Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Horgan to hand out bonus to millionaire renters

Post by Rwede »

NDP vows renter rebate

The Canadian Press - Apr 12, 2017 / 1:57 pm | Story: 194339

Photo: The Canadian Press
UPDATED: 1:55 P.M.

British Columbia's Liberal government has ignored renters for the past 16 years and it's high time someone offered them a helping hand, New Democrat Leader John Horgan says.

Horgan said that as premier he would introduce an annual $400 renter's rebate if his party wins the provincial election on May 9.

"The message from the B.C. NDP today is that help is on the way," Horgan said Wednesday during a campaign stop in downtown Vancouver.

He said the proposed rental subsidy would apply across the province and be available to all tenants, regardless of income.

"If homeowners can have a homeowner grant, renters should be able to have a grant as well."

The soaring cost of home ownership has been a high-profile issue in B.C., and the provincial government has responded by creating several policies aimed at curbing real estate prices, including a 15 per cent buyer's tax on non-Canadians and non-permanent residents.

A homeowner grant provides a $570 break in property tax to people who own homes worth less than $1.6 million.

Premier Christy Clark increased the grant's eligibility threshold from $1.2 million at the start of this year after a dramatic increase in the assessed value of homes, which would be taxed at higher rates.

Speaking in Burnaby on Wednesday, Clark criticized the NDP's proposal, saying a renter's credit would line the pockets of wealthy tenants who live in penthouses in downtown Vancouver.

"That isn't right. We shouldn't be redistributing our tax money to the very rich," she said, adding the province already provides a rental subsidy to over 100,000 low-income renters.

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC-Electio ... ter-rebate
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Horgan to hand out bonus to millionaire renters

Post by krocky »

"That isn't right. We shouldn't be redistributing our tax money to the very rich," she said

Christy, Christy, for once you are correct, so here's a new concept for you, how about you practise what you preach and include yourself while you're at it, we have definitely redistributed enough tax money into your pantsuit pockets..
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Thanks John for the instant rent inflation!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Hassel99 wrote:Thanks John for the instant rent inflation!

No kidding!

It just goes to show you how inept the NDP is at understanding business principles, and exactly why they should never, ever be given the keys to the provincial treasury.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Horgan said that as premier he would introduce an annual $400 renter's rebate if his party wins the provincial election on May 9.

As much as I hate the BC Liberals and hope they lose miserably I have to say this IS a stupid idea. When rents in the Okanagan have skyrocketed to a whopping $1500/month for a one bedroom condo in some cases what good is $400 per year going to do.?? It won't even pay one month's electricity bill that Christy's BFF's are charging.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the question is whats clarks proposal to help renters ?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

maryjane48 wrote:the question is whats clarks proposal to help renters ?
Another question is how Horgan will pay for his proposal. Are you okay with him refusing to let us know? He says they'll figure out the details once they assume office. Where's the costing out? Where's the transparency?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Urbane wrote:
Another question is how Horgan will pay for his proposal. Are you okay with him refusing to let us know? He says they'll figure out the details once they assume office. Where's the costing out? Where's the transparency?

Didn't they resort to the same strategy, of promises without saying how they'd be paid for, last election Urbane? :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Was missing this part of the article, accidental, or just your regular selective intake of data?

"That isn't right. We shouldn't be redistributing our tax money to the very rich," she said, adding the province already provides a rental subsidy to over 100,000 low-income renters.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

"Horgan said that as premier he would introduce an annual $400 renter's rebate if his party wins the provincial election on May 9."

Really, am I hearing right. $400 for an entire year? Is this for real or have I missed something here? Just pay everyone a basic income and encourage people to work rather than penalize them for seeking work over and above a benefit!

How embarrassing to start off an election with this statement.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Wheels wrote:"Horgan said that as premier he would introduce an annual $400 renter's rebate if his party wins the provincial election on May 9."

Really, am I hearing right. $400 for an entire year? Is this for real or have I missed something here? Just pay everyone a basic income and encourage people to work rather than penalize them for seeking work over and above a benefit!

How embarrassing to start off an election with this statement.

So basically he's trying to buy votes with our money......................hmmmmm............. something a few are quite annoyed at the Liberals for doing. [icon_lol2.gif]
jayro
Fledgling

Post by jayro »

It's bad ideas like this along with the $10/day daycare why we may get stuck with Christy's gang, and I would love to see them wiped off the electoral map but people run back to them when they hear stuff like this otherwise the NDP have a good shot.
Plus like Urbane said how are they going to pay for this??? I would argue however that this is not as bad as the Liberal plan of handing out interest free loans of up to $40000 to people how cannot afford to buy a home in the first place and with no guarantees that money will ever be paid back
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

jayro wrote:It's bad ideas like this along with the $10/day daycare why we may get stuck with Christy's gang, and I would love to see them wiped off the electoral map but people run back to them when they hear stuff like this otherwise the NDP have a good shot.
Plus like Urbane said how are they going to pay for this??? I would argue however that this is not as bad as the Liberal plan of handing out interest free loans of up to $40000 to people how cannot afford to buy a home in the first place and with no guarantees that money will ever be paid back

The $40k is a fully registered mortgage, you won't be able to sell without paying it back.
It is guaranteed against the value of the home.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

So because homeowners get a break on property taxes renters should get a break on housing costs? This idea is so shortsighted and full of holes it's embarrassing.

Renters already get a break on property taxes - 100% discount
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

If you read some of the other threads in the forum, you would realize that renters are, in fact, the most financially literate and wealthy groups in existence. I'd never have thought it but the renters there have claimed it and felt they have proven it.
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”