Naramata Bench Housing proposal

DoDo1975
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Naramata Bench Housing proposal

Post by DoDo1975 »

indianlarry66 wrote:i never misposted , the pib claims the adjacent land as part of their territory . its unceded is their position .

the sickle point land is a different issue and both are discussed in the article posted
I think you might be misinterpreting the press release from PIB. I believe it says they claim everything, The have not ceded anything and they should be the ones determining what happens to all land in the area. This includes the development in question, sickle point, all lands adjacent to anything including all of penticton, kaleden and naramata; privately owned of not. Not just some little bits of land here and there. All of it.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

^^^ exactly, and can be an issue going forward.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
cyruslosco66
Banned

Post by cyruslosco66 »

if its unceded then it is their land and i as a settler recognize that :smt045 . to me it isnt a problem , its a opportunaty for our govt to partner with the first nations to build sustainable housing for everyone in bc .

if we listen to them about where they think the sensitive areas are , we can work out partnerships for all the area that they would say is fine to develop . .
m4a ubi free palestine wear a mask support your local first nation band
DoDo1975
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by DoDo1975 »

indianlarry66 wrote:if its unceded then it is their land and i as a settler recognize that :smt045 . to me it isnt a problem , its a opportunaty for our govt to partner with the first nations to build sustainable housing for everyone in bc .

if we listen to them about where they think the sensitive areas are , we can work out partnerships for all the area that they would say is fine to develop . .
I think you may be oversimplifying it. Its not as simple as saying if it's not ceded, it is their land. The entire country is either unceded, or ceded purportedly under duress according to FN.

Oh, they have claimed it, they say it was never ceded so OK, it's all theirs. Nope, no problems there.

I am not sure all "settlers" see it the same way as you. Some may think that "settlers" have as much right to "traditional territory" as FN think they do. Or they may not view "traditional territory" as being FN land where FN are the authority on it's use, as FN appear to. Remember, "traditional territory is pretty much the entire country."
cyruslosco66
Banned

Post by cyruslosco66 »

yes i know what it means and my experiances with firat nations has them as a sharing people and i have zero worries about development .

the only catch is we need to start respecting them as equal partners in our futures going forward .
m4a ubi free palestine wear a mask support your local first nation band
Atlanta Falcons

Post by Atlanta Falcons »

