NDP candidates with a business background

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: NDP candidates with a business background

Post by Muzza »

I had to laugh at #6 Harry Lali in the list of business owners. I know Harry very well and have known him for over 25 years, and in fact helped him with his first nomination to run for the NDP. In his own words "He bought a 10% interest in a sporting goods store in Merritt so that he could say he is a business owner and understands how businesses operate". He had no say whatsoever in running the business and I doubt if he has gained any experience since then.... Sorry Harry! (He is a great guy by the way......)

I wonder how many other NDP candidates did the same!
Last edited by Muzza on Apr 19th, 2017, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My Stepmom owned a business but the woman has no clue and is poorly educated and sorry but she is not the sharpest knife in the drawer!

The fact that someone owns a business means diddly squat as to how smart they are.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

It's all about context in this thread.

NDP candidate Mr Smith ran a recycling business for many years before deciding to run for office.

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

BeingHuman wrote:
Don't believe the Liberal lies about NDP performance in the 1990's, the NDP performed much better than the BC Lib-Cons care to admit. The BC Lib-Cons spread FEAR and MISTRUST, don't believe it and don't buy into it!!!

So then what are people supposed to believe is the reason the NDP was wiped out 77-2? Because they were doing such a good job?
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Adam T wrote:
I support the N.D.P in this election because I can't stand Christy Clark. I haven't seen a politician as cynical and dishonest as her in Canada in many years.

The NDP should earn your vote. Not just win it as a booby prize.
Not afraid to say "It".
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:My Stepmom owned a business but the woman has no clue and is poorly educated and sorry but she is not the sharpest knife in the drawer!

The fact that someone owns a business means diddly squat as to how smart they are.

This is why context is so important, yet is something the NDP cheerleaders tend to always leave out.

Ideally a person should have a functional knowledge of how business operates, successful business that is.

Why should tax payers provide and pay for an opportunity for someone who has failed privately, when those who wish to enter politics, or otherwise work for government, should by rights be the cream of the crop?

I know for a fact a higher education diploma/degree is not a guarantee the holder is the cream of the crop, yet some who do not possess such certification are.

The knife cuts both ways so some detailed history is crucial.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Adam T

Post by Adam T »

Muzza wrote:I had to laugh at #6 Harry Lali in the list of business owners. I know Harry very well and have known him for over 25 years, and in fact helped him with his first nomination to run for the NDP. In his own words "He bought a 10% interest in a sporting goods store in Merritt so that he could say he is a business owner and understands how businesses operate". He had no say whatsoever in running the business and I doubt if he has gained any experience since then.... Sorry Harry! (He is a great guy by the way......)

I wonder how many other NDP candidates did the same!

I doubt there are any others. He's the only one listed as a co-owner.

Let's check

Small Business Owners
1.Morgane Oger, Vancouver-False Creek, Owner Pilothouse Marina
2.Lyren Chiu, Richmond North Center, Former Owner Beautiful Minds Wellness Center
3.Gail Chaddock-Costello, Langley, Bed and Breakfast Owner
4.Bob D'Eith, Maple Ridge-Mission, Owner Adagio Music (Record Label and Publishing Firm), Entertainment Lawyer and Firm Owner
5.Gerry Taft, Columbia River-Revelstoke, Owner Gerry's Gelati Cafe and Stolen Church Coffee Company (micro brewery)
6.Harry Lali, Fraser-Nicola, Former Small Environmental Technology Import/Export Company Partner, Former Sporting Goods Store Co-Owner, M.L.A 1991-2001, 2005-2013
7.Randal MacNair, Kootenay East, Owner Oolichan Books (book publisher)
8.Tarik Sayeed, Penticton, Owner Basanti Interactive Media
9.Sylvia Lindgren, Shuswap, Former Private Senior's Care Home (Carlin Cottage)
10.Scott Elliott, Cariboo North, Former Owner Trout Tales Fly Fishing Adventures
11.Sally Watson, Cariboo-Chilcotin, Former Tire Store Owner
12.Doug Donaldson, Stikine, Former Tourism Business Owner, Former Director Bulkley Valley Credit Union, M.L.A 2009-
13.Scott Fraser, Mid Island-Pacific Rim, Former Bed and Breakfast Owner, M.L.A 2005-
14.Doug Routley, Nanaimo-North Cowichan, Former Specialty Bike Shop and Wholesale Dealership Chain Owner, M.L.A 2005-

Going over one by one.
1.Morgane Oger mentioned in an interview she owns the Pilothouse Marina in Powell River. She lives in Vancouver, so I don't know how actively she runs it, but she's owned it for around a decade, and I'd doubt she'd just let somebody run it into the ground.

2.Lyren Chiu has a PhD in nursing and has an interest in 'new age' philosophies, so this business fit in with her background.

3.Gail Chaddock-Costello. I don't see how she can't be active in her own bed and breakfast.

4.Bob D'Eith. He started as a piano player and kept adding entertainment interests. I don't know how active he still is in the business.
http://www.adagiomedia.ca/

New Book "A Career in Music: building your inner circle"
Article by Tom Harrison (the Province)
"D’Eith has tried to throw out a lifeline to any aspiring act so they won’t feel alone."

5.Gerry Taft. His name is in the business. I was told he recently sold it though, but he owned it for around a decade despite only being 35. Apparently he's one of those people who started his first business while still in his teens.

