lane to go around the vehicle waiting to turn left since they re-did Eckhardt. It was tourist season, and I thought "oh, well, won't be as bad when summer's over".

Seems to me the planners have made a series of choices that are only making it more difficult for people to get around efficiently.
Efficiently or conveniently? I find that some people are not always clear about the differences ...
spooker

Post by spooker »

twobits wrote: Sep 15th, 2021, 8:46 pm Has anyone noticed what a cluster it is to cross Main St travelling west on Eckhart Ave after the High School. The entire block is a cluster because those wanting to cross Main to make a left to go south on Main at Martin are backed up on Eckhart and cant get thru the intersection except for one car per light cycle. And this is because it was previously legal to make a left turn from Eckhart Ave onto one way Martin street......there is a sign up next to the traffic signal lights that now prohibits left hand turns from Eckhart onto Martin to link into Main St going south........BECAUSE OF THE NEW BIKE LANE. So now, generally only one vehicle can make a left turn onto Martin from Eckhart even if there is no south bound traffic on Martin.
Actually making it easier to use downtown streets as thru streets to go somewhere else isn't the best plan ...
Centurion
Board Meister

Post by Centurion »

The bike lane has made traffic congestion much worse. Not just Martin St, but also the surrounding streets as drivers try to avoid the Martin St traffic jam. I wonder if the added frustration is part of the overall plan to reduce vehicle use.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

spooker wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 9:18 am
rustled wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 8:24 am I noticed the problem of not being able to turn left on a red, compounded with thru traffic not having a lane to go around the vehicle waiting to turn left since they re-did Eckhardt. It was tourist season, and I thought "oh, well, won't be as bad when summer's over".

Efficiently or conveniently? I find that some people are not always clear about the differences ...
I said "efficiently" because I meant "efficiently". I'm quite clear on the difference, thanks.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “South Okanagan”