E-bikes for City of Penticton

spooker

Re: E-bikes for City of Penticton

Post by spooker »

nepal wrote: Apr 13th, 2022, 9:47 pm .
Good to see some other options. I just think the City is being taken for a ride, at 25k for only four ebikes! :smt045
You get what you pay for ...
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 14th, 2022, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
spooker

Post by spooker »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 14th, 2022, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

spooker wrote: Apr 14th, 2022, 5:15 am

You get what you pay for ...
You sound like the marketing department for a US Military weapons supplier. Ya, those guys that pay 5k for a porcelain toilet.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

For so many people, electric bikes are a luxury and far out of their reach. What message the City of Penticton is sending to them? They want to promote the green stuff? How about dropping property taxes for a year, so everyone could buy one of these?
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

BC Landlord wrote: Apr 25th, 2022, 11:33 pm For so many people, electric bikes are a luxury and far out of their reach. What message the City of Penticton is sending to them? They want to promote the green stuff? How about dropping property taxes for a year, so everyone could buy one of these?
You are right. We should have the city get rid of backhoes next, make them do all their repairs with old fashion shovels.

These will be great for transportation and accessing trails throughout the summer. Much needed.
Last edited by soupy on Apr 26th, 2022, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I personally wouldn't touch an E-bike yet. Too pricey for a good quality one, recent stories regarding dangerous fires caused by lithium-ion chargers/batteries and the most important factor is that its just not safe to leave any expensive bike parked (locked or not) in Penticton and many other cities due to rampant bike theft. Until that is under control, I wouldn't leave even my cheap bike parked anywhere out of eye sight.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

XT225 wrote: Apr 26th, 2022, 8:28 am I personally wouldn't touch an E-bike yet. Too pricey for a good quality one, recent stories regarding dangerous fires caused by lithium-ion chargers/batteries and the most important factor is that its just not safe to leave any expensive bike parked (locked or not) in Penticton and many other cities due to rampant bike theft. Until that is under control, I wouldn't leave even my cheap bike parked anywhere out of eye sight.
In the case of ebikes, price doesn’t necessarily equate to quality. Some popular new items get overpriced until they become more mainstream. Some bike suppliers have been gouging prices. I know people who are very happy with their $800 Walmart Ebike, they’ve used it almost everyday in the past two years and no issues. The minor downside with the $800 Ebike is that it has rim brakes and and very basic digital display, also that you are on your own to do adjustments, which are easy if you’re handy. I laughed one time when a bike shop thought the Walmart bike was worth $3000 and that it should have a better lock. A good thing about a low cost Ebike is that if it gets stolen then it’s not a big loss. I have no issues buying a big box-store Ebike, although I’d rather buy at the bike shop if the prices weren’t ridiculous.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

nepal wrote: Apr 27th, 2022, 7:22 am
XT225 wrote: Apr 26th, 2022, 8:28 am I personally wouldn't touch an E-bike yet. Too pricey for a good quality one, recent stories regarding dangerous fires caused by lithium-ion chargers/batteries and the most important factor is that its just not safe to leave any expensive bike parked (locked or not) in Penticton and many other cities due to rampant bike theft. Until that is under control, I wouldn't leave even my cheap bike parked anywhere out of eye sight.
In the case of ebikes, price doesn’t necessarily equate to quality. Some popular new items get overpriced until they become more mainstream. Some bike suppliers have been gouging prices. I know people who are very happy with their $800 Walmart Ebike, they’ve used it almost everyday in the past two years and no issues. The minor downside with the $800 Ebike is that it has rim brakes and and very basic digital display, also that you are on your own to do adjustments, which are easy if you’re handy. I laughed one time when a bike shop thought the Walmart bike was worth $3000 and that it should have a better lock. A good thing about a low cost Ebike is that if it gets stolen then it’s not a big loss. I have no issues buying a big box-store Ebike, although I’d rather buy at the bike shop if the prices weren’t ridiculous.
Some valid points you made; however I doubt anyone would be happy having even their $800.00 E-bike stolen. E-bike or any bike, the problem of how to safely leave your bike parked ANYwhere needs to be solved before more people will use them, shop downtown, etc etc. There really is no point in locking your frame, if the culprits will just remove your wheels, seat, battery, etc. Not too many people want to carry more than one lock per bike.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

XT225 wrote: Apr 27th, 2022, 7:59 am
Some valid points you made; however I doubt anyone would be happy having even their $800.00 E-bike stolen. E-bike or any bike, the problem of how to safely leave your bike parked ANYwhere needs to be solved before more people will use them, shop downtown, etc etc. There really is no point in locking your frame, if the culprits will just remove your wheels, seat, battery, etc. Not too many people want to carry more than one lock per bike.
*removed*
A lot of people use bikes, and a lot will again this summer.
Use the bike check at the market, its great.
Last edited by ferri on Apr 27th, 2022, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting

Return to “South Okanagan”