Bike lane for Penticton

spooker

Re: Bike lane for Penticton

Post by spooker »

cr125 wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 7:16 am
spooker wrote: Nov 8th, 2021, 8:57 am

Maybe the reason is because we're already paying for it?

This reminds me of the saying "if we don't remember history we are doomed to repeat it" ... this "make people on bikes pay" comes up over and over again ... and those of us who ride bikes keep explaining how it all works ... it dies down for a bit ... then someone says it again and we have to go through the explanation once again ... I didn't respond until now because I"m just tired of having to say it again ... please, continue with your beliefs ...
This comment reminds me, that you just proved my point.
Ah, I like it ... playing the "mysterious" card ... be vague so the reader is curious ... good way to keep the conversation going
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

spooker wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 7:58 am

Yes, you've made it clear what you feel with regards to my residence in Kelowna ... but I still advocate for better cycling opportunities everywhere ... having friends in Penticton, visiting Penticton, seeing that Penticton has the option of getting federal and provincial funds ... I hope to see a Penticton that I want to come to more ... maybe even retire once I get more comfortable with Three Blind Mice ...

You're welcome to see it as an "incredible waste of taxpayer's monies[sic]" ... many people don't think change is good or should be something to work towards ... but I believe people deserve more options to make choices safely ...
Sure, we got a $1million grant or whatever it was for the first phase. From what I can see the $4.7 million to complete the next phase is coming from borrowing from the electrical utility reserve. And who knows where they plan to pull the money from for the final phase.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Nooby wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 11:17 am

Yes, you've made it clear what you feel with regards to my residence in Kelowna ... but I still advocate for better cycling opportunities everywhere ... having friends in Penticton, visiting Penticton, seeing that Penticton has the option of getting federal and provincial funds ... I hope to see a Penticton that I want to come to more ... maybe even retire once I get more comfortable with Three Blind Mice ...

You're welcome to see it as an "incredible waste of taxpayer's monies[sic]" ... many people don't think change is good or should be something to work towards ... but I believe people deserve more options to make choices safely ...
Sure, we got a $1million grant or whatever it was for the first phase. From what I can see the $4.7 million to complete the next phase is coming from borrowing from the electrical utility reserve. And who knows where they plan to pull the money from for the final phase.
Very likely that the city will take the funds from the Electrical reserves to complete the next phase of the bike lanes, which in my opinion is totally wrong. They may make it appear as if there was no tax increase in order to obtain those finances, but they were raised previously from taxpayers in past years. It was there for rainy days; not stupid bike lanes that nobody wants or uses.

I personally think that its time to say "Hasta La Vista" to the C.F.O. (and good riddance) and contract out the finance dept to the local kindergarten class; any one of them could come up with a better budget than has just occurred. We taxpayers are tired of getting the shaft! :-X
spooker

Post by spooker »

Nooby wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 11:17 am

I'd be surprised if the City is not chasing money higher up the food chain while also making sure the $4.7M is available as a backup ... and based on the math the final phase would be only $1MM ... $8MM - $2.3MM - $4.7MM = $1MM (unless someone can come up with an actual source for this project costing more you'll have to live with $8MM) ... city projects would never get completed if they depended on outside funding sources ...

Where's the calling into question the amount of money spent on regular road construction? I always love the fact that people who complain about the money spent on bike lanes prove that all they care about is keeping us focused on driving around more and paving more space ... here's my hypothesis as to why this is the case: people do not have the imagination to think there could be any other way of life other than the way things currently are ... don't take this personally, I see reactions like this all the time ... it's the message we've been fed for the last 50 years ... all the commercials we see on TV for cars show us the utopia the car lobby want us to believe in ...
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

pentona wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 11:48 am
Very likely that the city will take the funds from the Electrical reserves to complete the next phase of the bike lanes, which in my opinion is totally wrong. They may make it appear as if there was no tax increase in order to obtain those finances, but they were raised previously from taxpayers in past years. It was there for rainy days; not stupid bike lanes that nobody wants or uses.

