It snowed

Steve-O
Übergod

Re: It snowed

Post by Steve-O »

twobits wrote: Jan 8th, 2022, 5:46 pm
Steve-O wrote: Jan 8th, 2022, 5:30 am I think you need to go for a bike ride twobits. It will help calm you down some.
Nice deflection steve o. Don't critique the view presented and instead suggest I could calm down if I just took a bike ride. Not physically capable of riding a bike due to spinal injury smart butt. Rebut in an intelligent critique or put your keyboard in the closet where it won't hurt you.
Sorry to hear about your injury twobits. I do find riding good for the soul, mind and body. Your post started quite nice until you lost me on your cyclist rant, all you needed to say is you're not a fan. Biking is my thing, hope you have something for yourself. Online forums sure aren't it for anyone.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Steve-O wrote: Jan 9th, 2022, 1:55 pm

Sorry to hear about your injury twobits. I do find riding good for the soul, mind and body. Your post started quite nice until you lost me on your cyclist rant, all you needed to say is you're not a fan. Biking is my thing, hope you have something for yourself. Online forums sure aren't it for anyone.
Honestly, when I drill down to why I have the attitude I have is because I think in business terms and cost/benefit analysis.
The bike lanes as being created do not pass any kind of cost/benefit analysis in a return on Capital basis. So we then add a variable to the cost/benefit analysis that is an elusive component of cost that is not easily identified or empirically accounted for in that cost/benefit exercise. Then enters the Spandex crew.
This is where the problem starts for myself. A very clear and biased emphasis driving the decision of capital expenditure that a very clear minority that wants this kind of use disrupting vehicular traffic......all in the name of eco right and who cares how many people actually use it......it is just the right thing to do and people will use it if it is built. Trust us! But it is really just the spandex crew.
IMHO, this lake to lake 8 million dollar bike lane will cease to exist in 5 yrs as it will take a full change of Council to admit it is wrong and disruptive given our demographic.....and current Council will not lose face for this 8 mill cluster.....you know the adjective.
I drove the length of the bike lane from Westminster Ave and down Martin St to Duncan Ave today in search of a specific product. A beautiful sunny sSunday afternoon and the Bike lane was actually very busy. The traffic of the bike lane however was 2 B-trains of empty can shopping carts and at least three dozen people with a stroller and/or dog for a walk. Not one single bike. I actually turned around at Duncan and drove back to Westminster and still no single bike on this taxpayer cleared bike lane to bare asphalt dedicated lane. It was quite obvious why the bike lane was so well used by pedestrians......the sidewalks for most of the length of the new bike lane were at best....20% cleared at all of snow and ice despite a City bylaw that requires property owners to clear ice and snow to pavement by 11 am each day.
I would ask the simple question.....why are bike lanes plowed by the City that are not used in any measurable numbers during this time of year get plowed and cleared down to asphalt, yet sidewalks that run exactly parallel to the bike lanes are the responsibility of the person of the owner that fronts that sidewalk? Can no one else understand the absurdity of this situation??
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

twobits wrote: Jan 9th, 2022, 4:45 pm
Steve-O wrote: Jan 9th, 2022, 1:55 pm

Honestly, when I drill down to why I have the attitude I have is because I think in business terms and cost/benefit analysis.
The bike lanes as being created do not pass any kind of cost/benefit analysis in a return on Capital basis. So we then add a variable to the cost/benefit analysis that is an elusive component of cost that is not easily identified or empirically accounted for in that cost/benefit exercise. Then enters the Spandex crew.
This is where the problem starts for myself. A very clear and biased emphasis driving the decision of capital expenditure that a very clear minority that wants this kind of use disrupting vehicular traffic......all in the name of eco right and who cares how many people actually use it......it is just the right thing to do and people will use it if it is built. Trust us! But it is really just the spandex crew.
IMHO, this lake to lake 8 million dollar bike lane will cease to exist in 5 yrs as it will take a full change of Council to admit it is wrong and disruptive given our demographic.....and current Council will not lose face for this 8 mill cluster.....you know the adjective.
I drove the length of the bike lane from Westminster Ave and down Martin St to Duncan Ave today in search of a specific product. A beautiful sunny sSunday afternoon and the Bike lane was actually very busy. Except for bikes. The traffic of the bike lane however was 2 B-trains of empty can shopping carts and at least three dozen people with a stroller and/or dog for a walk. Not one single bike. I actually turned around at Duncan and drove back to Westminster and still no single bike on this taxpayer cleared bike lane to bare asphalt dedicated lane on a brilliant and sunny Sunday afternoon. It was quite obvious why the bike lane was so well used by pedestrians......the sidewalks for most of the length of the new bike lane were at best....20% cleared at all of snow and ice despite a City bylaw that requires property owners to clear ice and snow to pavement by 11 am each day.
I would ask the simple question.....why are bike lanes plowed by the City that are not used in any measurable numbers during this time of year get plowed and cleared down to asphalt, yet sidewalks that run exactly parallel to the bike lanes are the responsibility of the person of the owner that fronts that sidewalk? Can no one else understand the absurdity of this situation??
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Twobits I for one totally understand what you are saying. Well put by the way :130: .
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

dreamon wrote: Jan 9th, 2022, 10:43 am
Bsuds wrote: Jan 9th, 2022, 8:35 am I don't know how well it would work on a cul de sac where it's almost continuous driveway around the circle.
That is us.
We have to push the snow to middle of cul de sac as well as our 82 year old neighbour's
Your pushing your 82 year old neighbors into the cul de sac ? don't they get upset? [icon_lol2.gif]
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

cr125 wrote: Jan 9th, 2022, 6:33 pm
dreamon wrote: Jan 9th, 2022, 10:43 am

That is us.
We have to push the snow to middle of cul de sac as well as our 82 year old neighbour's
Your pushing your 82 year old neighbors into the cul de sac ? don't they get upset? [icon_lol2.gif]
I stick them on the top of the snow pile so they can keep on the eye on the neighbourhood and give direction as needed.

All joking aside though, he is Italian, has a massive garden, some vines so provides us with fresh produce and horrendous home made wine
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

dreamon wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 11:20 am

I stick them on the top of the snow pile so they can keep on the eye on the neighbourhood and give direction as needed.

All joking aside though, he is Italian, has a massive garden, some vines so provides us with fresh produce and horrendous home made wine
[/quote]

[icon_lol2.gif] :up:
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

OT but I have to say it anyway. Best neighbors I have ever had in my entire life have been Immigrants. Most of my experiences have been with European decent, but I also do not have a bad word to say about any immigrants I have had to share a property line with. I cannot unfortunately say the same about the white Anglo's.
Returning to topic in some fashion.......the only people that ever shoveled my driveway if they were out first were the immigrants. The only people that shared excess garden bounty were the immigrants. Go figger.
My advice if you are looking to buy a home....check out who you will be living next door to you. If English is their second language they will be the best neighbors you will ever have. And if you are nice to them.......you might be gifted with some amazing food leftovers!!

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Duplicate post

Return to “South Okanagan”