Hockey Fight

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Hockey Fight

Post by Anonymous123 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ublic-rink

Let’s keep in mind that the privately funded rink was designed for skating. If they don’t want hockey, then take down the boards and netting around the exterior. When you enclose a rink it gives the appearance of a Hockey Rink, not a Skating Rink.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Hockey Fight

Post by YzzzR1 »

And not to mention the red center line and blue lines.

You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

So, if a charity builds an ice surface that it is allowing hockey to be played during certain times of the day, and to that end, they have a red centre line and blue lines on the ice, they are not allowed to prohibit hockey at any time ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

I am a huge hockey fan, and still play recreational hockey.

I find it completely unfortunate this has become such a huge issue.
IMO, the hockey should have been nixed from the get go, as the purpose was for family skating.
The boards and painting is a great touch, and I believe was intended for some exhibition type hockey celebrations with the Vees team.
If, and only if, there are designed times as well as active enforced rules, I do not think it is suitable for hockey unfortunately.

As I said, growing up playing hockey, I remember being on ODRs (full rink size) when young and it turned into absolute chaos.

There is a time and place for shinny hockey, and if their times are now 6-8pm twice a week. That should be it, problem solved.
65deluxe
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 65deluxe »

Since the city is so eager to spend taxpayers money, just build another rink. Problem solved. :130:
"The most powerful governments in the world can't solve homelessness.
But they can change the earths temperature if you pay more taxes."
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

YzzzR1 wrote: Jan 6th, 2023, 2:30 pm And not to mention the red center line and blue lines.

Lots of people who attend public skating are Not good skaters. They often stay close to the boards or even hang onto them.
The lines on the ice, while primarily placed for hockey, also provide a means of estimating distance. People use them as a target for learning new skills, one foot glide, for example.
When the rink was designed, and the materials ordered, it could be that the enclosed areas were included.
If the people who sponsor/own the rink don't want hockey, that is entirely up to them.

I have found that people playing hockey at public skating rinks are rude and inconsiderate. They don't care if there are weak or poor skaters there, small children, or others. I have been hit with sticks and balls by people playing while I was just trying to get in a nice skate. I have been run into by people playing hockey as they are not concerned with anything but their own game. I have tripped on deep ruts in the ice from people playing hockey. As public arenas are not constantly maintained with flooding and resurfacing, this causes injury dangers.

I am a former figure skater and very good on my feet. I would love a rink that was was only for recreational skating.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

gardengirl wrote: Jan 7th, 2023, 9:30 am
YzzzR1 wrote: Jan 6th, 2023, 2:30 pm And not to mention the red center line and blue lines.

Lots of people who attend public skating are Not good skaters. They often stay close to the boards or even hang onto them.
The lines on the ice, while primarily placed for hockey, also provide a means of estimating distance. People use them as a target for learning new skills, one foot glide, for example.
When the rink was designed, and the materials ordered, it could be that the enclosed areas were included.
If the people who sponsor/own the rink don't want hockey, that is entirely up to them.

I have found that people playing hockey at public skating rinks are rude and inconsiderate. They don't care if there are weak or poor skaters there, small children, or others. I have been hit with sticks and balls by people playing while I was just trying to get in a nice skate. I have been run into by people playing hockey as they are not concerned with anything but their own game. I have tripped on deep ruts in the ice from people playing hockey. As public arenas are not constantly maintained with flooding and resurfacing, this causes injury dangers.

I am a former figure skater and very good on my feet. I would love a rink that was was only for recreational skating.
Very good comments; I agree with you completely. In order to become a hockey player (or figure skater) you first have to learn how to skate and in my opinion, Penticton gets a failing grade in having enough ice time for either. I believe that McLaren arena is only open for public skating on the weekends in Winter; yet we have 3 other rinks that we own. Something doesn't make sense.

Are we as taxpayers funding the hockey school and other hockey events? I cannot recall the last time that there was skating allowed in even Memorial arena and most of us have NEVER skated in the SOEC (oh, they have the odd event where the public can skate there briefly WITH the Vees). I haven't yet skated in the new downtown rink; there are still some growing pains there such as no benches to sit on, no place to put your street shoes. Hopefully things will get sorted out re hockey allowances and public skating, but as I said, Penticton is sadly lacking in ice time for those want to learn, without the risk of injuries from pucks and sticks.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Doesn't matter what you do, someone or some group will come along and essentially ruin it for everyone. It looks like a nice piece of ice making it understandable why people are attracted to it but regardless of the lines, this should be for basic skating and enjoyment.

Someone mentioned maybe build another one for use as a hockey rink. That should work.

And for those who vandalize the washrooms, thanks very much for your consideration.

Why is it necessary to destroy what is clearly a benefit for everyone?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

gardengirl wrote: Jan 7th, 2023, 9:30 am

I get that. What they need to do is change the type of railing around the outside to allow pucks to leave the rink. A few times doing that will wear thin in a hurry.
m20
Fledgling

Post by m20 »

65deluxe wrote: Jan 6th, 2023, 8:18 pm Since the city is so eager to spend taxpayers money, just build another rink. Problem solved. :130:
Was not built nor is it operated by the city.
65deluxe
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 65deluxe »

m20 wrote: Jan 7th, 2023, 12:22 pm
65deluxe wrote: Jan 6th, 2023, 8:18 pm Since the city is so eager to spend taxpayers money, just build another rink. Problem solved. :130:
Was not built nor is it operated by the city.
Never said it was [icon_lol2.gif]
"The most powerful governments in the world can't solve homelessness.
But they can change the earths temperature if you pay more taxes."
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Stuart Park rink in Kelowna has no problems, but pretty sure hockey isn't allowed on it either. It is purely a pleasure skating rink.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Tony wrote: Jan 19th, 2023, 7:13 am Stuart Park rink in Kelowna has no problems, but pretty sure hockey isn't allowed on it either. It is purely a pleasure skating rink.
Hockey is not allowed there, no problems.
People of Penticton just tend to whine much more.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

I see some of the meat heads still don’t get it.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... king-rules
It’s really quite simple, get rid of the “boards” surrounding the rink and they’ll get tired of chasing the puck all over the park.
I know, I sound like a broken record but it needs saying again.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Anonymous123 wrote: Dec 20th, 2023, 4:00 pm I see some of the meat heads still don’t get it.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... king-rules
It’s really quite simple, get rid of the “boards” surrounding the rink and they’ll get tired of chasing the puck all over the park.
I know, I sound like a broken record but it needs saying again.
Yes, getting rid of the boards would do it, however that ruins it for those who enjoy playing hockey there (as allowed) in the mornings. Its City Land and I see no reason why the Volunteer folks that run the rink couldn't just call the Bylaw Dept and they could deal with these types who won't abide by the rules.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”