Vicki Huntington on Independent MLAs

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Vicki Huntington on Independent MLAs

Post by kelownman »

I want to respond to recent comments I’ve seen from a former government member questioning the value of Independent Members of the Legislative Assembly. I have had the distinct privilege of serving as an Independent MLA for eight years, and I think my record speaks for itself. In that time, my office has accomplished much for both my constituency and beyond. I do not “sit in the corner”. I am not “lonely”. I am Independent – a very big difference. I don’t need a caucus to be told what to think and what to say. I can speak directly to all issues facing my constituents and I can freely hold the government to account.

I sit on legislative committees and participate fully. I speak to bills; to budget estimates; and to clause-by-clause-stage legislation. I have tabled my own bills. I have access to ministers and have had wonderful cooperation on important issues. Members from both sides of the House are friends and legislative colleagues.

Independent Members have double the legislative budget of other MLAs, who must pool their money to pay for caucus research and communication offices. I have two full-time research and communications assistants whose work enables my full participation in the business of the legislative assembly.

And the most important privilege of an Independent? I can speak freely on behalf of my riding. I can disagree with government publicly. I can support government publicly. I am free to vote my conscience and on behalf of South Delta. I am my constituents’ voice in Victoria and I could not be more proud of that fact.

I denounce the suggestion that voting for an Independent is “like throwing your vote into the garbage can.” That is disrespectful of the democratic process and of the individual voter. Your vote is sacrosanct. Your vote is the essence of our democracy. It reflects your conscience and your personal decision on who to trust with your voice and opinion. Your vote is not garbage. A vote for an Independent is an illustration of the value that you place on having your voice represented in Victoria.

https://www.facebook.com/Vicki.J.Huntin ... 9855034487

this "former government member" is Pat Pimm, outgoing MLA for Peace River South.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Vicki Huntington on Independent MLAs

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Good points by Pat Pimm. I wouldn't want to be represented by Vicki Huntington, especially after that stupid stunt she pulled with the hacking nonsense.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

:smt045 :up: (My response is to 'kelownman")
Last edited by lasnomadas on Apr 5th, 2017, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

kelownman wrote:
I want to respond to recent comments I’ve seen from a former government member questioning the value of Independent Members of the Legislative Assembly. I have had the distinct privilege of serving as an Independent MLA for eight years, and I think my record speaks for itself. In that time, my office has accomplished much for both my constituency and beyond. I do not “sit in the corner”. I am not “lonely”. I am Independent – a very big difference. I don’t need a caucus to be told what to think and what to say. I can speak directly to all issues facing my constituents and I can freely hold the government to account.

I sit on legislative committees and participate fully. I speak to bills; to budget estimates; and to clause-by-clause-stage legislation. I have tabled my own bills. I have access to ministers and have had wonderful cooperation on important issues. Members from both sides of the House are friends and legislative colleagues.

Independent Members have double the legislative budget of other MLAs, who must pool their money to pay for caucus research and communication offices. I have two full-time research and communications assistants whose work enables my full participation in the business of the legislative assembly.

And the most important privilege of an Independent? I can speak freely on behalf of my riding. I can disagree with government publicly. I can support government publicly. I am free to vote my conscience and on behalf of South Delta. I am my constituents’ voice in Victoria and I could not be more proud of that fact.

I denounce the suggestion that voting for an Independent is “like throwing your vote into the garbage can.” That is disrespectful of the democratic process and of the individual voter. Your vote is sacrosanct. Your vote is the essence of our democracy. It reflects your conscience and your personal decision on who to trust with your voice and opinion. Your vote is not garbage. A vote for an Independent is an illustration of the value that you place on having your voice represented in Victoria.

WOW, best post I have seen in a long time.!! Bravo Vicki.. I wish more British Columbians could see this and get their head out of the sand. If any vote is a garbage vote it is one cast for a party affiliated MLA with the thought that they will have ANY say whatsoever when the get to Victoria.. You go GIRL..!!!!
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Vicki Huntington will be sorely missed by her constituents in South Delta. It will be difficult to replace her.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Good points by Pat Pimm. I wouldn't want to be represented by Vicki Huntington, especially after that stupid stunt she pulled with the hacking nonsense.

You mean this stunt:
Christy Clark apologizes for hacking allegations

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3976108

Shame on you Vicki for "outing" Christy like that..
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

krocky wrote:
Shame on you Vicki for "outing" Christy like that..

No, shame on her for playing politics with people's privacy. Good riddance Vicki!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

"Playing politics with people's privacy".......OMG. How low can you go?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

lasnomadas wrote:"Playing politics with people's privacy".......OMG. How low can you go?

That's what I asked of Vicki Huntington. She got extremely low.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Vicki commands an awful lot of respect in this province. Now might be a good time to remind you of that old quote by another respected statesman: 'It's better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.'
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

lasnomadas wrote: 'It's better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.'

Yes. If this were really true, then a lot of the NDP supporters on Castanet would never speak.

As for Vicki Huntington - don't let the door hit your butt on the way out. Hasta la vista.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

kelownman wrote:https://www.facebook.com/Vicki.J.Huntin ... 9855034487

this "former government member" is Pat Pimm, outgoing MLA for Peace River South.

It's absolutely horrible that anyone would think that wife beater Pat Primm has a good point to make about anything

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... a-pat-pimm

http://www.570news.com/2017/02/27/assau ... -pat-pimm/
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Pat Pimm was the 'former government member' Vicki Huntington was referring to here:

I want to respond to recent comments I’ve seen from a former government member questioning the value of Independent Members of the Legislative Assembly.

Pat Pimm himself is an Independent who 'resigned' from the ChrstyLiberals because of his arrest on two domestic assault charges but still appears in any and every photo-op that the ChristyLiberals can include him in.

Vicki Huntington simply took the air out of Christy's baseless, vindictive and completely false balloon in blaming Horgan's NDP of 'hacking' the Liberal's careless use of their website.
Chill
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Hurtlander wrote:
It's absolutely horrible that anyone would think that wife beater Pat Primm has a good point to make about anything

Why is it absolutely horrible? His point is extremely valid, especially in this case.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^So you hate Independents now too, eh?
Chill

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”