Bylaw becoming social workers?

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Bylaw becoming social workers?

Post by Bsuds »

I'm not so sure By-Law people have the where with all to effectively deal with mental issues.

Not a job I would want to do.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

cr125 wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 2:10 pm Hiring people who pick up stray dogs, informing people they are watering on the wrong days, asking people not to loiter, take your sandwich sign off the sidewalk, etc., etc. They absolutely would need proper training in handling Mental Health issues, drug addictions, otherwise its the same as hiring a body with a class 3, or 1 and letting them loose on the highways and start clearing snow, with little or no training what so ever.
A crash course isn't enough for either of these occupations.
I do not envy those who must deal with homeless and drug addicted people, its gotta be hard :smt045 Please, I mean no offence to those by-law officers, and the guys plowing snow.
There both tough occupations.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

JagXKR wrote: Jan 13th, 2022, 10:05 pm
spooker wrote: Jan 13th, 2022, 6:16 pm It's easy to generalize the issues of the homeless, simplify them so they can be dismissed as having chosen their destiny ...

More of this needs to happen all over the valley ... great to see Penticton taking the lead here
It's easy to defend the homeless and simply say they did nothing to cause their own destiny....
I would state that most did this to themselves, whether on purpose or due mental incapacitation.
Bad decisions are made by many and their consequences are sometimes harsh. Does not mean they did not make those decisions on their own volition.
Time for tough love and the Bylaw officers will have their hands full with getting these people help or keeping them from the crimes they commit daily.
Don't believe me? Go to the court one day and see how many thieves have "no fixed address".
sad but true, x2 :smt045 ,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Bsuds wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 2:32 pm I'm not so sure By-Law people have the where with all to effectively deal with mental issues.

And these people should not be expected to deal with mental health issues. Dealing with such people is a defined program that protects the assistor as much as the assisted. This is not voodoo health care.
What is being presented here (I hope) by the City, is a segment of Bylaw Personnel that actually have significant training in dealing with the population that "falls thru the cracks". Way too much...... and the mentality of lock em up in the Gulag has to stop as that is not productive at all. Nor is letting them out the next day for another neighborhood bounty run of thefts.

I will regale ya with a tale of my sister. An over the top social justice warrior with full paperwork In the Social Sciences that might make Dr Freud blush. If any of ya know me you can only imagine the politics and current social issues issues that take all night!
So, she is a full qualified SJW Social Worker in the late seventies...early 80's and a pioneer of what they then called the "Car 86' program.
The Car 86 program was a fully qualified Social Worker with a bunch of other capital letters behind the name that rode around in a VPD car with a senior and very experienced officer at the wheel from 6 pm to 6 am for the shift. Car 86 got called to attend when minor children and or drugs were involved. She was overwhelmed by the caseload, witnessed the squalor first hand, and while I shared a house with her from 84-86, came home with bloodshot eyes from the tears expended.
My point in my diatribe here is that if these new bylaw officers come with proper creds, And I mean this seriously, we could actually see some improvement with our substance addicted population.
And in wrapping up the thought.....it seems the VPD now has a Car 87 program that has a person trained in the arts of overdose and riding with a seasoned VPD member to handle those calls as vetted by front line 911 responders.
I really hope that the last three budgeted Bylaw officers slated for hire are the highest paid and not chalking tires or looking for expired parking meters.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

^^^What you are saying TB's is why I posted this in the first place. By law usually take courses from the justice institute ( by-law 1 and 2) but really don't believe there is or was, much in the way of dealing with chronic social issues. Diffusing neighbour squabbles yes, dealing with chronic drug addicted lowest rung of the socio economic scale, I dunno.

While working out of North Van in the late 80's, the company we flew in with ( precursor to Heli-jet) had a lady that worked the car 86 program in the evenings. Some mornings we could detect her demeanor was shaken. Pretty tough woman, just wonder how they cope today.

