And they're off...

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60297
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: And they're off...

Post by The Green Barbarian »

neilsimon wrote:Yes, the system is terribly flawed.


Yes, it's terribly flawed unless the leftists win. Then it's totally fine. Somehow Harper winning in 2011 with 39.6% of the popular vote was a horrible tragedy that inflamed thousands of leftists to scream and tear their clothes in agony, and yet when Trudeau won with an even lower amount of the popular vote, it was totally cool.

We should have a proportional representation


I disagree. All proportional representation does is reward bad ideas that have no place ever making it to our legislative bodies. Complete waste of time and resources.

. Both the BC NDP and BC Green Party have it as one of their plans in their current platforms.


Well that's nice, but it would have to go to a referendum. And prop rep. never wins. Why? Because it's a stupid form of voting, *removed* who would never get their bad ideas into parliament/legislature otherwise. All the Greens and the NDP would do would waste everyone's time and money, but that's what they're good at, so why doesn't it surprise me.

Also - if the NDP do win, expect the Prop rep promise to die, just like Trudeau killed his promise. I also expect the NDP will forget about the political donation promise as well. And why wouldn't they? Their whole campaign is being paid for and run by unions right now.
Last edited by ferri on May 9th, 2017, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22697
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: And they're off...

Post by Urbane »

Mainstreet analyst Quito Maggi explains why it looks like there will be another Liberal majority government:

The biggest factor? The economy.

“The economy sets the mood for the electorate,” said Maggi. “On that metric, Christy Clark and the B.C. Liberals have done a pretty good job over the last few years,” submitting balanced budgets and keeping unemployment low.

Even Liberal controversies such as the cash-for-access scandal or the hot-button issue of housing affordability in Metro Vancouver, where half the province’s ridings are, aren’t enough to swing momentum the other way, he noted. “There’s just not enough reward right now for voters to take a risk for change.”



Out of about a dozen tight ridings across the province, the poll delves into four battleground ridings.

It shows substantial leads for Liberal incumbents Peter Fassbender in Surrey-Fleetwood, who enjoys a nine-percentage point lead over his NDP rival Jagrup Brar, and Jackie Tegart in Fraser-Nicola, who holds a commanding 24-point lead over Harry Lali of the NDP.

The race is tighter in Delta North, where the poll shows Scott Hamilton, the Liberal incumbent, is in the lead, but within the margin of error.

In Saanich North and the Islands, Stephen Roberts of the Liberals hold a razor-thin advantage, also within the margin of error, over Green candidate Adam Olsen. NDP incumbent Gary Holman is in third, according to the poll.


Full article: http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... in-support
George+
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10008
Joined: Oct 10th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Re: And they're off...

Post by George+ »

More back patting?

The reality is that a government will get elected, again,
With only about 25% of eligible voters.

Must get to PR or just rely on scandals and controversies to defeat governments.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60297
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: And they're off...

Post by The Green Barbarian »

George+ wrote:More back patting?

The reality is that a government will get elected, again,
With only about 25% of eligible voters.
.


So the same margin that voted to stupidly get rid of the HST.
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
George+
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10008
Joined: Oct 10th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Re: And they're off...

Post by George+ »

Makes no sense either way.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7526
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: And they're off...

Post by Urban Cowboy »

George+ wrote:60% of voters did not support the Liberals in the last election.
It will be about the same this time.
Must unite behind the NDP.



Truer words never spoken............
"The argument about the vote split is a form of voter suppression," said Weaver, a scientist who has taught at the University of Victoria. "It's actually a very clever tactic, because what it does is rile up the (party) base and it turns off everybody else. But if people vote for what they want, we know we can win."

Weaver said the Greens' refusal to accept political donations from corporations and unions appeals to voters who hear the NDP and Liberals "argue over who is the least bought off."
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60297
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: And they're off...

Post by The Green Barbarian »

George+ wrote:Makes no sense either way.


so you voted to keep the HST George?
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22697
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: And they're off...

Post by Urbane »

From CBC:

The seat projection model favours the Liberals in a close race largely because the party's regional support is more efficient than the NDP's. But while the race is otherwise a toss-up — two polls published Monday morning by Mainstreet/Postmedia and Ipsos/Global News give the NDP a statistically insignificant one-point lead over the Liberals — there are reasons to believe the Liberals could have the edge.

In the polls conducted partially or entirely in May, three have given the NDP the lead by a single point while two have given the Liberals a lead of two to four points. That suggests that the Liberals have the higher upside than the NDP. The Liberals have also been trending upwards at the tail-end of the campaign, while the NDP has stagnated or dropped.

The Liberals also potentially have a turnout advantage. Mainstreet finds that the Liberals have stronger supporters and give the party a three-point lead among those voters who are most likely to vote and least likely to change their minds.

Both Mainstreet and Ipsos give the Liberals a significant lead among older British Columbians, who also vote in larger numbers.

On leadership, in six polls conducted during the campaign that have asked who voters think would be the best premier, Clark has placed ahead of Horgan in five of them.
Full article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4104297
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2734
Joined: Aug 29th, 2005, 2:06 pm

Re: And they're off...

Post by mr.bandaid »

Why else would one of Canada's largest banks already be warning investors to avoid BC?



Is this the same bank that is getting 2.8 million from the Liberals?
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60297
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: And they're off...

Post by The Green Barbarian »

mr.bandaid wrote:
Is this the same bank that is getting 2.8 million from the Liberals?


The Liberals are giving the bank money?
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2734
Joined: Aug 29th, 2005, 2:06 pm

Re: And they're off...

Post by mr.bandaid »

Something about a screw up in a tax rebate. I believe the liberals refused, lost AGAIN in court and will have to repay them. I think the TD is just sucking up.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2734
Joined: Aug 29th, 2005, 2:06 pm

Re: And they're off...

Post by mr.bandaid »

Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4032
Joined: Aug 16th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: And they're off...

Post by Drip_Torch »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
mr.bandaid wrote:
Is this the same bank that is getting 2.8 million from the Liberals?


The Liberals are giving the bank money?


No, not really.

The BC taxpayer is giving the banks money. The only reason we know about TD is because they were a day late with the filing. How much were giving to, how many banks remains unknown, because there is no reason for the program to be accountable to the taxpayer. They prefer to be accountable to themselves.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4100507
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60297
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: And they're off...

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Drip_Torch wrote:
No, not really.

The BC taxpayer is giving the banks money.


Is this really the case, or just NDP propagandists once again spinning their blarney? So you are saying that any program which involves any business receiving a tax rebate isn't tax policy in action, it's "taxpayers giving the banks money". So when the NDP funneled $320 million into the pockets of those controlling Skeena Cellulose, that wasn't "the taxpayers giving away money"? I am confused here.
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
User avatar
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4032
Joined: Aug 16th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: And they're off...

Post by Drip_Torch »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Is this really the case, or just NDP propagandists once again spinning their blarney? So you are saying that any program which involves any business receiving a tax rebate isn't tax policy in action, it's "taxpayers giving the banks money". So when the NDP funneled $320 million into the pockets of those controlling Skeena Cellulose, that wasn't "the taxpayers giving away money"? I am confused here.


There we go, back to the 90's again. It's 2017, time for the government to be accountable for their own shortcomings.

Is it "just NDP propagandists spinning again"?

I don't know - how big is the NDP base in New York?

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/02/world ... reaks.html
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”