B.C. Political Ads

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
BeingHuman
Board Meister
Posts: 685
Joined: Apr 11th, 2017, 9:18 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by BeingHuman »

Urbane wrote:
    mr.bandaid wrote:And me, I will ponder whether I want to live here in retirement.

It's human nature to think that the grass is greener elsewhere. Personally, I think we live in the best country in the world, the best province in that country, and the best area within that province. We've lived here the better part of four decades and there is nowhere else we would want to live. Regardless of who wins the election next Tuesday we will be governed better than most jurisdictions in the world so that's something else to keep in mind. There's my "political ad."


Actually BC is great, if you want to ignore all that other unimportant stuff like; the fact that our BC Liberal government managed to match, in just 16 years, the total amount of debt our province accumulated over 130 years; the fact that under the BC Liberal government our province is the worst place for a child to live in Canada; draconian child labour laws that see children as young as 12 years old slaving away for minimum wages, where 43 per cent of youth workers have reported injuries on the job, including a 12 year old who sustained burns all down the front of his body from battery acid. A handful of children now on permanent disability. WorkSafe paying out $1.1 million in disability claims to children. A high number of children dropping out of school due to work schedules. If you ignore the fact that our province has the highest child poverty rate in the country! Don’t think about our province having children in government care deaths jumping from 72 in 2008 to 120 last year, with critical injuries skyrocketing from 120 to 741.

Yes our province is great if you ignore the fact that, the Forest Practices Board confirms, our government has no idea what resources our province has, or how to manage them. Turn a blind eye to the fact that our government has mismanaged the mining industry to the point where BC has the worst unsecured environmental liability for mine site clean-up costs in Canada. Overlook the fact that BC have the longest wait times in Canada for MRI image testing. What housing crisis? What Fentanyl overdose crisis? Yup… BC is the best place on earth! All you need is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaSd2d5rwPE
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22720
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by Urbane »

^^ Be they real problems, embellished problems, or imaginary problems, there will always be problems. While we should never be totally satisfied, and we should always be looking to improve, we should also be thankful for what we have. What we have is truly amazing.
BeingHuman
Board Meister
Posts: 685
Joined: Apr 11th, 2017, 9:18 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by BeingHuman »

You're right Urbane, if we compare ourselves to third world countries like BC Liberal Housing Minister Rich Coleman does, we (BC) look outstanding! :up:
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7601
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by Urban Cowboy »

BH your cherry picked, drama inspiring statistics, aren't even worth responding to anymore, as we've shown you to be misrepresenting the lion's share of what you fixate on.

*removed* but you have forgotten that 99% of people know how to use google, and with the tiniest amount of effort, we can show that we actually have some of the best statistics in Canada here in BC, for many of the categories you keep regurgitating.

Worst case scenario we can prove that you've taken something completely out of context, to promote your alternate reality of NDP utopia.
Last edited by ferri on May 5th, 2017, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 61919
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by The Green Barbarian »

mr.bandaid wrote:And me, I will ponder whether I want to live here in retirement.


If the horrible disgusting NDP win, I could see your point.
Epistemic insouciance is a casual lack of concern about the facts or an indifference to whether one's statements have any basis in reality. From now on the Liberal Party of Canada will be known as the "Epistemic Insouciance Party of Canada".
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 23076
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by fluffy »

flamingfingers wrote:You obviously haven't been watching or listening to any of the Horgan interviews that have been happening with Jon McComb, CBC or looking at Tweets.. you should really expand your horizons beyond TV fluffy.


I was out driving about for maybe twenty minutes running errands and listening to the radio. I bet I listened to a dozen NDP attack ads, sometimes running two or three in a row. Not a single comment on the NDP platform, not one. I don't know about you, but to me this speaks volumes about the character of the NDP candidate.
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.
rustled
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14717
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by rustled »

fluffy wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:You obviously haven't been watching or listening to any of the Horgan interviews that have been happening with Jon McComb, CBC or looking at Tweets.. you should really expand your horizons beyond TV fluffy.


