General Discussion

Frisk
Guru

Re: General Discussion

Post by Frisk »

July 6th, 2015 compared with July 6th, 2016.
Attachments
July 6th, 2015.png
July 6th, 2016.png
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

BC Government saves millions in unused forest fire fighting budget.....
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The forest fire budget has already been used up, but I agree, they are saving millions.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I was thinking today about how fragile things are. I spend a great deal of time in the wilderness. Most of the time it's just damn cold. This year... Even colder. Not extremes, just generally colder. It makes me realize that notwithstanding global warming, we really are never that far away from another ice age. Or at least like the little ice age event of the 1800s. Seems we exist in a very narrow band of pleasant, convenient climate
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Time Lapse: Roaring Lion Fire, Bitterroot National Forest, Montana

this video is scary.

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It sure is!
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

my aunt works for the US Forest Service in the Bitterroot Valley, last i heard there had been 15 homes lost and 500 evacuated. these are all "high end" homes too.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

A new article on the fire that occurred in Joe Rich last summer.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2871908/report-says-carbon-from-transport-truck-likely-caused-2015-joe-rich-wildfire/

“The relative humidity at the time of ignition was above the threshold for cigarette ignitions. Therefore, a discarded cigarette could not have caused wildfire K50261,” the government report said.

“The location of the ignition area would require a higher trajectory point and suggests that exhaust carbon from a passing transport truck is the most probable cause of wildfire K50261,” the report said.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I have heard of the exhaust from equipment left idling or being operated under or near "brown" evergreens starting a fire but until now I have never heard of trucks passing by on the highway causing forest fires.

I have seen "sparks" flying from such exhausts at night though. Especially with an older diesel vehicle after prolonged engine retardation on a long downhill stretch of road.

Interesting conclusion.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

It turns out there is not cause for concern from the smoke emanating from the Fintry area.

BC Wildfire Management official Rachel Witt said crews are conducting a 'burn trial.'

Witt said a burn trial is a process used periodically to determine the fuel conditions of the forest floor.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

you know some idiot tossed a cigarette - the pic on global its right next to the road - halfway between first and second look out
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

gman313 wrote:you know some idiot tossed a cigarette - the pic on global its right next to the road - halfway between first and second look out

could also be caused from the brakes of someones vehicle riding your brakes down a hill builds a lot of heat and small metal pieces in the pads are constantly coming off
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have seen several idiots driving along flicking their ashes and cigarettes out the window!
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!

Return to “Fire Watch 2016”