Clark supports grizzly trophy hunt

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Clark supports grizzly trophy hunt

Post by Fancy »

Another opinion:
In response to if the non-resident hunters would continue to be allowed to hunt grizzly bears, he replied “Yes.”

Then what do non-resident hunters come to B.C. to kill grizzly bears for? Not for sustenance. Whether for sport, or for the trophy, under the NDP’s policy bears will continue to die. It appears that the NDP’s ban on the trophy hunting of grizzly bears is similarly shooting blanks.

http://www.jordanreichert.ca/grizzly-be ... ting-will/
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

Again, the first sentence in your comment refers to grizzly bear hunt; "In response to if the non-resident hunters would continue to be allowed to hunt grizzly bears, he replied “Yes.”

Of course he would say yes to grizzly bear hunting, but he is against grizzly bear TROPHY hunting. If the question asked of him included the word "trophy" Horgan would have replied "NO".

Nice subtle attempt at trying to present a false narrative, but no one here is falling for it fancy.
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

What part didn't you get about "another opinion"?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Btfsplck
Fledgling

Post by Btfsplck »

BeingHuman wrote:In many cases during Grizzly Bear Trophy hunting, the bear's carcass is left to rot on the ground, they usually take just the head and/or the bears paws... a majestic animal life exchanged for someone's cheap thrill.

Just so the anti's know, and I realize it's not a game changer, but nothing rots in the wilderness, nothing. The term 'left to rot' is used to inflame the issue.
That said, I'm not in favour of leaving edible portions in the field. If I shoot it, I eat it.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I'm going on a grizzly bear trophy hunt in a couple of weeks, once the snow melts enough for me to get in there.

My trophies will be, in no particular order...some will depend on harvesting a grizzly bear, most won't:

- time in the wilderness
- organic, free range meat in the freezer to feed my family
- hide to remind me of a special holiday, and to share with interested visitors to my home, educational value to those who have
never seen/touched one up close
- spring in the mountains, and the sights and smells that go along with that
- time with friends and family
- skull to appreciate the size and power of a grizzly bear
- a personal challenge to see if my tired old body can still roam the high mountains
- some time off work
- appreciation of a fine firearm and accurate cartridges I loaded myself
- others too numerous to mention
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If you'd change the firearm to a camera with a long range lens, okay. Organic meat can be bought.
Having a skull and hide is highly over-rated.

Everything on your list can be replaced by the photography tour.

Did you just post that for effect or are you really going :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Queen K wrote:If you'd change the firearm to a camera with a long range lens, okay. Organic meat can be bought.
Having a skull and hide is highly over-rated.

Everything on your list can be replaced by the photography tour.

Did you just post that for effect or are you really going :135:

No, nothing on my list can be replaced with a photography tour.

You are totally disconnected from my internal motivations.

Moreover, managing a wildlife species through sustainable hunting, is the right thing to do for the whole ecosystem. Dr Valerius Geist, who is the preeminent expert on grizzly bears, says we must hunt them to keep their fear of humans intact. Bears with no fear of humans are needlessly dead bears.

And yes, I'm going. I leave tonight to do a bit of pre-hunt scouting and check snow levels, in fact, so you'll be free of my posts for a few days.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

You make a good point Queen K, I have taken the liberty to copy all of Rwede "reasons" for going on a grizzly bear hunt and extracted only the ones that would apply to a grizzly bear hunt and NOT a photographic tour. Here is that list:

- organic, free range meat in the freezer to feed my family
- hide to remind me of a special holiday
- skull to appreciate the size and power of a grizzly bear
- appreciation of a fine firearm and accurate cartridges I loaded myself

These are the reasons Rwede listed that could also apply to a photographic tour:

- time in the wilderness
- spring in the mountains, and the sights and smells that go along with that
- time with friends and family
- a personal challenge to see if my tired old body can still roam the high mountains
- some time off work
- others too numerous to mention

Obviously more than half the reasons Rwede listed also apply to a photographic tour of the wilderness.
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I spend lots of time out there with a camera in the offseason. I even run trail cams just to see what animals are doing when they don't know someone is watching!

Vegan leftists are the last ones who can split a list of hunters' motivations up and categorize them.

My motivations, which when fulfilled are the trophies of my hunt, are unextractable from the experience of the hunt itself. The sights and smells of the outdoors are way different when one is hunting versus taking pictures.

