B.C. Political Ads

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
User avatar
Merry
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 13867
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:41 am

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by Merry »

The fact is that, even though his remarks were repeated out of context, Horgan should have known better than to say what he did. Because seasoned politicians like him are well aware of how opposing Parties will use small "sound bites" to make their opponents "look bad". So, while I disagree with the Liberal tactic of distorting facts to try to win elections, I also think Horgan showed poor judgement in his choice of words. And that's not a good trait in a potential future Premier.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
lasnomadas
Übergod
Posts: 1296
Joined: Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:41 am

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by lasnomadas »

Back to the list of BC Liberal 'accomplishments' over the past 16 years: several attempts at improving highways and roads, failing miserably at most (Westside Road - no noticeable improvement, Sea-to-Sky - falling apart already and we're still paying the 'shadow toll', unnecessary centre dividers due to Todd Stone's ridiculous increase in speed limit). A total of 12 relatively small highway improvements over 16 years is something to brag about?

Unnecessary bridges built only to provide contracts for crooks like SNC Lavalin, (ditto the Site C dam), hospital additions that were paid for mostly by private donors, over and above tax dollars, some of them were promised before the 2013 election and still nowhere to be seen. And were private donors able to scrape up enough money to put beds and other equipment in that Vernon Jubilee Hospital addition?

Glad you mentioned that Coquihalla toll that was in place for many years after it was paid for, and was only taken off when Gordo needed an election campaign ploy to get reelected. You don't think I remember him sitting on that big piece of construction equipment with his hard-hat on? (Was that hardhat passed down to Christy for her photo-ops as well, or did we have to spring for a new one?)

Oh, and those German-built ferries that stay tied up at the dock because we can't afford the fuel it takes to run them, even when they're not broke down and waiting for some German parts and labourers to arrive to fix them. And as if Germany wasn't far enough away, Christy had to order a couple from Poland to replace the ones they sold for peanuts to some 'friends'. Believe me, that so-called Fast Cats scandal was nothing compared to the multi-scandals of the BC Liberals. Would you like me to list them again?
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 65976
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by The Green Barbarian »

lasnomadas wrote:Back to the list of BC Liberal 'accomplishments' over the past 16 years: several attempts at improving highways and roads, failing miserably at most


LOL - this was as far as I got. Your spin machine is really broken, its time to come up with some new lines.
Justin Trudeau- racist, elitist, liar. What a sick piece of garbage.

"Mr. Trudeau, you are a disgrace to any democracy. Please spare us your presence" - European Union addressing the sad sack of **** that is currently our PM.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7686
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by Urban Cowboy »

lasnomadas wrote:Back to the list of BC Liberal 'accomplishments' over the past 16 years: several attempts at improving highways and roads, failing miserably at most (Westside Road - no noticeable improvement, Sea-to-Sky - falling apart already and we're still paying the 'shadow toll', unnecessary centre dividers due to Todd Stone's ridiculous increase in speed limit). A total of 12 relatively small highway improvements over 16 years is something to brag about?

Unnecessary bridges built only to provide contracts for crooks like SNC Lavalin, (ditto the Site C dam), hospital additions that were paid for mostly by private donors, over and above tax dollars, some of them were promised before the 2013 election and still nowhere to be seen. And were private donors able to scrape up enough money to put beds and other equipment in that Vernon Jubilee Hospital addition?

Glad you mentioned that Coquihalla toll that was in place for many years after it was paid for, and was only taken off when Gordo needed an election campaign ploy to get reelected. You don't think I remember him sitting on that big piece of construction equipment with his hard-hat on? (Was that hardhat passed down to Christy for her photo-ops as well, or did we have to spring for a new one?)

Oh, and those German-built ferries that stay tied up at the dock because we can't afford the fuel it takes to run them, even when they're not broke down and waiting for some German parts and labourers to arrive to fix them. And as if Germany wasn't far enough away, Christy had to order a couple from Poland to replace the ones they sold for peanuts to some 'friends'. Believe me, that so-called Fast Cats scandal was nothing compared to the multi-scandals of the BC Liberals. Would you like me to list them again?


You've just successfully proven what I've suspected for some time now, despite your denial, you are as clueless an NDP supporter as could ever possibly exist.

I'd like to bring you a pick and shovel and send you out to four lane the highway from Peachland to Summerland, and Winfield to Oyama, since apparently it's such a "relatively small improvement" according to your words.

How about you also go out, and tell all those who've lost loved ones in death, due to lack of center dividers on our highways, that they aren't necessary.