7.Randal MacNair, ABOUT US
Oolichan Books is based in Fernie, B.C. in the Rocky Mountains. Our name is taken from the small fish, once plentiful in West Coast waters and a staple in the diet of First Nations people to whom it was sacred. The oolichan, often referred to as the candlefish, is believed to possess healing powers and guarantee longevity. Oolichan Books is a literary press, publishing poetry, fiction and non-fiction titles.

Our Staff
Randal Macnair - Publisher

Fernie, B.C. – In the coming months Oolichan Books will be moving from the shores of Georgia Strait to the mountains of the British Columbia Rockies. Oolichan is pleased to announce that Randal Macnair of Fernie has acquired a majority partnership in Oolichan Books from founder and long-time publisher Ron Smith.
Macnair has been working with Smith since July 2009 learning the intricacies of running Oolichan Books. Smith will remain as editor to facilitate a smooth transition and ensure the integrity of Oolichan’s efforts and will remain as the primary editor for Oolichan for the foreseeable future. “I’m delighted that Oolichan Books will survive, and in such capable hands. Randal brings a vision to the press that will see it grow and serve all those who have a passion for reading and for quality writing,” said Smith regarding the move.

8.Tarik Sayeed, https://www.basanti.ca/about-us. Sayeed has a degree in management information systems and an M.B.A

9.Sylvia Lindgren only owned the care home for about 1 1/2 years. She may not have been too active in it, don't know.

10.Scott Elliott. He's the outdoor type.

11.Sally Watson. No idea. This information was posted on the NDP website.

12.Doug Donaldson. Has a BSc in biology. Owning a tourism related business isn't a big leap. Seems to be a very capable person.

13.Scott Fraser. Opened up the bed and breakfast when he and his wife moved to British Columbia.

14.Doug Routley. Owned the store in Vancouver in the 1990s. He was on the bike racing circuit and discovered this specialty racing bike in Europe. He later got to be the North American distributor for the bicycle.

For all that I know, the secretary actually ran the business, but then, isn't that true for every business?
Last edited by Adam T on Apr 19th, 2017, 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

logicalview wrote:
BeingHuman wrote:
Don't believe the Liberal lies about NDP performance in the 1990's, the NDP performed much better than the BC Lib-Cons care to admit. The BC Lib-Cons spread FEAR and MISTRUST, don't believe it and don't buy into it!!!

So then what are people supposed to believe is the reason the NDP was wiped out 77-2? Because they were doing such a good job?

Jimmy Pattison's bought and paid for right wing media did a thorough job brain washing the BC masses?
Last edited by BeingHuman on Apr 19th, 2017, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

BeingHuman wrote:
Jimmy Patterson's bought and paid for right wing media did a thorough job brain washing the BC masses?

Who the hell is Jimmy Patterson?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Adam T

Post by Adam T »

logicalview wrote:

And yet I can't seem to find a post of you saying that to all the people here who support the B.C Liberals because they oppose the B.C N.D.P. Odd.
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

Adam T wrote:
logicalview wrote:

And yet I can't seem to find a post of you saying that to all the people here who support the B.C Liberals because they oppose the B.C N.D.P. Odd.

Exactly Adam T, every time I read logicalview's comments, I just apply them to the BC Liberals, and they make even more sense. :topic:
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Adam T wrote:

Not really that odd at all. In order for the NDP to earn your vote, you would expect them to be better, not just the other guys. That's the issue. The NDP aren't better. Their platform is a throw-back to their failed policies during their reign of terror in the 1990's. The NDP is lazy, and is relying on people like you to just give them their vote, without earning it. That's not right. The NDP needs to be disbanded, at which point the Liberals could truly be held accountable by a party that deserves your vote, for the right reasons, not just because it shows up to the party, funded by a pile of union cash.
Not afraid to say "It".
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

BeingHuman wrote:Jimmy Pattison's bought and paid for right wing media did a thorough job brain washing the BC masses?

And fudged the Statistics Canada information as well? [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Adam T

Post by Adam T »

logicalview wrote:
Adam T wrote:Not really that odd at all. In order for the NDP to earn your vote, you would expect them to be better, not just the other guys. That's the issue. The NDP aren't better. Their platform is a throw-back to their failed policies during their reign of terror in the 1990's. The NDP is lazy, and is relying on people like you to just give them their vote, without earning it. That's not right. The NDP needs to be disbanded, at which point the Liberals could truly be held accountable by a party that deserves your vote, for the right reasons, not just because it shows up to the party, funded by a pile of union cash.

I have some sympathy for this point of view, but there is no guarantee if the NDP loses again that they would reform. On the other hand, if the Liberals lose, I have no doubt Christy Clark will go away.

Glen Clark was a complete disaster, but the Liberals under Christy Clark are no better promoting expensive likely white elephants like Site C and the Richmond-Delta bridge crossing (to be built on silt.)

I don't think that John Horgan would be a disaster as Premier like Glen or Christy Clark and I also think British Columbia can survive four years of an NDP government. The system and the economy are durable enough to handle that, even if a John Horgan NDP government turns out to be as bad as you fear.

Ultimately, I don't regard an election as a championship boxing match, which is exactly what you are claiming it to be.
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

Adam T writes; "The NDP is lazy, and is relying on people like you to just give them their vote, without earning it. That's not right."

So what does that say about a BC Liberal government that sits in the Legislature only 36 out 579 days?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/ ... e14245947/

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”