I hope they can make a difference, but really wonder if they can. I suspect many of the target audience are lying low during the day and pop up again once the sun has been down for a few hours.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

twobits wrote: Jan 15th, 2022, 5:36 pm
Bsuds wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 2:32 pm I'm not so sure By-Law people have the where with all to effectively deal with mental issues.

And these people should not be expected to deal with mental health issues. Dealing with such people is a defined program that protects the assistor as much as the assisted. This is not voodoo health care.
What is being presented here (I hope) by the City, is a segment of Bylaw Personnel that actually have significant training in dealing with the population that "falls thru the cracks". Way too much...... and the mentality of lock em up in the Gulag has to stop as that is not productive at all. Nor is letting them out the next day for another neighborhood bounty run of thefts.

I will regale ya with a tale of my sister. An over the top social justice warrior with full paperwork In the Social Sciences that might make Dr Freud blush. If any of ya know me you can only imagine the politics and current social issues issues that take all night!
So, she is a full qualified SJW Social Worker in the late seventies...early 80's and a pioneer of what they then called the "Car 86' program.
The Car 86 program was a fully qualified Social Worker with a bunch of other capital letters behind the name that rode around in a VPD car with a senior and very experienced officer at the wheel from 6 pm to 6 am for the shift. Car 86 got called to attend when minor children and or drugs were involved. She was overwhelmed by the caseload, witnessed the squalor first hand, and while I shared a house with her from 84-86, came home with bloodshot eyes from the tears expended.
My point in my diatribe here is that if these new bylaw officers come with proper creds, And I mean this seriously, we could actually see some improvement with our substance addicted population.
And in wrapping up the thought.....it seems the VPD now has a Car 87 program that has a person trained in the arts of overdose and riding with a seasoned VPD member to handle those calls as vetted by front line 911 responders.
I really hope that the last three budgeted Bylaw officers slated for hire are the highest paid and not chalking tires or looking for expired parking meters.
:up:
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

seewood wrote: Jan 15th, 2022, 8:02 pm ^^^What you are saying TB's is why I posted this in the first place. By law usually take courses from the justice institute ( by-law 1 and 2) but really don't believe there is or was, much in the way of dealing with chronic social issues. Diffusing neighbour squabbles yes, dealing with chronic drug addicted lowest rung of the socio economic scale, I dunno.

While working out of North Van in the late 80's, the company we flew in with ( precursor to Heli-jet) had a lady that worked the car 86 program in the evenings. Some mornings we could detect her demeanor was shaken. Pretty tough woman, just wonder how they cope today.

I hope they can make a difference, but really wonder if they can. I suspect many of the target audience are lying low during the day and pop up again once the sun has been down for a few hours.
:smt045
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

seewood wrote: Jan 15th, 2022, 8:02 pm ^^^What you are saying TB's is why I posted this in the first place. By law usually take courses from the justice institute ( by-law 1 and 2) but really don't believe there is or was, much in the way of dealing with chronic social issues. Diffusing neighbour squabbles yes, dealing with chronic drug addicted lowest rung of the socio economic scale, I dunno.

Well seewood, it sounds probable that you met my sister (step) and also one of the smartest people I have ever met despite her left of center compass position. She participated in the development and establishment of the car 86 program in what I thought was the early 80's but I could be off by a cpl of years. The program was initially started as a two year gig that matched an experienced VPD member with a qualified social worker to work as a team...combining both of their specialized skillsets to be as one, that dealt with the minor children that were just really casualties themselves when the battering ram of the law enters what is "their home and should be safe space". It was to be A VPD Member matched with a Social Worker with required creds. My sister did at least 10 "2 yr assignments" because she believed in what she was doing but sadly burned out and left the system entirely early 90's.
She likely knows, but I will query her next we speak, if what she started as the "car 86" program was expanded to make a "car 87" program with it's focus on primarily addition that does not include children?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”