Off-leash dogs disrespectful

JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: Off-leash dogs disrespectful

Post by JagXKR »

Boosted632 wrote: Jun 17th, 2021, 8:42 pm No actually shes not right shes an idiot who should phone bylaws or the pib bylaws people, she has no right whatsoever to scream at people telling them to leash their :cuss: dog if she did that to me should most likely end up running away in tears .
No she's right you are wrong. And so aggressive. Your rights to have an unleashed dog trump others? And you'll make them cry because of your beliefs?
Shameful. Actually, beyond shameful.
To all the arrogant dog owners out there who let Fido run loose on land that isn't yours, shape up.
Stop being :cuss:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

People walking un-leashed dogs is rampant throughout the Okanagan and likely BC. The act is regulated (supposedly) by local bylaws. If one is in the company of their mutt outside a municipality there are no regulations, except wildlife rules that they can't chase wildlife etc. If one want to walk their dog off leash in the wilds of BC (bring lots of bear spray) and take their chances, that fine with me. Survival of the fittest. (Darwin principle applies)

My wife and I live in Summerland and have for the last 13 years. She plans her walks around where she is less likely to encounter un-leashed dogs.

We live adjacent to the Dale Meadows Sports Fields and Giant's Head Elementary School, flat area with a track lots of nice walking areas, she avoids it because of all the unleashed dogs. There is an access to the sports field area adjacent to our home, I got tired of stepping on and picking up dog feces in our yard (we don't own dogs) and put up a fence.

These "law abiding" dog owners are not only inconsiderate but apparently blind as well, as they walk past the "Dogs must be leashed" signs in the sports field area and the "Dogs Prohibited" signs at the school.

I don't see how this woman's concerns have got the attention of the media when the problem is systemic.

The next time I see a Bylaw officer (if in fact there really is one) enforcing the Summerland Dog Bylaw will be the first time.

I got a kick out of the Summerland Counsel debating where and if they should have an "off leash dog park", the entire bloody town is an off leash dog park !
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
spooker

Post by spooker »

I like to walk my dog off-leash when I can but I am very aware that I'm in the wrong in some of the areas that I do and am ready with the leash if called for ... thankfully my lab is well behaved and listens to me "most" of the time ... I can handle it if someone needs me to leash up my dog, and he can handle it too ...
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

spooker wrote: Jun 18th, 2021, 9:36 am I like to walk my dog off-leash when I can but I am very aware that I'm in the wrong in some of the areas that I do and am ready with the leash if called for ... thankfully my lab is well behaved and listens to me "most" of the time ... I can handle it if someone needs me to leash up my dog, and he can handle it too ...
OH YES !, the "My dog is well behaved scenario" OF COURSE !!! YES.

Many bylaw have the proviso in them, "all dogs must be on leash in public unless the dog is well behaved"

So when driving your car, you feel also that it's OK to speed and if the authorities want you to obey the law, they should stop you and ask you to ?

NEWS FLASH,,, we all NEED you to walk your dog on a leash, we just don't think we should have to ask you to obey the law.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

JagXKR wrote: Jun 18th, 2021, 8:27 am No she's right you are wrong.
In my opinion, only if she was running on the channel parkway south of the Fairview bridge.

If she was barking elsewhere on the Parkway, I feel she is wrong to be complaining.
Because if she "says" it is our land, does not make it so if outside that area south of Fairview bridge. Same as the orange idiot south of us saying things are true ad nauseum.
Look at the maps and boundary lines.

When the provincial and Federal government adjust the boundaries and corresponding maps to include PIB land right to the channels edge, then I'll adhere to any bylaws they might have posted.

In the meantime I'll walk along the parkway the other side of the dam with my Goldens chasing the ball on the grass, along with the majority of other dogs and their owners.
Last edited by seewood on Jun 18th, 2021, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

spooker wrote: Jun 18th, 2021, 9:36 am I like to walk my dog off-leash when I can but I am very aware that I'm in the wrong in some of the areas that I do and am ready with the leash if called for ... thankfully my lab is well behaved and listens to me "most" of the time ... I can handle it if someone needs me to leash up my dog, and he can handle it too ...
If in an area where there are NO "keep dogs on leash" signs, no problem. However if its signed (as in the channel path on PIB land), respect their rules and also pick up your dog cr@p. I was lunged at recently on the KVR on City land by a Jack Russell, who came up from behind and surprised me. The owner was 100 yards behind and didn't attempt to call his dog. I waited for him and gave him a piece of my mind; likely didn't sink in.