This development will go ahead in the future. They already have the zoning to do this . It will be on a smaller scale perhaps 150 homes. The tax payers of Penticton are the one’s that are going to loose out. The developer will not have to pay for as many upgrades to the info structure . I love all the people that have moved her from other area such as Vancouver that do not want the city to grow.Then they all shop in Kelowna because of the lack of retail. Its going to get worse when the Hudson’s Bay shuts its doors for good. The NIMBY side all yell the most.Do you think the City Of Penticton will turn down the tax dollars from this development @ $4000 a lot per year.Council is playing your game till the developers come back to the table with a new revamped version.Remember the grapes they grow on the Naramta bench do not feed families. Construction jobs feed families.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Atlanta Falcons wrote:This development will go ahead in the future.
A development may go ahead in the future. As per zoning allowances.
Atlanta Falcons wrote:The tax payers of Penticton are the one’s that are going to loose out.
The current taxpayers would loose out is if this was zoned commercial/industrial and the tax multiplier they pay. It's not, so the current taxpayers will not be loosing out.
Atlanta Falcons wrote:The developer will not have to pay for as many upgrades to the info structure .
Think I understand what you meant to say, but any new infrastructure on that property, whether 2 houses or 150 houses, is the developers responsibility, including fire hydrants, sewer lines, water control etc.
Atlanta Falcons wrote:Then they all shop in Kelowna because of the lack of retail.
Most, but not all, shopping for people living in Penticton is done in Penticton.
Atlanta Falcons wrote:Council is playing your game till the developers come back to the table with a new revamped
version.
Not sure what the "game " you refer to, but the developer might just do exactly that, come back with a re-vamped version, that will fit in with the current zoning allowances. Part of the property is zoned for a mobile home park, somehow looking at Horizon's past developments, a mobile home park would not be in their proposal. The pads would be frightfully expensive for any potential purchaser.
Atlanta Falcons wrote:Remember the grapes they grow on the Naramta bench do not feed families. Construction jobs feed
families.
Actually "grapes" do feed some families, but the vineyard workers I don't think earn the same as a construction worker or any of the other trades involved in building a house. Those will benefit if Horizon comes back with a proposal that fits that property and current zoning. 307 houses obviously did not.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Atlanta Falcons wrote:This development will go ahead in the future. They already have the zoning to do this . It will be on a smaller scale perhaps 150 homes.
No they don't. Current zoning with topography considered might be 50 or 60 acerage lots. Then there would be costs of whatever servicing would be required. Sewer? Well water or City? Asphalt? Curbs and gutters or what other kind of runoff mitigation?
Not so simple Altlanta. I actually supported Canadian Horizons with their Sendero Development until I actually saw the product they delivered. They are land predators pure and simple and City Councils bow to them when they show up with their millions of dollars of "economic development".
Look up Canadian Horizons website! They are not interested in the welfare of neighborhoods or character of the City we live in. They are active seekers of money for from everyone and anyone with 100k or more to invest in their real estate company. They are not local people like the Wiltse's that opened up their lands 10 or 20 acres at a time that created neighborhoods. Company's like this buy up things like the entire Wilste lands and maximize every friggen square inch to maximize profit and get away with as much cost as they can. They then build modern....and yes nice homes....and sell the dream of home ownership until you move into the home and realize if you need to borrow a cup of sugar, you only need to open a window facing your neighbor and they can pass one to you.
We live in Canada for cripes sake. We are not land area starved. We do not need large investment REIT's like Canadian Horizons making us believe the only path to home ownership on a single home lot needs to be three feet away from the neighbor and guests cannot park on the road because it is so narrow that a fire truck or ambulance cannot get thru.
That is what Sendero is and that is what Canadian Horizons (real estate fund) wants to do to the bench lands.
The City needs to get away from these mega developers and let smaller land owners on the hillside from 3 mile on Naramata to the Eastside Rd City limit slowly and intelligently open up 5 to 10 lots here and there, contribute to capital costs of servicing, but let livable and sustainable single family housing be available to those that do not want a townhouse or condo but also have a family space we all grew up with. We called it our back yard. Sadly, that concept has been lost.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote: I actually supported Canadian Horizons with their Sendero Development until I actually saw the product they delivered. They are land predators pure and simple and City Councils bow to them when they show up with their millions of dollars of "economic development".
Look up Canadian Horizons website! They are not interested in the welfare of neighborhoods or character of the City we live in. They are active seekers of money for from everyone and anyone with 100k or more to invest in their real estate company. They are not local people like the Wiltse's that opened up their lands 10 or 20 acres at a time that created neighborhoods. Company's like this buy up things like the entire Wilste lands and maximize every friggen square inch to maximize profit and get away with as much cost as they can. They then build modern....and yes nice homes....and sell the dream of home ownership until you move into the home and realize if you need to borrow a cup of sugar, you only need to open a window facing your neighbor and they can pass one to you.
We live in Canada for cripes sake. We are not land area starved. We do not need large investment REIT's like Canadian Horizons making us believe the only path to home ownership on a single home lot needs to be three feet away from the neighbor and guests cannot park on the road because it is so narrow that a fire truck or ambulance cannot get thru.
That is what Sendero is and that is what Canadian Horizons (real estate fund) wants to do to the bench lands.
The City needs to get away from these mega developers and let smaller land owners on the hillside from 3 mile on Naramata to the Eastside Rd City limit slowly and intelligently open up 5 to 10 lots here and there, contribute to capital costs of servicing, but let livable and sustainable single family housing be available to those that do not want a townhouse or condo but also have a family space we all grew up with. We called it our back yard. Sadly, that concept has been lost.

I agree, twobits; let us hope that if the Naramata Bench development goes ahead, that its nothing like what they built in Sendero; that place is a joke. The city allowed suites (ok) but did not insist that enough OFF-street parking be required. In the evenings when folks are home, the streets are literally packed with vehicles. Its not only dangerous, its downright ugly. You would never see that in a Strata development (they don't want the eyesore); and Wiltse Flats for the most part was done right, so far.

Return to “South Okanagan”