Good old days are going to be back!

southy
Lord of the Board

Good old days are going to be back!

Post by southy »

Perhaps I am being just a tad sensitive with regards to Mayor Vas's comments about traffic being rerouted through Penticton.
However, we are dealing with a major catastrophe. This isn't the time for Mayor Vas to be shouting .."The old days are going to be back here for a little bit!" Lives have been lost, homes have been lost, communities gone, people are suffering yet Mayor Vas feels this is going to be good for Penticton and Penticton businesses. In my opinion this thinking is shameful, it shows the lack of awareness and paints all of Penticton as opportunists. Where is John's empathy? Where is his concern? He could of simply said Penticton will welcome those who must travel through our city and we will help in any way we can. But he didn't he played the "this is going to be good for Penticton card". I for one am embarrassed by his comments. Here is link to story:

https://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/art ... a5655.html
Last edited by southy on Nov 18th, 2021, 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
spooker

Re: Good old days are going to be back!

Post by spooker »

Agreed, traffic should never be celebrated and as you point out, not for these particular reasons especially ...

Add to that the traffic will most likely just be passing through ... clogging things up for locals who have other places to get to in the city ... "spin" in just useless ...
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

I think you guys are looking far much into a few sentences quoted for an article.

I see the "old days" comment as referring to a time before the Coquihalla.
And ya, he is likely spot on referring to the increase in traffic and businesses will be positively affected as a result. Trying to make a positive out of a negative.

People will be stopping for food and fuel.

And good news. Booze on the beach will return again next year! :130:
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

spooker wrote: Nov 18th, 2021, 7:05 am Agreed, traffic should never be celebrated and as you point out, not for these particular reasons especially ...

Add to that the traffic will most likely just be passing through ... clogging things up for locals who have other places to get to in the city ... "spin" in just useless ...
Whew! For a moment there, spooker, I was afraid that you were going to say that the masses of new travellers through Penticton would stop, unload their bicycles and use the new bike lanes! [icon_lol2.gif] More likely to just be passing through to the big City (Kelowna) and if they stop at all, it would be mostly for fuel or a drive-thru restaurant. Vasslakis better be more concerned about traffic control than thinking that we may reap the benefits of increased traffic flow.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

spooker wrote: Nov 18th, 2021, 7:05 am Agreed, traffic should never be celebrated and as you point out, not for these particular reasons especially ...

If the extra traffic is just “passing through” then there should be no “clogging things up for the locals.” Traffic will come from a two lane highway into a four lane bypass and on to a four lane highway. The only “clogging” would be at Ekhardt and the bypass for a few blocks until they are over the bridge.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Anonymous123 wrote: Nov 18th, 2021, 9:21 am

If the extra traffic is just “passing through” then there should be no “clogging things up for the locals.” Traffic will come from a two lane highway into a four lane bypass and on to a four lane highway. The only “clogging” would be at Ekhardt and the bypass for a few blocks until they are over the bridge.
Do you see any possible issues at the Kaleden junction (3A and 97 South)? If so, what would be the best solution there?
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

That’s not really in town now is it?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

pentona wrote: Nov 18th, 2021, 9:25 am
Do you see any possible issues at the Kaleden junction (3A and 97 South)? If so, what would be the best solution there?
A Roundabout.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Anonymous123 wrote: Nov 18th, 2021, 9:30 am That’s not really in town now is it?
No, but it has everything to do with the topic here and how the anticipated extra loads of vehicles will be arriving here. Safe passage through should be everyone's concern. Highway 97 @ Eckhart is also not an in-town roadway; part of the highway system.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Mayor Vas in his wisdom should also be MOT's case about putting lights up on Skaha Lake Road and the new subdivision above airport. It is difficult enough getting out of there now, never mind when increased traffic appears. Getting back to topic ... I still think Vas was out of line to say what he did. Totally ignorant comments during these trying times. When is the next election?
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

Highway 97 @ Eckhart is going to be nasty. :200:
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

0gopogo wrote: Nov 18th, 2021, 11:20 am Highway 97 @ Eckhart is going to be nasty. :200:
Yes, it will be nasty. I am hoping that perhaps they might limit large trucks on Highway 3 to night time only, (or cars only at night; whatever) as the mix of cars, trucks, and semis (many unfamiliar with the Hope Princeton) could be disastrous.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

pentona wrote: Nov 18th, 2021, 9:45 am
Anonymous123 wrote: Nov 18th, 2021, 9:30 am That’s not really in town now is it?
No, but it has everything to do with the topic here and how the anticipated extra loads of vehicles will be arriving here. Safe passage through should be everyone's concern. Highway 97 @ Eckhart is also not an in-town roadway; part of the highway system.
The conversation was about “in the city”.
spooker wrote: ↑Today, 7:05 am
Agreed, traffic should never be celebrated and as you point out, not for these particular reasons especially ...

Add to that the traffic will most likely just be passing through ....... clogging things up for locals who have other places to get to in the city ...... "spin" in just useless ...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I knew exactly what he meant the moment I read it:

Food services, hotels/motels, liquor stores, gas stations, sundries, groceries. People stop in. 40 years ago all that came to a screeching end as the Hope-Princeton Hwy was almost abandoned overnight.

i get it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

What food services?
The grocery stores have empty produce, bakery and dairy sections.
There was a lot of potato chips and ice cream though. :biggrin:
Try getting any food at Timmy's or Starbucks. :swear:
Gas stations still have gas.....for now. :200:
So what are the travellers going to buy? What business will benefit? :135:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “South Okanagan”