Just an FYI you self righteous wonder, there's no less than about ten places along the road from Kelowna to Vernon where the dividers have taken a very hard hit, enough to be dislodged and moved a couple of feet, something that clearly indicates a potential head on crash was avoided. That's just on that section of highway. I'd imagine from the bridge to the connector turn off hasn't fared any better.

If you think increased speed limits is the blame for the need of dividers, again you need to buy yourself a clue, given the speed limit between Kelowna and Vernon, although promised, hasn't been raised on the old sections, and the reason they are so necessary is because of texting and driving, nothing to do with speed limits.

Please put at least a little effort into your prose before posting such utter drivel!
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
User avatar
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10846
Joined: Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:48 am

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by Hurtlander »

Old Techie wrote:You've just successfully proven what I've suspected for some time now, despite your denial, you are as clueless an NDP supporter as could ever possibly exist.


A mature,intelligent person would never make assumptions or wild guesses as to which political party someone is voting for. Unless you can provide documented proof that anyone you've accused of being an NDP'er is actually an NDP'er, Id suggest you stop with the unproven allegations.
A mature intelligent person would also provide solid evidence or proof to disprove any of the claims made by the above poster that you disagree with rather than slinging immature childish insults..

Heated political debate can be fun, informative and amusing. Hurling immature insults and false allegations ruins the thread for everyone.
Keep on Truckin
User avatar
dieseluphammerdown
Guru
Posts: 5255
Joined: Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:31 am

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Stick to the TOPIC, and stop making it personal.!
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7686
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Hurtlander wrote: Hurling immature insults and false allegations ruins the thread for everyone.


Agreed, now perhaps go and round up your like minded and see if you can convince them, or did you not read the post in question?

Had it not been for utter BS statements, that anyone with eyeballs knows are nonsense, I'd have not bothered to respond!

Blatant lies are deserving of a harsh response, not *bleep* footing around.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
lasnomadas
Übergod
Posts: 1296
Joined: Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:41 am

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by lasnomadas »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 9th, 2017, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7686
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by Urban Cowboy »

No that's incorrect. I just get supremely annoyed when people post lies, and try to act all innocent, in the process of peddling their alternate reality.

I'm grateful for the improvements our highways in the Okanagan have gotten under Liberal rule. We got zero under the NDP, and should the self serving crooks get back in, we'll get zero again until they get kicked to the curb, given they've never had any success in the Okanagan.

A lot of people died just on that little stretch of Hwy 97 between the Airport and Duck Lake, so I'm confident those who have lost loved ones are grateful for that too, albeit too late to help them.

Trash the Liberals all you wish, it seems your only purpose for living lately, but at least make an effort to keep it about topics where it's warranted. I'm thinking however that diminishing the value of whatever the Liberals have done, is precisely your goal, in the hope it makes the NDP's doing nothing at all last time, sting a little less during election time.

You've been going off on a tirade that's been utter nonsense, and I'm guessing you know that very well. Shame on you!

I'm also fairly certain if you send them a check, the Ministry of Highways would be happy to finish that section of Highway by Peachland that bothers you. Heck maybe they'll even name a bench after you.

A bit hypocritical of you though, to dismiss the ten kilometers or so of supremely difficult work that was done, oh wait that's right, according to you it was easy, my bad, but then complain about the two kilometers that hasn't been done yet, don't you think?

Have you not lived long enough, to recognize that no highway project ever gets done in one shot because of cost, and often times other associated reasons?

Being familiar with the last bit that hasn't been four laned yet I'm guessing it's going to be pretty expensive, and likely entail obtaining some private lands. I've also seen projects begin and end in seemingly odd places because of jurisdiction. Not saying that's the case there, but I don't know where Summerland ends and Peachland begins where the highway is concerned.

As for my not responding to the rest of your post, don't assume it's because I agreed with you. It was because the points were just too ridiculous to even bother mentioning.

So far all I've seen you do is trivialize the items I put in the list of things the Liberals have done in the Okanagan during their rule.

I'm still waiting for your list of what the NDP did when they had opportunity. Please by all means post it.

I mean listening to you guys they're all about great health care, education, yada yada yada, but what did they do when they had the chance? Why didn't they build the hospital additions knowing our population was aging quickly? Why didn't they four lane the highway from Summerland right through to Westbank?

Could it be because their definition of doing something, is adding as much manpower as they can, to the healthcare and education payroll, because that generates money for their masters?
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Apr 9th, 2017, 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
lasnomadas
Übergod
Posts: 1296
Joined: Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:41 am

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by lasnomadas »

No rebuttal on the hospitals, the bridges, the Coquihalla toll, or the ferries?
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7686
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by Urban Cowboy »

lasnomadas wrote:No rebuttal on the hospitals, the bridges, the Coquihalla toll, or the ferries?