If the dog had bit me, he would have received a serious head injury from a size 10 boot! (the area was signed of course; owner oblivious to the rules). Am not a dog hater; just don't have one; don't want one and expect people to respect the rules.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

my5cents wrote: Jun 18th, 2021, 9:45 am NEWS FLASH,,, we all NEED you to walk your dog on a leash, we just don't think we should have to ask you to obey the law
My dogs are on a leash if we walk down the lakefront paths at either lake. My dogs are on a leash while I walk to the pathetic little dog park on Okanagan Lake. The dog by-laws are well posted and well enforced. And, most importantly, it is the right thing to do with so many people about.

Took the "girls" to a beach area this am(7:30) and all I saw were two other dogs running off leash with their owner not far behind and then a wonderful little border collie with a ball wanting me to throw it. Owner was again not too far behind. All three dogs then had a great game of chase, ran their fools heads off then swims to cool off and had a terrific time. Makes me happy when I see dogs enjoying themselves. I might dare to say therapeutic for me.
Others I saw, several walking along the road and several park employees. That's it. Never consider going to that area after about 9am.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

pentona wrote: Jun 18th, 2021, 9:53 am If in an area where there are NO "keep dogs on leash" signs, no problem. However if its signed (as in the channel path on PIB land), respect their rules and also pick up your dog cr@p. I was lunged at recently on the KVR on City land by a Jack Russell, who came up from behind and surprised me. The owner was 100 yards behind and didn't attempt to call his dog. I waited for him and gave him a piece of my mind; likely didn't sink in.

If the dog had bit me, he would have received a serious head injury from a size 10 boot! (the area was signed of course; owner oblivious to the rules). Am not a dog hater; just don't have one; don't want one and expect people to respect the rules.
Wrong

Municipal bylaw encompass the entire municipality. In the case of those municipalities that don't have a dog bylaw there is also the Regional District of the Central Okanagan that has a bylaw.

Just like every street in Kelowna or other such town isn't posted with a speed limit sign because the default speed limit within the municipality is 50 mph unless otherwise posed, there isn't a need for "Keep Your Dog on Leash" signs at every location.

There are signs placed to remind people of the law, but it isn't a case that if there is no sign it's OK to run your dog wild.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

seewood wrote: Jun 18th, 2021, 9:58 am
My dogs are on a leash if we walk down the lakefront paths at either lake. My dogs are on a leash while I walk to the pathetic little dog park on Okanagan Lake. The dog by-laws are well posted and well enforced. And, most importantly, it is the right thing to do with so many people about.

Took the "girls" to a beach area this am(7:30) and all I saw were two other dogs running off leash with their owner not far behind and then a wonderful little border collie with a ball wanting me to throw it. Owner was again not too far behind. All three dogs then had a great game of chase, ran their fools heads off then swims to cool off and had a terrific time. Makes me happy when I see dogs enjoying themselves. I might dare to say therapeutic for me.
Others I saw, several walking along the road and several park employees. That's it. Never consider going to that area after about 9am.
As long as the areas you are talking about are designated off leash areas, great, fill your boots. If this area you are talking about isn't you are breaking the law and should be fined.

I don't care how wonderful it is for your "girls".

I don't want your dogs off leash in an area designated for people. I won't wander into an off leash area, how about you keep your dogs on leash in mine.

Ya, I know your dogs are wonderful, they are friendly and they are therapeutic for you to watch have fun. Just keep them where and how they are supposed to be.

Why are so many people so unaware. It's always, "ya, but these are my dogs they are...."
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Since we are on this subject, what about those dog owners who disrespect the "No Dogs Allowed" signs on Penticton School ground fields? Some of the signs have even been ripped down. Dog cr@p on grounds where kids run and play. Some owners just feel that every green space belongs to them to let their dogs off leash, which is totally wrong. i would like to see more enforcement and better signage re the school fields.

I know that some dog owners don't like the designated off-leash parks but that's what the City provided; I would say "use them or lose them".
spooker

Post by spooker »

my5cents wrote: Jun 18th, 2021, 9:45 am
OH YES !, the "My dog is well behaved scenario" OF COURSE !!! YES.

Many bylaw have the proviso in them, "all dogs must be on leash in public unless the dog is well behaved"

So when driving your car, you feel also that it's OK to speed and if the authorities want you to obey the law, they should stop you and ask you to ?