I was out driving about for maybe twenty minutes running errands and listening to the radio. I bet I listened to a dozen NDP attack ads, sometimes running two or three in a row. Not a single comment on the NDP platform, not one. I don't know about you, but to me this speaks volumes about the character of the NDP candidate.

I had a similar experience, fluffy. They sounded exactly the same as the ads from last election. The maudlin tone, the melodrama. (Think of the children!)

The election is days away and they still can't tell me why I should vote for them.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 23076
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by fluffy »

rustled wrote:The election is days away and they still can't tell me why I should vote for them.


Exactly. And the closer we get, the more people realize that being angry just isn't enough. Clark's relentless harping on "jobs, jobs, jobs" is winning out over "Let's get her!" because in the end the electorate just wants to keep working. At the end of the day she's a craftier politician than Horgan.
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.
User avatar
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10477
Joined: Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:48 am

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by Hurtlander »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 5th, 2017, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to unreported personal attack.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3061
Joined: Feb 16th, 2008, 8:12 am

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by gordon_as »

fluffy wrote:
I was out driving about for maybe twenty minutes running errands and listening to the radio. I bet I listened to a dozen NDP attack ads, sometimes running two or three in a row. Not a single comment on the NDP platform, not one. I don't know about you, but to me this speaks volumes about the character of the NDP candidate.



I'm not sure if the parties have targeted their adds to specific ridings , or if you are only hearing what you want to hear.
In Vernon yesterday , It was the Liberal attack adds playing all day , about every 1/2 hour. They made no mention of their platform either , simply reminding people that the NDP is the Boogyman.
One guy I work with supports the Liberals , and even he admitted to being put off by the content and frequency of the adds.

I guess then , that you and I can agree on one thing. Hopefully the big money spent on attack adds backfires on the party presenting them.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3061
Joined: Feb 16th, 2008, 8:12 am

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by gordon_as »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 5th, 2017, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to removed post
BeingHuman
Board Meister
Posts: 685
Joined: Apr 11th, 2017, 9:18 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by BeingHuman »

Yes, I am looking forward to May 9th, no more BC Liberal US style political ads that promoting hate, fear, and division. I get a real kick out of their "fear" and "doubt" ads directed at the NDP. It's the BC Liberal's Stockholm Syndrome approach holding BC hostage for 16 years, and actually trying to convince us they are the good guys.

BC Liberals, in it for themselves, and their corporate friends, not in it for the rest of us!
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
User avatar
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10477
Joined: Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:48 am

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by Hurtlander »

gordon_as wrote:I'm not sure if the parties have targeted their adds to specific ridings , or if you are only hearing what you want to hear.
In Vernon yesterday , It was the Liberal attack adds playing all day , about every 1/2 hour. They made no mention of their platform either , simply reminding people that the NDP is the Boogyman.
One guy I work with supports the Liberals , and even he admitted to being put off by the content and frequency of the adds.

I guess then , that you and I can agree on one thing. Hopefully the big money spent on attack adds backfires on the party presenting them.

I tend to agree that the attack ads are targeting specific ridings... I live in a traditional swing riding, I'm hearing 50/ 50 anti NDP, anti-Lib ads in my region. The Okanagon region is guaranteed to go Liberal, it would be a waste of money to have anti NDP ads in that area.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7601
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by Urban Cowboy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 5th, 2017, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to removed post
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
User avatar
Hassel99
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3815
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2012, 9:31 am

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by Hassel99 »

Its so weird that this election feels like the continuation of 2013, not a new election.

Not great for the people of BC.


Its even weirder that one of the parties think doing the same thing in 2013 will end up in with a different result.
It makes sense for the party that won to stay the course. It makes sense for the Greens to step up like they have, but the Same old NDP just do not understand.

This was their destiny when they realized no one wanted to be leader. No new blood, no new ideas. John did not get his position via votes, he was acclaimed because no one else wanted to do it.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”