Horgan to hand out bonus to millionaire renters

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Horgan to hand out bonus to millionaire renters

Post by Leifer »

If you read some of the other threads in the forum, you would realize that renters are, in fact, the most financially literate and wealthy groups in existence. I'd never have thought it but the renters there have claimed it and felt they have proven it.

LoL
Ain't that the truth. [icon_lol2.gif]
Glad I didn't listen to them 10 years ago....or 20 years ago....or today.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

good . it is about time someone other than clark enticed the rich of bc to back them . i would say shrewd move horgan :biggrin:
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Charge anyone with a rental property on the books a bit more come tax time. In order for the renter to be eligible for the rebate they must be living in a legal suite that is registered.
It's a dumb idea altogether and like some said it's stupid things like this that sink the NDP.
Guess they are really counting on renters votes this time around.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

fall wrote:Charge anyone with a rental property on the books bit more come tax time. In order for the renter to be eligible for the rebate they must be living in a legal suite that is registered.

So, you charge the landlord a bit more come tax time to pay for Horgan's dumb idea.

You know who pays the landlord's tax bill?

The renter.

NDP fail.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The NDP have had 16 years to come up with ideas that actually work and this is what we get?? Are they deliberately trying to lose? They don't seem to be able to think things through before they make the big announcements. How are you going to pay for it? Ah, er, um, well, we'll figure out the details after we're elected.
:biggrin:
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

all the extra power site c is going to sell can easily pay for it . icbc going up ? again more money to pay for it :130:
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

I'm in the process of converting my old house into a duplex and preparing to rent both suites out. Mind you I am creating 2 very nice and comfortable suites, and going out of my way to create something that will be reasonably affordable with good quality.

The costs for doing this has been astronomical. I can't believe how much everything costs now so I am doing much of the work myself in the evenings and weekends. The first thing that came to mind when I heard about this was that I can increase the rents and recoup my investment faster. I'm not saying I would do so, as my desire is only to create a reasonable income for my retirement, not gouge my tenants for every penny I can. I would rather give good tenants a break. However, the temptation is there and I'm sure most landlords will simply raise the rents.

Therefore, this is a stupid idea. I was willing to consider Horgan until this and the freezing of hydro rates. Another stupid idea. One day the piper will have to be paid. He is simply pushing the pain further down the road when it will hurt low income earners more.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

$400 per year = about $35 per month. That's not going to make much difference. I have no doubt that the landlords will try to increase the rent by as much.

And how much is it going to cost to create a bureaucracy to administer this?? How many $100,000 government jobs are going to be created with this idea.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Again, think the idea is ridiculous, but honestly do you people really think landlords will not charge every red cent they can in order to collect maximum rent anyhow?
Lets also not forget any renter already in place or in a lease can not have their rent increased by more than 4 percent a year.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

fall wrote:Again, think the idea is ridiculous, but honestly do you people really think landlords will not charge every red cent they can in order to collect maximum rent anyhow?
Lets also not forget any renter already in place or in a lease can not have their rent increased by more than 4 percent a year.

The next step to pay for daycare. rent etc, he will put in an employee payroll tax once he is in power, what a werdo. :130: :D
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

maryjane48 wrote:the question is whats clarks proposal to help renters ?

How about an interest free loan to enable people to purchase a home and get out of the renters racket.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

intrest free of my tax money or clarks personal money . until its clarks own money i say power to the renters :130: 7
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Of course you do it's the NDP way! Spend other peoples money until you can't squeeze another drop out of them, then get kicked to the curb at the polls for a couple of decades. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Well damn, I'm going to make my wife pay rent! Not much, maybe $35/month. Thanks, John!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

I rent.

And I will use the $400 to buy two nice bottles of scotch.

Thanks government.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”