NEWS FLASH,,, we all NEED you to walk your dog on a leash, we just don't think we should have to ask you to obey the law.
But isn't life all about "my" convenience? That's what I keep seeing from people with regards to other things (i.e. driving as you point out)

As a cyclist I have more issue with leashes than without ... it's easy to avoid the dog, but those retractable leashes as hard to see most times and get caught in the drivetrain easily ...
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

JagXKR wrote: Jun 18th, 2021, 8:27 am
Boosted632 wrote: Jun 17th, 2021, 8:42 pm No actually shes not right shes an idiot who should phone bylaws or the pib bylaws people, she has no right whatsoever to scream at people telling them to leash their :cuss: dog if she did that to me should most likely end up running away in tears .
No she's right you are wrong. And so aggressive. You're rights to have an unleashed dog trump others? And you'll make them cry because of your beliefs?
Shameful. Actually, beyond shameful.
To all the arrogant dog owners out there who let Fido run loose on land that isn't yours, shape up.
Stop being :cuss:
JagXKR I am on your side with this one. Sadly these days I notice more dog owners tend to be ignorant than they used to be about leashes.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

pentona wrote: Jun 18th, 2021, 10:31 am Since we are on this subject, what about those dog owners who disrespect the "No Dogs Allowed" signs on Penticton School ground fields? Some of the signs have even been ripped down. Dog cr@p on grounds where kids run and play. Some owners just feel that every green space belongs to them to let their dogs off leash, which is totally wrong. i would like to see more enforcement and better signage re the school fields.

I know that some dog owners don't like the designated off-leash parks but that's what the City provided; I would say "use them or lose them".
Well said Pentona. These fields are treated as off leash parks by many people.
Worst I have seen is when in Kamloops people using a grass cemetary as a place to play fetch with their dogs running around. Totally disrespectful.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

spooker wrote: Jun 18th, 2021, 10:38 am As a cyclist I have more issue with leashes than without ... it's easy to avoid the dog, but those retractable leashes as hard to see most times and get caught in the drivetrain easily ...
All this talk about law, so lets just read the law.

From the RDCO Responsible Dog Ownership Bylaw No. 1343 :

"Leash" - Means a leash with a fixed total length of 2 meters or less.

I guess that was written for cases like you explain and also for the person who thinks they can avoid the leash law in a park by tying Fido up to a 90 foot piece of rope.

Just because a vendor sells something doesn't make it legal. We all see the bike racks carrying bikes that hide license plates.

Just because you've got your bike strapped to your car doesn't mean you're exempt from displaying your license plate. Same with the leash.

I hate leashes in certain circumstances like public markets. That doesn't mean people should have their dogs off leash it means they should LEAVE THE MUTT AT HOME.

Why do people think because they have a dog it has to attend every event they do. That includes my relatives from Alberta that think it's OK to bring their dog to my house on vacation.

"That's great you're coming to the Okanagan cousin Bill, gee haven't heard from you for two years but now you want to visit. Great ! When you get in, and get settled in a hotel, give us a call and we can meet at a restaurant for a snack, looking forward to it......"

PS: When this happens, who's on the road, you on the bike or the dog and owner ?
Miss Maggie
Fledgling

Post by Miss Maggie »

my5cents wrote: Jun 18th, 2021, 11:15 am
spooker wrote: Jun 18th, 2021, 10:38 am As a cyclist I have more issue with leashes than without ... it's easy to avoid the dog, but those retractable leashes as hard to see most times and get caught in the drivetrain easily ...
All this talk about law, so lets just read the law.

From the RDCO Responsible Dog Ownership Bylaw No. 1343 :

"Leash" - Means a leash with a fixed total length of 2 meters or less.

I guess that was written for cases like you explain and also for the person who thinks they can avoid the leash law in a park by tying Fido up to a 90 foot piece of rope.

Just because a vendor sells something doesn't make it legal. We all see the bike racks carrying bikes that hide license plates.

Just because you've got your bike strapped to your car doesn't mean you're exempt from displaying your license plate. Same with the leash.

I hate leashes in certain circumstances like public markets. That doesn't mean people should have their dogs off leash it means they should LEAVE THE MUTT AT HOME.

Why do people think because they have a dog it has to attend every event they do. That includes my relatives from Alberta that think it's OK to bring their dog to my house on vacation.

"That's great you're coming to the Okanagan cousin Bill, gee haven't heard from you for two years but now you want to visit. Great ! When you get in, and get settled in a hotel, give us a call and we can meet at a restaurant for a snack, looking forward to it......"

PS: When this happens, who's on the road, you on the bike or the dog and owner ?
Kinda being picky here but RDCO bylaws aren’t really relevant in this. RDOS encompasses the PIB lands and the City of Penticton are adjacent but across the river so we could look to those if not on PIB lands. RDOS just requires a leash be affixed to both dog and owner.

RDOS dog control enforcement is non-existent though so even if they have jurisdiction they’ll look the other way.

Return to “South Okanagan”