Stats Can: BC Leads Country in GDP Growth in 2016

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
Gone_Fishin
Guru

Stats Can: BC Leads Country in GDP Growth in 2016

Post by Gone_Fishin »

BC Leads Country in GDP Growth in 2016, Reports Stats Canada

Monday, May 1st, 2017 9:57am

Most of the country saw at least some growth to its gross domestic product last year, but Stats Canada says the pacific province had the largest jump.

For the second year in a row, BC lead the country in GDP growth, rising by 3.7% in 2016.

That follows strong numbers from 2015 that saw a 3.1 increase.

Stats Canada says a large portion of last year's numbers come from the Lower Mainland, lead by a 17% hike in residential construction, and a 5.4% jump in retail trade.

Other areas of strength across BC include manufacturing output (5.8% increase), and electricity generation and transmission (4.7%).

snip

Our neighbours to the east did not fare well, as Alberta's GDP fell by 3.8% in 2016, marking the first time since the early-1980's that their economy fell in two consecutive years.

Nationally, Canada's GDP grew by 1.3 percent.

- David Opinko / with files from Stats Canada

http://www.summit107.com/news/east-koot ... ts-canada/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“I am looking straight at Canadians and being honest the way I always have. We will balance that budget in 2019.” ~ Justin Trudeau
Veovis
Guru

Re: Stats Can: BC Leads Country in GDP Growth in 2016

Post by Veovis »

Haven't given up yet Fishen, didn't you know that even though BC is doing well it is actually horrible.

The only solution is to elect the NDP pour all the gas ever on everything and just burn it all to the ground.

You know.....to make it better.

The logic is wonderful, we have pains in BC from the odd shot foot and a bad knee, and sometimes it gives us a headache and people seem to think the best cure for a headache is shooting yourself in the head.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Yes yes.
Only the NDP can possibly rescue us from all this economic prosperity, high standard of living, and outstanding educational system.
I simply can't wait for next week......
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

So, under the BC Liberals, we lead the country in GDP growth for two years running.

Under the NDP, Alberta is last in GDP growth for two years running.

Sound familiar? BC was dead last under the NDP in the 1990s, too. And Horgan wants to put BC right back there, with his recycled 1990s policy book.

Real Per Capita GDP Growth 1992 - 2000

Nfld: 33.6%
SK: 27.3%
AB: 27%
ON: 24.2%
PQ: 22.3%
NB: 21.6%

PEI: 18.6%
MB: 17.5%
NS: 16.2%

BC: 5.3%

Source: Statistics Canada, Provincial Economic Accounts
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I'm waiting to see how they manage to twist those stats. :biggrin: You can be assured they will.

Oh wait the NDP had to weather the Asian crisis. [icon_lol2.gif] That's the one economists said had barely any effect on us.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
Gone_Fishin
Guru

Post by Gone_Fishin »

BC's current, country-lowest 5.1% unemployment rate is totally unacceptable, too. The NDP had a 10% welfare rate in the 1990s here - and hey, 10 is way more than 5.1, so the NDP is better, right?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“I am looking straight at Canadians and being honest the way I always have. We will balance that budget in 2019.” ~ Justin Trudeau

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”