Denying the obvious

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17124
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by maryjane48 »

At the time, eight health researchers were fired after the BC Liberal government publicly alleged a mishandling of sensitive health data.

The province also claimed an RCMP probe was underway which ultimately led to one of the researchers, Roderick MacIsaac, committing suicide.

It was later learned the RCMP had never begun any investigation.



deny reality
User avatar
JollyGreenBully
Banned
Posts: 936
Joined: Apr 7th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Urbane wrote:There are rude comments made about various candidates but Adrian Dix wasn't inundated with sexist comments the way Christy Clark is.


Yes, he actually was. As I've said a couple of times now - check old threads. He was relentlessly targeted with sexist and other juvenile comments. There's really no debate to be had here. It happened.

Urbane wrote:News flash: Most sexist comments are directed against women and not against men. Sometimes those making the comments are women.


News flash: you're wrong. Maybe your comment would have been applicable like 50 years ago, but things have changed drastically especially in terms of comments made on the Internet. Take a look at this link for some evidence:

http://time.com/3305466/male-female-harassment-online/

There's actually a valid argument that men are harassed more online and sexualized more online than women. The particular link I posted says that sexist remarks online are about equal in terms of being directed at men vs. women.

Urbane wrote:So when I say "juvenile and sexist" that means I'm endorsing the comment?? Once again, you're denying the obvious


Yes, you called the comments juvenile and sexist and then intimated that the comments aren't quite as bad as the ones directed at Clark because she's a woman. I consider such a comment, or at least such an intimation, to be incredibly sexist. It's like you're saying the poor little woman has to be protected whereas men don't.
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22752
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by Urbane »

^^ Ah yes, men have that glass ceiling to contend with. LOL. I'll at least give you credit for changing your mind about the sexist comments targeting Christy Clark. That's more than others on here who just think it's anything goes.
User avatar
JollyGreenBully
Banned
Posts: 936
Joined: Apr 7th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Urbane wrote:^^ Ah yes, men have that glass ceiling to contend with. LOL. I'll at least give you credit for changing your mind about the sexist comments targeting Christy Clark. That's more than others on here who just think it's anything goes.


How is this comment a valid rebuttal to anything I just typed? You started a thread partially about sexism but don't want to discuss any relevant data that is contrary to your view. You won't even look at old threads about Dix.

The fact that you're going on yet again about glass ceilings just reinforces my view that you think women need to be protected and are in some separate category in terms of sexist remarks.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 71766
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by The Green Barbarian »

lasnomadas wrote:
Yes, the BC Liberals deserve to be defeated. There are 6 or 7 other political parties in B.C. Any one of them would be an improvement. .


Except the NDP. They'd be a profound stain on this province and represent a giant leap backwards.
Justin Trudeau summed up by Stephen LeDrew:

Cockwomble: a person prone to making outrageously stupid statements and/or inappropriate behaviour while generally having a very high opinion of his own wisdom and importance.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 71766
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JollyGreenBully wrote:
Yes, he actually was. As I've said a couple of times now - check old threads. He was relentlessly targeted with sexist and other juvenile comments. There's really no debate to be had here. It happened.
.


Dix is a juvenile though. So what? I don't get why Dix being called what he is is causing you such distress, and yet you don't seem to care about the disgusting comments about Christy Clark? Anyway, it's politics. If you can't call a spade a spade, or in Dix's case, a really dumb guy a really dumb guy, then what is the point of commenting at all.
Justin Trudeau summed up by Stephen LeDrew:

Cockwomble: a person prone to making outrageously stupid statements and/or inappropriate behaviour while generally having a very high opinion of his own wisdom and importance.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 71766
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JollyGreenBully wrote:
The fact that you're going on yet again about glass ceilings just reinforces my view that you think women need to be protected and are in some separate category in terms of sexist remarks.


No, not really.
Justin Trudeau summed up by Stephen LeDrew:

Cockwomble: a person prone to making outrageously stupid statements and/or inappropriate behaviour while generally having a very high opinion of his own wisdom and importance.
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22752
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by Urbane »

    JollyGreenBully wrote:
    How is this comment a valid rebuttal to anything I just typed? You started a thread partially about sexism but don't want to discuss any relevant data that is contrary to your view. You won't even look at old threads about Dix.

    The fact that you're going on yet again about glass ceilings just reinforces my view that you think women need to be protected and are in some separate category in terms of sexist remarks.
If you don't recognize the fact that women have a glass ceiling to contend with and that sexist attitudes are the reason then there's no point discussing it further. Pretend that men have the same glass ceiling if you like but you're just denying the obvious.
User avatar
JollyGreenBully
Banned
Posts: 936
Joined: Apr 7th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by JollyGreenBully »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Dix is a juvenile though. So what?


Not what I said. At all. Please take the time to actually read my post.

The Green Barbarian wrote:and yet you don't seem to care about the disgusting comments about Christy Clark?


I do care. I just think it's absurd to act like she's the only politician who is being inundated with sexist remarks.

The Green Barbarian wrote:Anyway, it's politics. If you can't call a spade a spade, or in Dix's case, a really dumb guy a really dumb guy, then what is the point of commenting at all.


Because the thread is partially about how making sexist comments about politicians is bad?
Veovis
Guru
Posts: 6966
Joined: Apr 19th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by Veovis »

Making sexist remarks about anyone is bad. The fact remains is there is a group of solid NDP supporters on this site that feel it is fine because they feel "she deserves it"

The "she was asking for it" defense I thought died out a long time ago but apparently the mentality is strong with the left still. (at least on these forums)

The fact people can say these things which is no different than blaming rape on the girls outfit is rather sick and a definite turnoff for the desire to support the party they like based on those ideals. The fact that other supporters ignore this fact is really denying the obvious.
User avatar
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11074
Joined: Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:48 am

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by Hurtlander »

There certainly is a double standard..all the same people who are showing concern about perceived sexist remarks towards Christy Clark certainly don't hold back on their comments made about "selfie boy with the nice hair Justine"..
Keep on Truckin
User avatar
JollyGreenBully
Banned
Posts: 936
Joined: Apr 7th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by JollyGreenBully »

^But men don't have to contend with glass ceilings so it's acceptable to make sexist remarks about them.
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17124
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by maryjane48 »

and yet you don't seem to care about the disgusting comments about Christy Clark?



gb you really going to make me dig up what you said about our priminsters wife sophie ? bimbo is tame compared to what you have said about rachel notley and sophie gregoire . just saying ya know :smt045
Veovis
Guru
Posts: 6966
Joined: Apr 19th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by Veovis »

Hurtlander wrote:There certainly is a double standard..all the same people who are showing concern about perceived sexist remarks towards Christy Clark certainly don't hold back on their comments made about "selfie boy with the nice hair Justine"..


Never have I made that remark, however the fact you think "I can rape cuz that guy rapes" is telling of attitude and again a massive turnoff for the groups you may support as it makes it appear indicative of the attitude of that group.

IF you want to get rid of the crappy government we have, have a group be better than them. So far the NDP isn't doing that, they are only saying "we're just as crappy, just not them" and it's a crap campaign in those terms.

The fact too many as well as the NDP miss that is again, denying the obvious.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 71766
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Hurtlander wrote:There certainly is a double standard..


I agree. It's time the NDP supporters stopped with their sexist nonsense, and actually started giving people real reasons to vote for their decrepit party.
Justin Trudeau summed up by Stephen LeDrew:

Cockwomble: a person prone to making outrageously stupid statements and/or inappropriate behaviour while generally having a very high opinion of his own wisdom and importance.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”