Denying the obvious

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by Urbane »

Hurtlander wrote:Is it showing sexism towards Christy when people make comments that they think Christy Clark is "darn hot" while discussing this obviously photoshopped picture that Christy allowed to be released to the public ?
    http://www.provedplusprobable.com/100-w ... -shes-hot/
There have been posters on here who have said that Christy Clark is ugly in response to posters saying that she's attractive. Sexist? I'd say it's more that those calling her ugly just dislike her so much that they feel the need to be critical about anything and everything re Christy Clark.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Veovis:
I wasn't asking for your opinion; I was asking Urbane why he subscribes to the BC Liberal double standard, and why he accuses me of saying that Christy dresses to attract gullible men. I have never said that. Look it up.

And that remark about asking the engineers? That was an obvious cop-out.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

lasnomadas wrote:Veovis:
    I wasn't asking for your opinion; I was asking Urbane why he subscribes to the BC Liberal double standard, and why he accuses me of saying that Christy dresses to attract gullible men. I have never said that. Look it up.

And that remark about asking the engineers? That was an obvious cop-out.
You should go back and read what I said. Nowhere did I say that YOU made that comment. We were discussing sexist comments and I provided you an example of one that was made on here. One example of many. Slow down, read what I actually wrote, think about it, and then comment. It's okay to disagree but you need to comprehend what I'm saying.

Well, the experts said that the bridge needed to be replaced and you think me pointing that out is a cop-out so how about you provide some proof that the bridge didn't need to be replaced? I liked the idea of keeping the old bridge while adding the new one but we were told that the maintenance costs would have been prohibitive. So it made sense to dismantle the old bridge.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Seems I'm always misreading what you write. I'll try to read your comments more carefully from now on. I think we've worn out the sexist comments topic anyway, don't you?

Regarding that bridge, you probably realize by now that I'm not one who has blind faith in authority, therefore I'm still convinced that mistakes were made (and that's putting it kindly) when the decision was made to dismantle the floating bridge rather than maintain and twin it. As I said 40 - 50 years is not 'old' as bridges go, the Lion's Gate and the Patullo being good examples of much older bridges that have been well-maintained and are still serviceable.

The old bridge should have been twinned and the new bridge built with infrastructure that bypassed downtown Kelowna completely, just as they've been discussing since 2013. As I said, the whole Kelowna bridge thing was a fiasco, and it's obvious by reading and listening to comments on the subject that the majority of people who live in the central Okanagan agree with me.

Somebody is denying the obvious here, and it's not me.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ Your plan would have been way more expensive, i.e.retaining the old bridge, bringing it up to standard, building a new bridge, and constructing a bypass around Kelowna wouldn't have been done ten years ago by any government.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Urbane wrote:^^ Your plan would have been way more expensive, i.e.retaining the old bridge, bringing it up to standard, building a new bridge, and constructing a bypass around Kelowna wouldn't have been done ten years ago by any government.

Not only expensive, but stupid. The lift-span portion of the bridge was ridiculous. Halting traffic and backing it up all the way to Leckie so a sail-boat could get to the other side was nonsensical. That old floating bridge had to go, and anyone arguing that it should have stayed doesn't understand basic reality.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 5th, 2017, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

@Urbane:
OMG.......has it been 10 years? Time flies when you're having fun, I suppose. Well, perhaps they could have done what I suggested, straightened and widened Westside Road and bypassed both Kelowna and Vernon. Those two towns should have been bypassed long ago anyway. Penticton, Summerland, and Oyama are the only towns in the Okanagan that are pleasant to visit because Hwy 97 bypasses them. And the government has been making a half-a$$ed effort of improving Westside Road anyway.

Someone should crunch the numbers and compare the costs of a new bridge and all the infrastructure that goes with bypassing Kelowna's downtown core, and straightening and widening Westside Road.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

lasnomadas wrote:@Urbane:
Well, perhaps they could have done what I suggested, straightened and widened Westside Road and bypassed both Kelowna and Vernon. Those two towns should have been bypassed long ago anyway.

That I can agree with.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Rwede wrote:
We just have to go over to that left wing forum that you administer, and see for ourselves that you're all NDP cheerleaders.

What left wing forum does Hurtlander administer? PM me with it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

lasnomadas wrote:@Urbane:
    OMG.......has it been 10 years? Time flies when you're having fun, I suppose. Well, perhaps they could have done what I suggested, straightened and widened Westside Road and bypassed both Kelowna and Vernon. Those two towns should have been bypassed long ago anyway. Penticton, Summerland, and Oyama are the only towns in the Okanagan that are pleasant to visit because Hwy 97 bypasses them. And the government has been making a half-a$$ed effort of improving Westside Road anyway.

Someone should crunch the numbers and compare the costs of a new bridge and all the infrastructure that goes with bypassing Kelowna's downtown core, and straightening and widening Westside Road.
A bypass would be nice but it would take only 4% of the traffic off the bridge. 96% of the people travelling over the bridge are staying in the Central Okanagan.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

clark said her 50 thousand stipitend was for car . we determined tgat was a lie since dueck a investor in clark gave her and other a car to use .

deny reality :smt045
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

lasnomadas wrote:The old bridge should have been twinned and the new bridge built with infrastructure that bypassed downtown Kelowna completely, just as they've been discussing since 2013.

That's quite a ludicrous suggestion.

The costs to keep that old bridge above water were astronomical, and the logistics unworkable.

Moreover, city bypasses kill businesses which are dependent on tourist traffic, and create unemployment. The NDP doesn't understand business or employment creation, so it's expected that they would take the wrong route.

I know that some people are very resistant to change, but the new bridge was change for the much better.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Queen K wrote:
Rwede wrote:
We just have to go over to that left wing forum that you administer, and see for ourselves that you're all NDP cheerleaders.

What left wing forum does Hurtlander administer? PM me with it.

On its way.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

lasnomadas wrote:Seems I'm always misreading what you write. I'll try to read your comments more carefully from now on. I think we've worn out the sexist comments topic anyway, don't you?

Regarding that bridge, you probably realize by now that I'm not one who has blind faith in authority, therefore I'm still convinced that mistakes were made (and that's putting it kindly) when the decision was made to dismantle the floating bridge rather than maintain and twin it. As I said 40 - 50 years is not 'old' as bridges go, the Lion's Gate and the Patullo being good examples of much older bridges that have been well-maintained and are still serviceable.

The old bridge should have been twinned and the new bridge built with infrastructure that bypassed downtown Kelowna completely, just as they've been discussing since 2013. As I said, the whole Kelowna bridge thing was a fiasco, and it's obvious by reading and listening to comments on the subject that the majority of people who live in the central Okanagan agree with me.

Somebody is denying the obvious here, and it's not me.

This kind of backward thinking is why the NDP rarely gets elected, and when they unfortunately do sneak in, they quickly ruin a province with hare-brained schemes that choose the WORST way to do things. Just say no to NDP.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”