The direct result of the NDP's $15 minimum wage proposal

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: The direct result of the NDP's $15 minimum wage proposal

Post by krocky »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
krocky wrote:Interesting how it's the same group of Christy Clark BC Liberal Lap Dogs that defend keeping people in poverty .

I still don't even know what this means. "Keeping people in poverty". Why are these people "in poverty"? Why would they depend on anybody, especially government, to "get them out of poverty"? Why can't they help themselves? What is preventing that? What is "poverty"? I don't understand that one either, as per some peoples' definitions, I grew up in poverty too, and yet was just fine, as apparently I didn't have an angry leftist screaming at me that I was supposed to be miserable and blame people for where I was in life.

Yes, it's obvious by your rhetoric that you don't understand a lot of things. And to once again tell us that it's "their own fault" and they are "choosing" poverty when they earn 11 bucks an hour is so luticris that it just confirms this.

The most "Liberal" comments you've made so far is that you grew up poor so so should everyone else. So in the words of Mr Horgan, "come-on man".. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard, how selfish..
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Looking at an issue like this one in a simplistic fashion, e.g. let's raise the minimum wage to help everyone, often has unintended consequences. From Andrew Coyne:

The problem is that simply fixing wages in law doesn’t necessarily force businesses to pay more. If the price of an hour of labour has gone up, the natural and predictable response is to hire fewer hours of labour, at the margin: either take on fewer workers, or give them fewer hours. Those that keep their jobs may do a little better — especially those earning more than the minimum, who face less competitive pressure to temper their own wage demands — but at the cost of those priced out of work.
http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comme ... money-will
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

krocky wrote:Yes, it's obvious by your rhetoric that you don't understand a lot of things.

Well, I don't understand why its the government's fault if you feel you aren't happy with where you are in life. Blaming everyone but yourself seems to me to be a loser's proposition, in that you will never find happiness anywhere at any rate of pay, if you don't first find out what you need to do to improve yourself, and find what makes you happy. Blaming everyone else will just lead to nothing but despair and a life of bitterness, and voting NDP.

And to once again tell us that it's "their own fault" and they are "choosing" poverty when they earn 11 bucks an hour is so luticris that it just confirms this.

And yet that's not what I am saying. I am saying only you can help you. It's no one's fault if you aren't happy, other than you. You have to make yourself happy. And anyone who says otherwise is just plain being fake or trying to sell you something. This is one of the reasons I really can't stand the NDP and their loser ideology. It's not the nanny state's responsibility to make you happy. It's yours. And yours alone.

The most "Liberal" comments you've made so far is that you grew up poor so so should everyone else. ..

That's literally the dumbest interpretation of what I've been saying by a mile. I said that I apparently grew up poor according to some of the sad-sack losers and "poverty screamers" I've seen posting here. But we were happy, even though we didn't have much. And you know what, we figured out how to get out of this "poverty" you claim we were living in, without becoming bitter, or relying on the government, or some nonsensical leftists filling our heads with communist garbage. What an achievement.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

:dash: :dash: :dash:
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

krocky wrote::dash: :dash: :dash:

Not sure what this means, but ok, what's your proposition? That the government intervene and force companies like Rona to pay my nephew far more than he is worth? And what about all of the other people in the chain that now have to get raises, as it's not fair that my nephew, knowing nothing, suddenly gets a $4 an hour raise? So then Rona starts laying people off enmass, and closing stores, and somehow that's better? Now my nephew has no job. This is better? Suddenly everyone is "happy" because of this?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
krocky wrote::dash: :dash: :dash:

Not sure what this means, but ok, what's your proposition? That the government intervene and force companies like Rona to pay my nephew far more than he is worth? And what about all of the other people in the chain that now have to get raises, as it's not fair that my nephew, knowing nothing, suddenly gets a $4 an hour raise? So then Rona starts laying people off enmass, and closing stores, and somehow that's better? Now my nephew has no job. This is better? Suddenly everyone is "happy" because of this?

GB you have to remember that in a union rooted mentality, demanding twice what the business can support, and after some vicious negotiation getting the contract, only to see the business move production to Mexico or Thailand, within a short time thereafter, is considered a win.

You have to know how to speak NDP. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 8th, 2017, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Heaven forbid that we could expect businesses to be socially responsible
Just because wages went up.

And there's the rub. The business community always wants to rule,
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Krocky was actually representing Clark's three terms in office.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:Krocky was actually representing Clark's three terms in office.
She's had TWO terms if you count the period between 2011 and 2013 and the period between 2013 and 2017. Are you conceding this election and giving Clark a third term?
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

No.

Any third term would just be more of the same.

Vote Green and you get Clark.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

George+ wrote:Krocky was actually representing Clark's three terms in office.

Glen Clark was only in power for one term if memory serves. Why did he have to leave office again? What was that all about?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

George+ wrote:Heaven forbid that we could expect businesses to be socially responsible

heaven forbid that this province ever hands over the power to retired leftist school teachers the right to determine the definition of "social responsibility" and also the power to enforce such nonsense. Good bye BC economy!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It's very painful for you to bear GB, but we still need protest votes of some sort in the Okanagan riding that votes Socred er Liberal every time. As for the minimum wage being $15 /hour, that's incredibly short sighted for small and large retailers in the age of on-line shopping.

People need living wages, on-line shopping is killing jobs and not everyone is white collar material. In fact, quite the opposite, I'd say the retirement rates in the trades are pushing people into more math and computer based educations to keep up the the new requirements in trades. Added to this many entry level jobs which would be teaching fiscal responsibility to young people are being killed off by automation. So sad for them.

The aging population needs people to be working and paying in to the system. TFSAs encourage people not to pay anything. RSPs are dead in water, money that was paid tax on will be taxed later for a small return in the here and now.

Land is being sold to foreign entities because we think the only thing going is to profit once off it. Not ask what it can do for Canada later.

Tuition costs are rising and crushing students. I KNOW what you and I did GB, but it's gone beyond that now.

Who to vote for?
Last edited by Queen K on May 8th, 2017, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

rustled wrote:No one among my family, extended family, or immediate circle of friends has earned minimum wage as an adult. (Other than my sister who started there but has been given respectful raises by her employer, a large corporation with more human decency than some of the posters here.) Some of us didn't finish high school, most of us have no post-secondary. I'm counting at ages from verging on retirement to teens. Even the teens are earning more than minimum wage.

I don't really know what to say to this. I've made minimum wage my entire life as have a lot of other people I know. I guess we know vastly different people. But if people here are so convinced that no one earns minimum wage then why not roll it back to $8/h? I mean, no one earns it anyway and it'd help businesses apparently, so why not.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”