Chain Saw standoff @Trout Creek

Williy

Chain Saw standoff @Trout Creek

Post by Williy »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ion#349504

It’ll be interesting to know if it was a “local” who created the scene on Friday evening. Talking about Trout Creek has anybody else noticed that lady that regularly pulls weeds from the median on Highway 97 at that particular location? I have seen her on several occasions at different times of the day. Very troubling to witness, cars whizzing by just inches away while she’s bent over pulling weeds from the cracks in the asphalt.Can any local residents to Trout Creek give feedback on how that whole Motel single room tenant conversion thing is playing out? I also wonder if incidents like these are a result of the new “local” residents?
seewood
Guru

Re: Chain Saw standoff @Trout Creek

Post by seewood »

I suspect the fellow might have been arrested under the mental heath act. Off to a psych assessment before long perhaps.

Wonder if chainsaws will be considered weapons now?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

seewood wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 8:11 am Wonder if chainsaws will be considered weapons now?
Without a doubt, transportation of said weapon will be along the following lines.
The chain removed from the bar and locked in a container with a bio-metric lock.
Bar in a separate container.
Body of chainsaw in a separate vehicle.

Did I just write body, weapon and chainsaw in one post, that could have caused offence to someone
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

seewood wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 8:11 am I suspect the fellow might have been arrested under the mental heath act. Off to a psych assessment before long perhaps.

Peanut butter can be considered a weapon.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

seewood wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 8:11 am I suspect the fellow might have been arrested under the mental heath act. Off to a psych assessment before long perhaps.

Yes you'll have to register them all is the bar length exceeds 14 inches. Wait till the FEDs hear this one.

"According to Section 2 of the Criminal Code, a weapon is any object used, designed to be used, or intended to be used to threaten or intimidate a person, or to cause injury or death to a person. This broad definition may include household items such as butter knives if their purpose is to threaten, intimidate, or cause bodily harm or death to another person."
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Ken7 wrote: Mar 4th, 2022, 4:08 pm Yes you'll have to register them all is the bar length exceeds 14 inches. Wait till the FEDs hear this one.
Ha, I probably have several prohibited ones then with bar lengths of 36 inches... :130:
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

seewood wrote: Mar 4th, 2022, 4:14 pm
Ken7 wrote: Mar 4th, 2022, 4:08 pm Yes you'll have to register them all is the bar length exceeds 14 inches. Wait till the FEDs hear this one.
Ha, I probably have several prohibited ones then with bar lengths of 36 inches... :130:
What about the auto start ones? Had one a few years back, you pull the rope out slowly all the way out, it gathers the energy and when you let go it recoils and starts the saw.

Restricted for those? [icon_lol2.gif]

Or fuel chamber limited to 500 mL? :biggrin:

:130:
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Sparki55 wrote: Mar 4th, 2022, 4:47 pm
What about the auto start ones? Had one a few years back, you pull the rope out slowly all the way out, it gathers the energy and when you let go it recoils and starts the saw.

Restricted for those? [icon_lol2.gif]

Or fuel chamber limited to 500 mL?
Interesting method of starting a saw. Have never seen one of those and I use a chainsaw for so many things other than falling tree's or bucking up firewood.
Which leads me to believe that this feature is redundant to anyone that uses a chainsaw by holding the saw with there non dominant hand and pulling the start cord with their dominant hand all while standing erect and in control. The corollary here is that the people that know how to start a saw without putting it on the ground and stepping on it to pull the cord in an effort to start the saw, do not need this price inflating feature... and the people that might benefit from this kind of saw starting feature with increased cost will never go near a running chain saw anyway never mind try to start one.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

twobits wrote: Mar 4th, 2022, 6:41 pm The corollary here is that the people that know how to start a saw without putting it on the ground and stepping on it to pull the cord in an effort to start the saw, do not need this price inflating feature..
Always a mystery to me why they started putting decompression buttons on saws. It's just a little single cylinder engine..

Bump start has always worked for me... :D
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

twobits wrote: Mar 4th, 2022, 6:41 pm Interesting method of starting a saw. Have never seen one of those and I use a chainsaw for so many things other than falling tree's or bucking up firewood.
Glad you're an expert.

The ranch I worked at is where I picked it up for the first time. Probably added $20 to the cost of the saw... Just a big spring with a large mechanical advantage.

Was a huge hit with the cow gals for trimming fence posts.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Sparki55 wrote: Mar 4th, 2022, 9:40 pm

Glad you're an expert.

The ranch I worked at is where I picked it up for the first time. Probably added $20 to the cost of the saw... Just a big spring with a large mechanical advantage.

Was a huge hit with the cow gals for trimming fence posts.
Never said I was an expert but now that you bring it up I probably am. Layed down plenty of 4 to 5 foot diameter above butt swell and core rotted barber chair Cedars for shake blocks in my twenties. IMHO, anyone that cannot bump start a chainsaw was never taught how to start a saw or given little instruction on safety ergo they are a danger to themselves and all others around them if they do start it. Fortunately this class of chain saw owner is surprised they got it started and is smart enough to be very very afraid of it when it is running. They just plain feel dangerous when running and they are holding it.
And as a nod to seawood, the decompression button for high ratio compression engines is a godsend when arthritis becomes part of your life :130:.
My 30 and 36 inch bars are gone lol. All I have left are a 20 and 18. And the 18 does everything I need to do.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

I live in the neighbourhood. The guy was on drugs and deranged. He could have used a knife or an axe, for all it matters. What's this discussion about chainsaws for?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

BC Landlord wrote: Mar 19th, 2022, 12:46 pm I live in the neighbourhood. The guy was on drugs and deranged. He could have used a knife or an axe, for all it matters. What's this discussion about chainsaws for?
Perhaps you should read the first post in the thread and the link provided and you will understand why chainsaws are part of this conversation. No disrespect intended but you can't just jump into the conversation without knowing what the conversation about and how it started. That would be a Joe Biden move.

BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

twobits wrote: Mar 19th, 2022, 6:21 pm Perhaps you should read the first post in the thread and the link provided and you will understand why chainsaws are part of this conversation.
Not sure where chainsaw technicalities come into this picture. As I said, I live close by, and I know people working there. The guy was deranged and under influence. That's about it. Luckily no injuries or worse.

Return to “South Okanagan”