Fort McMurray obliterated

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Fort McMurray obliterated

Post by Dizzy1 »

Took this picture when we arrived at one of the Executive Terminal's in Edmonton this afternoon ...

... thats just part of it. Tim Hortons coffee and donuts, McDonald's cheeseburgers, pizza, sandwiches, cookies, muffins, fruit, pudding, granola bars, juice, milk, water, toiletries, clothes, diapers, baby formula, pet food, strollers, blankets, pillows - you name it they had - all for the taking to those who need it the most given to them by the never ending generosity of their Canadian family :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
tylerdaniels
Fledgling

Post by tylerdaniels »

Chilliwack sent off four semi's of donations today! Good for them. :)

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/big-rigs-big-heart ... -1.2891783
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I've got 9 days booked off beginning May Long weekend and no plans so far. I'm not sure what the requirements would be a few weeks from now, or what an individual could realistically do to help in this situation, but I'm thinking about looking into ways to possibly help out there. I've got several friends/former coworkers headed out from Ontario to help on the fire management side right now.

There's another girl I used to work with living in Saskatchewan. We worked together for several years in Ontario. Last summer then government actually allowed for any qualified firefighter, regardless of their current job, to go out and assist with the wildfires. You were continued to be paid at your current salary and your leave didn't affect your PTO. I wonder if that'll extend to other provinces since it was Sask that was hit pretty hard last summer.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

When the crap really hits the fan and people need help, Canadians don't muck around.
Your bias suits you.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

wow Gixxer, such devastating pictures...it always amazes me how interface fires can burn everything but leave one or two houses standing ??

question...so if your house is one of the ones left standing, would you get to rebuild from scratch like those who's homes burnt down to the ground ???
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Fire is now at 154,000 hectares.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Fort McMurray wildfire could double in size: fire officials

The fire situation in Fort McMurray area remains “unpredictable and dangerous,” Federal Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said. The fire has grown overnight to 1,560 square kilometres.

< snip> Speaking at a news conference in Regina on Saturday morning, Goodale also said the convoy moving people who have been taking shelter at oilsands work camps north of Fort McMurray would continue.

He said about 7,500 people were moved through Fort McMurray to the south on Friday and it was hoped the same number could be transported out of harms way on Saturday.

The exodus of the last evacuees remaining in the area comes as fire officials predict the area destroyed and being burned by the sprawling fire could double this weekend. <snip>

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... again.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Calling for snow in the Mac Thursday
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

A photo from Fort McMurray that shows exhausted firefighters taking their first break in 30 hours has gone viral online.

Posted on Twitter by the Strathcona County fire department, the photo shows seven firefighters resting on the grass, the nearby houses seemingly safe from the wildfire currently ravaging other parts of the city.

"I think that was about 30 hours after leaving here ... kind of the first chance they had to catch a break since they got out there," said Devin Capcara, deputy chief of operations with Strathcona County Emergency Services.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.3568037
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

"The wildfire will cover more than 200,000 hectares by midnight and will continue to grow."

http://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=4 ... 99FF0DE4CF
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

The heat detection maps show it actually didn't grow much today.
Attachments
May 7th map.jpg
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

The fire is quite active right now despite the cooler temperatures and small amounts of rain in some areas. High winds are likely the reason for the activity.
Attachments
May 8th map.jpg

Return to “Fire Watch 2016”