I don't expect a city-slicker leftist to understand that.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Rwede wrote:I spend lots of time out there with a camera in the offseason. I even run trail cams just to see what animals are doing when they don't know someone is watching!

Vegan leftists are the last ones who can split a list of hunters' motivations up and categorize them.

My motivations, which when fulfilled are the trophies of my hunt, are unextractable from the experience of the hunt itself. The sights and smells of the outdoors are way different when one is hunting versus taking pictures.

I don't expect a city-slicker leftist to understand that.

Just to clear things up, I was raised in a hunting home. Fall Whitetail season. Check. Deer hanging out doors to bleed out. Check. Grouse? All the time, a brace of them, It's the new chicken. Fish: Rainbow, Steelhead, Salmon. Firearms in house, taught not to touch them. I'm not even a vegetarian, much less a vegan.

Unfortunately I should have been taught how to clean, load and use but that's the besides the point. I'm only 52 and could start learning any day now. Only it would be for target practice and nothing else. Wildlife is declining World wide this is not a "leftist liberal idea."

Having said all that, there was never and I mean never a time to trophy hunt. Kill it for the sake of killing it for trophy purposes. Use it or let it live. Even the deer hide was used to tie flys for fishing when applicable.

When we hiked into Wall Lake at Waterton Lakes National Park, or Twin Falls at Yoho National Park or dozens of other hikes with camera and bear spray, I prayed I'd never have to use the bear spray. That fear alone would be enough. I have had a bear saunter past my vehicle at Wells Gray Prov. Park and looked it right in the eyes. A chilling experience, even from the car.

There is no difference in being outdoors either with camera or firearms, the sights and smells and bird calls and wild flowers are exactly the same, it's the intent we are quibbling about now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Science is only concerned with the numbers of animals taken versus the number of animals remaining to determine sustainability.

What becomes of the meat, hide, etc afterward has no bearing whatsoever on sustainability. Anything left behind certainly isn't wasted, because there are hundreds of creatures great and small that rely on those bits and pieces to nourish themselves and survive.

Shall I cook up a gopher that I shoot to help a farmer control pests? Should you be legislated to eat that mouse you trap who found his way into your laundry room?

Hunters play a vital role in population regulation of all species. Hunters also contribute 100% of the funds used to monitor and study our species, and to enforce legislation to ensure viable populations.

When you abandon science and replace decisions with tear-filled emotions, you're going to make the wrong decision for wildlife.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

This business of hunters trying to explain their motivation to non-hunters, is pretty much a waste of time. Folks either ‘get’ hunting, or they don’t; and if they don’t, heaven and hell combined is not going to change their minds. Trophy hunting and meat hunting overlap so much, there is really no way to have one without the other -- this includes the Grizzly bear hunt. I know lots of hunters who have had their grouse and fish mounted, but they still fed the meat to their families. I shot black bear thirty years ago – I still have mounts and fond memories of the trips. But we ate the meat and enjoyed every bit of it.

Mankind started hunting when they crawled out of the trees and caves two million years ago – and to this day, it is a primal thing for some men – and many, many women -– to go into the field, and hunt wildlife. Non-hunters will argue that none of that matters – there ought not be any hunting under any circumstances. And they’ll explain this to you while wearing their leather jackets, shoes, and belts, while women they know wear fur and carry leather handbags. And this shortly after sitting down to a dinner of meat that came on a styrofoam tray, wrapped in clear plastic, from a local grocery store. Is killing domestic animals in an abattoir different than in the field? Some video we’ve seen suggests that it’s sometimes worse there. Non-hunting meat eaters, and owners of leather products, are effectivity paying other people to do their killing for them.

I no longer pay attention to anti-hunters. I make sure I respect the game I hunt, follow the law, associate with other hunters who do, too. And I’ve had a long, happy life doing it.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

^^^ Well stated.

So often on social media we see anti-hunters screaming about how killing animals is barbaric, but their profile picture shows them eating a hamburger while sitting on a leather couch.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Killing natural animals is barbaric and totally unnecessary anymore.

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 8th, 2017, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Rwede wrote:^^^ Well stated.

So often on social media we see anti-hunters screaming about how killing animals is barbaric, but their profile picture shows them eating a hamburger while sitting on a leather couch.

and protesting a pipeline while texting on their oil product I-Phone.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”