Fort McMurray obliterated

Frisk
Guru

Re: Fort McMurray obliterated

Post by Frisk »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-165882-4-.htm#165882

About 4,000 workers from camps north of Fort McMurray are being ordered to evacuate because of an approaching wildfire.
mtn living

Post by mtn living »

Caught this shorty after 5 pm today.
Attachments
CYMM_SE-full-e.jpeg
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

It grew quite a bit today.
Attachments
Map.jpg
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Most of the workers at Suncor Main and Syncrude Mildred Lake were bused to camps farther north. Last I heard was that they may be moving people out as far north as Barge Landing Lodge which is just north of Fort MacKay but on the other side of the river. It is just a precautionary evacuation and mostly due to the heavy smoke they've been having today.

A friend who's been evacuated sent this picture to me earlier today, it was taken at 330pm this afternoon ...

Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

That's scary looking.

I never realized how large the oil field operations are. I was looking up those places you mentioned on google earth and I just got lost looking at all buildings and equipment. The operations south of Fort Mackay should act as a fire guard if it does make it that far, but I couldn't imagine how awful the air quality is from the smoke.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Quailize wrote:That's scary looking.

I never realized how large the oil field operations are. I was looking up those places you mentioned on google earth and I just got lost looking at all buildings and equipment. The operations south of Fort Mackay should act as a fire guard if it does make it that far, but I couldn't imagine how awful the air quality is from the smoke.

The area I work in which is by Fort MacKay consists of CNRL Horizon, Shell Albian, Syncrude Aurora, Suncor Fort Hills, Suncor Firebag, Husky Sunrise and Imperial Kearl with a couple of projects such as Imperial Aspen and Cenovus (?) Telephone Lake. The camps for those sites have accommodations for a good 20 000 workers.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Are you there right now?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Quailize wrote:Are you there right now?

No, I got pulled out last week already - technically, I could do my job from home but I hate doing chores ;)

I'm on my usual week off right now, I am anticipating going back next week. Just helping out a bit via conference calls and such which is great because I can do it while I'm travelling such as I am right now.

Just to give you a better idea of how the area is structured, I found this ...

... keep in mind, some of those haven't been developed as of yet.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

If the winds, speed and direction keep, the fire could reach the boarders of Suncor Base Plant (Main) in the next 9 hours or so. The good news is that once it reaches the boarders, theres not much if anything to burn and I know that they've been working around the clock over the last week to widen the area by removing trees.

If you look at the map above, follow Hwy 63 north of Ft McMurray to the pink Suncor area - the part right on the highway is Suncor Main. To the east of that is Suncor Lewis Lake and Firebag even though it shows it all as one property on the map.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Must be quite a bit of oil there! ;)

Just looking at Google Earth again, I realized there's a bunch of big lodges and a campground before the oil operations. Blacksand, Noralta, Lewyk and a few others. I'm guessing this is were the evacuations are taking place?
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Dizzy1 wrote:If the winds, speed and direction keep, the fire could reach the boarders of Suncor Base Plant (Main) in the next 9 hours or so. The good news is that once it reaches the boarders, theres not much if anything to burn and I know that they've been working around the clock over the last week to widen the area by removing trees.

If you look at the map above, follow Hwy 63 north of Ft McMurray to the pink Suncor area - the part right on the highway is Suncor Main. To the east of that is Suncor Lewis Lake and Firebag even though it shows it all as one property on the map.

This trend is what I feared when the fires first started in Fort Mac. There could be a huge environmental fallout from all of this if the fire reaches the tar sands, or even an area where there is chemical processing and such. If that is the case pretty sure the PM will be there sooner rather than later........

I'm glad to hear they are removing trees to create a border.

I heard it was 38 degrees there yesterday, is that true? That is incredible for this time of year if it is.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Blacksands Lodge.
Last edited by fluffy on May 17th, 2016, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Alberta officials are taking a second look at their plan to allow people to return home to Fort McMurray after a raging wildfire spread north toward oilsands plants.

The fire overnight destroyed a 665-room workcamp north of the city and two other camps are threatened by the flames.

Two explosions in the city damaged 10 homes and poor air quality forced staff working to clean the hospital and natural gas utility workers to leave.

Premier Rachel Notley says the focus of firefighting efforts would be protecting oilsands plants north of Fort McMurray.

The wildfire has grown to about 3,550 square kilometres.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#165941
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Quailize wrote:Must be quite a bit of oil there! ;)

Just looking at Google Earth again, I realized there's a bunch of big lodges and a campground before the oil operations. Blacksand, Noralta, Lewyk and a few others. I'm guessing this is were the evacuations are taking place?

Yes, those are lodges that were evacuated. I do believe that both the Suncor and Syncrude sites were also evacuated due to the heavy smoke. While the sites themselves are very well protected from the fire, some off site lodges not so much. Barge, Creeburn, Greywolf, Oilsands, Sierra Select, Lewis Lake, Wapasu and Henday are all lodges I can think of off hand that are in the middle of forests.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Edmonton Journal is reporting 1 camp facility has been destroyed.

Return to “Fire Watch 2016”