The Bridges are needed and built or being built, that you feel they are unneeded doesn't surprise me one iota but that's just the opinion of one Liberal hater willing to use anything for fuel. You want the tunnel twinned, while experts indicate the ground beneath is not particularly suitable, and knowing a bit about construction, I know that standards change drastically over time, hence whatever they were when the tunnel was first built, may well be nowhere near what needs to be met now. Earthquake proofing comes to mind right off the bat.

The toll after the road was paid for was nothing more than a revenue source, sort of like my income tax is for the feds, a tax that was supposed to be temporary, yet here we are 100 yrs later and paying far more than ever expected. I can't really fault anyone for following the same playbook every other party be it federal or provincial uses, when it comes to creative ways of extracting money from us.

Ferries they got some replacements, beyond that I haven't followed them, so I won't offer opinion on that.

The hospitals are standing, and yet again, Rome wasn't built in a day, but as a person who has actually worked in the hospitals, I can assure you a lot of money has been pumped into them, and it is still ongoing with another major phase being worked on right now at KGH. I know in your perfect world, the building would come complete, with every piece of equipment known to man, but again the point is these are prime examples of major monies being put into our local healthcare needs. Why didn't the NDP build complete hospitals to show the Liberals how to do it properly?

Answer - because they don't build anything. They find it much easier to be the opposition and gripe about everything under the sun, and then when they get the chance, they do NOT act on it.

Clearly we are complete opposites, because I prefer to view the glass as half full, while you derive great joy out of incessantly pointing out it's half empty. Oh and that what is in it isn't up to your standards. That about sums it up.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 23976
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by fluffy »

For a party that can't be bothered to talk about their own platform they're having no problem peppering the airwaves with hate ads. it's looking more and more like "Let's get her!" is the NDP platform.
Never miss a good chance to shut up.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2734
Joined: Aug 29th, 2005, 2:06 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by mr.bandaid »

fluffy wrote:For a party that can't be bothered to talk about their own platform they're having no problem peppering the airwaves with hate ads. it's looking more and more like "Let's get her!" is the NDP platform.

And the liberals haven't been doing the same to the NDP? With our tax dollars? Poor little muffins. Ain't karma a bugger?
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 23976
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by fluffy »

mr.bandaid wrote:And the liberals haven't been doing the same to the NDP? With our tax dollars? Poor little muffins. Ain't karma a bugger?


I haven't seen any yet, are they playing the negative ad game too? From what I've seen so far the Liberals are campaigning on their record with the economy, while the NDP are going after Clark on a personal level.
Last edited by fluffy on Apr 9th, 2017, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never miss a good chance to shut up.
User avatar
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 925
Joined: Oct 28th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by krocky »

Old Techie wrote:You've just successfully proven what I've suspected for some time now, despite your denial, you are as clueless an NDP supporter as could ever possibly exist.
I'd like to bring you a pick and shovel and send you out to four lane the highway from Peachland to Summerland, and Winfield to Oyama, since apparently it's such a "relatively small improvement" according to your words.
How about you also go out, and tell all those who've lost loved ones in death, due to lack of center dividers on our highways, that they aren't necessary.
Just an FYI you self righteous wonder, there's no less than about ten places along the road from Kelowna to Vernon where the dividers have taken a very hard hit, enough to be dislodged and moved a couple of feet, something that clearly indicates a potential head on crash was avoided. That's just on that section of highway. I'd imagine from the bridge to the connector turn off hasn't fared any better.
If you think increased speed limits is the blame for the need of dividers, again you need to buy yourself a clue, given the speed limit between Kelowna and Vernon, although promised, hasn't been raised on the old sections, and the reason they are so necessary is because of texting and driving, nothing to do with speed limits.
Please put at least a little effort into your prose before posting such utter drivel!

Self righteous wonder..??? Now there's the pot calling the kettle black.!!

Anyhoo, I seem to recall as drove from West Kelowna to Penticton everyday during the construction of that 4 lane highway huge signs erected by the "federal" Government taking credit for that one but that's ok give all the credit to Christy, it helps your cause. And by the way Todd Stone is a self-serving :cuss: like most Liberals.. His upping the speed limits and useless left lane law (which will never be enforced) with all the expensive and equally useless road signs was for "his" benefit so he and like mined "testosterone" buddies could drive faster and not be impeded by the slower, law abiding citizens, nothing more.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”