City says "Welcome Home"

southy
Lord of the Board

City says "Welcome Home"

Post by southy »

Ok I get what they are trying to do, however in my opinion they have missed the boat once again.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... nts#362843

If they really wanted to welcome a new resident then the marketing brain trust in the big white building on Main should have taken a page out of Welcome Wagon. Let's face it ... how impressed are you going to be to receive a package of maps, and tourist info. Passes are a nice touch. Wonder if there's a personal letter from Mayor Vass? Welcome Wagon does it right. Maps, tourist information, plus offers from merchants throughout the city. I remember when I moved to Nelson. WW called me and the delightful woman at the other end of the phone actually invited me for lunch at her and husbands home. I did attend and I was so impressed. She was full of knowledge and took time to help me find my way around town. The package she gave me also included merchant offers ... small items from some merchants a map and a city pin. I felt welcomed.

It is really unfortunate the city hall staff can't become someone creative in their thinking. Hell they've got the DPA sitting there, why didn't they get them involved. Cherry Lane? So much more could have been offered. But ....once again they cheap out and miss the mark. Gee I hope they included a copy of the lake to lake bike lane map :biggrin: ... oh never mind.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: City says "Welcome Home"

Post by soupy »

I think they hit the mark, and like this plan.

Do you expect the City to offer a personal home cooked meal for each new resident like you had in Nelson? How long ago was that now?

You say they cheap out on the welcome package? What should us tax payers be buying them as a welcome gift instead? Perhaps we pay for a big flower basket, free weekend boat rental too?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Sorry Soupy, I disagree. What I'm getting at is Penticton is supposed to be a tourist mecca , at least according to some. Yet it doesn't seem to matter if it's city hall, ED, Chamber, DPA they simply cannot think out of the box. Yea it's a nice little warm and fuzzy package I suppose but come on it could have been so much more with little or no cost. I'm not saying take them for lunch, what I am saying is don't cheap out. This package is a reflection of Penticton - an opportunity to shine a light on what makes it so great. An opportunity to offer advertising to retailers in exchange for something as simple as a two for one special, a 25% off coupon, etc. etc. What about the wineries? Are they included in anyway? Loco Landing? For the numbers they are talking they could have even included two complimentary tickets to Elvisfest, Pentastic Jazz Festival, Vee's games, A complimentary day of skiing at Apex. Two passes to the raceway. A couple bike rentals to include with that beautiful lake to lake bike lane map. You want to welcome these people? Get them out into the community participating. My opinion ... there is so much more they could have done. I would be very interested in seeing how many new residents we are talking. Hopefully the city can share that information.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

When i moved here in 2017 i didnt get anything.

So i think this is an improvement :up: :130:
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Don't cheap out he says. Followed by "why are those morons raising property taxes again"?

WW has a model that works because the business owners are footing the bill/cost of running the program. Lake Country has a WW as well, my wife contacted them. Honestly, I was a little disappointed. I expected it to be ran by some community volunteers who were legitimately interested in us and wanted to welcome us to the community. I quickly realized it was all a big paid advertisement and they were interested in our business, not us. Still a neat service, and we didn't regret it or anything - just not what I was expecting.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Sorry Tyler not sure if "he" you are talking about is "me". Not sure where you are getting "why are those idiots raising property taxes again?" Must have me confused with someone else. What I'm saying is this welcome package could have been so much more which in the end as you have said ... reflects on the community.

Soupy you deserve a welcome package .. call Vass and tell him to add your name .. all good :130:
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Southy, if you keep this rant on Council for essentially every single meeting agenda item, you will find yourself on meds you would rather not take. Chill a bit. Civic politics are as frustrating as coming up with the right answer to the wrong question.
And try to refrain from using the abbreviated "ED" without context. Some younger posters are wondering what a pee pee failure to salute has to do with the conversation. :130:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Thanks Twobits. You are absolutely correct. I just can't get my head around some of the decisions made in the big white building. Meds just might be the answer and sorry ... not for ED :) :130:
maggiedoon
Fledgling

Post by maggiedoon »

I think this is a good initiative too. Give new residents an info package and they’ve got a starting point for exploring their new community.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

The info package should be honest.
Criminals will be let out of jail after breaking bail conditions with more conditions. :135:
City Hall is a :cuss: show. :-X
Spandex brains only, intelligent people need not come. :D
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Unless the province and municipalities start attracting businesses and fix the housing problem, this appears to be geared more toward seniors. "Welcome" pamphlets won't help.

Return to “South Okanagan”