I personally think that its time to say "Hasta La Vista" to the C.F.O. (and good riddance) and contract out the finance dept to the local kindergarten class; any one of them could come up with a better budget than has just occurred. We taxpayers are tired of getting the shaft! :-X
Here's what the DPA is saying:
They urge the city to use its sizeable reserves — $23 million in the electrical reserve alone — to absorb a year of tax and utility freezes.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ity-budget

Maybe it's not that simple, but sounds like a reasonable suggestion to me. I agree they should not be using 4.7 million from the reserve for the bike lanes.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Nooby wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 12:58 pm
pentona wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 11:48 am

Here's what the DPA is saying:
They urge the city to use its sizeable reserves — $23 million in the electrical reserve alone — to absorb a year of tax and utility freezes.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ity-budget

Maybe it's not that simple, but sounds like a reasonable suggestion to me. I agree they should not be using 4.7 million from the reserve for the bike lanes.
It would be interesting to know what they could reduce that 8.5% proposed rate hike to, if they used 4.7 Million from the reserves to cushion the blow, rather than blow it on dumb bike lanes that nobody wants!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

spooker wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 12:35 pm
Where's the calling into question the amount of money spent on regular road construction?
People don't question those expenses because they see actual people using the road unlike the bike lanes for cripes sake. I would bet that for every 600 vehicles using Government st there are 4 bikes.
Brilliant use of tax dollars in a community of Penticton demographics.
We build 8 million in bike lanes so you can drive down from Kelowna to use them. Priceless.
And what did you leave behind except a purchase of a cpl bottles of water and maybe a lunch. Whoo Hoo.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
spooker

Post by spooker »

twobits wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 6:19 pm
spooker wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 12:35 pm
Where's the calling into question the amount of money spent on regular road construction?
People don't question those expenses because they see actual people using the road unlike the bike lanes for cripes sake. I would bet that for every 600 vehicles using Government st there are 4 bikes.
Brilliant use of tax dollars in a community of Penticton demographics.
We build 8 million in bike lanes so you can drive down from Kelowna to use them. Priceless.
And what did you leave behind except a purchase of a cpl bottles of water and maybe a lunch. Whoo Hoo.
Exactly, people don't question things that support the status quo ... yet we still have congestion and pollution, we still have collisions, we're still gaining weight ... yeah, that status quo is a wonderful thing :up:
Last edited by spooker on Nov 10th, 2021, 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

spooker wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 6:26 pm

Exactly, people don't question things that support the status quo ... yet we still have congestion and pollution, we still have collisions, we' still gaining weight ... yeah, that status quo is a wonderful thing :up:
More and more people are going to Hybrid and Electric vehicles (4 wheeled); these will need roads and parking spaces not bike lanes, especially with the demographics in our city. The fantasy of most people riding, shopping, etc on 2 wheels is impracticle.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

LOL, electric vehicles may even make bikes obsolete.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote: Nov 10th, 2021, 5:06 pm LOL, electric vehicles may even make bikes obsolete.
Yes, that could very well be the case. The green cyclists better stop protesting things like Site C dam, as we will need that electricity and soon, to power all these 4 wheeled vehicles.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Electric vehicles solve a single issue, bicycles solve more than one ... I love watching the looks of people trapped in their cars when I cycle past the gridlock ...
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

I love watching the grim looks on cyclists faces when I drive by them during a cold rain in my warm, dry and comfy GMC.
Not really :up:
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

As the saying goes … karma can be a real b@#%*. As the car door opens and the driver calmly says … “oops sorry didn’t see you”.
Then those drivers you speak of drive by slowly smiling and watch you on the ground. Don’t really wish this upon you or any other cyclists ..just a gentle reminder about karma :up: .
spooker

Post by spooker »

southy wrote: Nov 10th, 2021, 7:45 pm As the saying goes … karma can be a real b@#%*. As the car door opens and the driver calmly says … “oops sorry didn’t see you”.
Then those drivers you speak of drive by slowly smiling and watch you on the ground. Don’t really wish this upon you or any other cyclists ..just a gentle reminder about karma :up: .
That is a ticketable offense ... and you know that people have died that way right? A little tasteless even for you southy ...

I was illustrating congestion, your example just seems to illustrate ignorance ...

Return to “South Okanagan”