New faces on council

seewood
Guru

New faces on council

Post by seewood »

A certain contributor to a local paper will be spitting her tea out this morning. Bloomfield will be the mayor for the next 4 years. Wonder if he'll be wanting subsidized solar power projects similar to Summerlands?
He has so many orher pressing issues to deal with first wirh limited powers.
New faces on council as well. More or fewer bike lanes in the future?
I see Jason Cox never got in as a director in Naramata, good thing, seems to like being in the limelight.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: New faces on council

Post by dreamon »

I have optimism for Penticton with Bloomers at the helm, some experience at the table and new blood.

Bloomers vast real estate experience is an asset when it comes to housing. Density, density, density.
The naysayers who speak of conflict need to realise that it is only a conflict if the developer or home owner applying for rezoning or a variance is a client of his.
His green agenda is NOT a bad thing, as long as done in a fiscally prudent manner. Bloomers is fiscally prudent.

Reynen's close 2nd place finish sends a strong and clear message that crime is top of the list for many people and needs to be dealt with, but how?
Had Reynen broadened his campaign a little, he would have won.

Council had a great balance between council experience (Konanz & Watt, Miller to a lesser degree) and fresh blood from different walks of life (queue Dire Straits).

Vasser was sent a clear message.

Jason Cox might now realise that he is irrelevant having garnered 45 votes or 7.39% of the vote.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

I hope your optimism is rewarded.

Of all the reasons people gave for choosing Bloomfield over Reynen or Vassilaki, not one I've heard from said "because Bloomfield is more willing to cooperate with the provincial government".

My concern is that Bloomfield will roll over for the provincial government instead of standing up FOR the people of Penticton.

What clear message do you think was sent to Vassilaki?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Horrible result. Eco terrorist in the mayors seat and a new one on council. Expect more eco nut ideas from them.

Solar powered wind farms. Treadmills on the bike lanes to generate clean energy. Lawsuits galore from people tripping over the thousands of car charging cords all over the city. Birds killed by the millions as they fry on rooftop solar panels that become mandatory. Massive stench filling the valley as all are required to have compost piles in their yards. :biggrin:

My excessive hyperbole aside... at least Vas is gone and it wasn't a blowout for Eco Bloom. However if you live in a nice residential neighborhood with lots of trees and houses...your life is going to change. The sun will soon be blocked most of the day as the next towering AirBnB, oops I mean affordable housing project, comes to your backyard.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

rustled wrote: Oct 16th, 2022, 9:18 am What clear message do you think was sent to Vassilaki?
I think people were getting a little leery about his “blunt force” approach to issues, which was reinforced by his family squabbles. That and he appeared to struggle for words more and more as time went on. He had a definite past-his-prime aura about him. Bloomfield offered a calmer, more diplomatic approach, with some awareness of social and environmental issues that had been conspicuously absent with past councils.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

fluffy wrote: Oct 22nd, 2022, 6:48 am
rustled wrote: Oct 16th, 2022, 9:18 am What clear message do you think was sent to Vassilaki?
I think people were getting a little leery about his “blunt force” approach to issues, which was reinforced by his family squabbles. That and he appeared to struggle for words more and more as time went on. He had a definite past-his-prime aura about him. Bloomfield offered a calmer, more diplomatic approach, with some awareness of social and environmental issues that had been conspicuously absent with past councils.
Yikes. Sounds like Penticton's out of the frying pan, into the fire!

Well, I hope the clear message to Bloomfield was that the majority of people in Penticton who bothered to vote actually wanted someone else. Apparently the majority of the people who bothered to vote do NOT agree with council bending a knee to the province (i.e. the more "diplomatic" approach demanded by Eby), and that majority wasn't hoping council would spending MORE of our money on trendy causes (like "environmental issues").

We'll see how it all pans out.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

rustled wrote: Oct 22nd, 2022, 7:28 am
Well, I hope the clear message to Bloomfield was that the majority of people in Penticton who bothered to vote actually wanted someone else.
Very good point; the majority of Pentictonites did not endorse Bloomfield. That should send a message to him that he had better listen to the wants/needs of us taxpayers. I am concerned that his being a "Greeny" he might try to ram the rest of the bike lane fiasco down our throats without further public input (and NOT believe that idiotic farce called "Shape Your City").
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Well this time they won't be able to force things through without demonstrations. They did a great job ramrodding down our throats this pile of garbage bike lane when we could not organize in groups. Go ahead Bloom Boy try it now.
Also I find him very arrogant. Probably just me but I never liked him, at all.
Bloomer barely beat out Jason. Never in politics and almost pulled off a Ralph Klein.
As for Vaz, the age was showing. I know about aging parents and what they think they can do and what they really can do.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

“..the majority of Pentictonites did not endorse Bloomfield.”

That is such a bonehead argument, it says nothing for the individual candidates and their platforms. The point is that more people endorsed Bloomfield than any other candidate.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

fluffy wrote: Oct 22nd, 2022, 4:38 pm “..the majority of Pentictonites did not endorse Bloomfield.”

That is such a bonehead argument, it says nothing for the individual candidates and their platforms. The point is that more people endorsed Bloomfield than any other candidate.
He barely won.

Ignoring how he was almost beaten by a newby, AND ignoring how nearly 2/3 of the people who voted for mayor preferred someone else, is one thing.

IMO, arguing that others should ignore it too would be a "bonehead argument".

Looking at these results, it's entirely possible using a single transferable vote would have elected someone else mayor. We'll never know, and neither will Bloomfield. He doesn't have much of a mandate, and had better pay attention instead of assuming a majority of folk here want what he was pitching.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I’m sure the slim margin of victory is not lost on him, but he did win so the show is his for the next four years. In a town (or country for that matter) as deeply divided as ours trying to please everyone is a fool’s errand. If he’s smart he’ll find an adequate mix.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

fluffy wrote: Oct 22nd, 2022, 5:29 pm I’m sure the slim margin of victory is not lost on him, but he did win so the show is his for the next four years.
That's quite the way to look at things. He certainly wasn't granted a dictatorship. Not even what most people would call a mandate.
fluffy wrote: In a town (or country for that matter) as deeply divided as ours trying to please everyone is a fool’s errand. If he’s smart he’ll find an adequate mix.
It's not up to him (or any other mayor) to try to please everyone.

It's up to him to strengthen Penticton's economy.

A stronger economy is the ONLY way we can collectively afford to take better care of our community.

Plenty of voters understand wasting our money and resources on fluffy, tummy-warming greenflated projects won't actually help anyone - or the environment - and often makes our lives more difficult.

If he's smart, he understands "adequate" isn't good enough.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

rustled wrote: Oct 22nd, 2022, 7:32 pm A stronger economy is the ONLY way we can collectively afford to take better care of our community.
I’m hoping his vision is wide enough to see that a stronger economy is but one part of a healthy, thriving community.
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

His vision is wide enough to see that a stronger economy is the foundation of which a healthy, thriving community is built upon.
You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

I hear you regarding the economy, however one might ask: what economy?
Penticton has very limited , next to none actually, industrial property to offer any new industrial business to move here. Industry is a property tax multiplier so residential properties are not burdened with high property taxes.
I'm not sure of the actual numbers but I suspect the number one employment opportunity in Penticton is in fact government employment. Federal tax department, provincial health and education and City of Penticton employment.
How does Penticton entice large employers to set up shop? The large ex ATCO building across with a revolving door of employers is a case in point.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Return to “South Okanagan”