Horgan Dodges questions on how he'd pay for health care.

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
What_the
Übergod

Re: Horgan Dodges questions on how he'd pay for health care.

Post by What_the »

I don't really know, what other than health care should be the top of the list of budget expenditures.

How is it paid for?
With federal and provincial tax revenue.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Yes, taxes that Horgan let slip will be applied to anyone whose income is higher than 60-70K.

It's not so much the tax concept even, as it is giving voters a precise figure before the election. People have a right to know what they are voting for.

Is he going to jack up our taxes 2% 5% 10% 20% or is he just going to spin a wheel and throw a dart at some percentage figures?

Sounds more like the latter to me, but regardless the point is the NDP has had eons of time to come up with a platform, and figure out how to pay for their promises.

It's not too much to ask for particularly if you wish to earn the vote of a citizen.

I tend to suspect it has to be a significant increase in taxes, as that would explain his dodging the question repeatedly, because he knows he'll lose votes if it's too ridiculous, and that suggests it is.

One thing I do know, is I've never seen anyone elected, on the basis of "we'll figure it out after we win the election".
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Old Techie wrote:
One thing I do know, is I've never seen anyone elected, on the basis of "we'll figure it out after we win the election".

It's just pure laziness, an NDP trademark. They don't want to ever do the work. They don't even know how to budget. It's just spend spend spend and whatever the cost is, that's the cost. Taxes will be jacked to the moon of course, but they will radically outspend the increased tax revenue, and then they will stand there dumb-founded when tax revenues actually start dropping instead of increasing as they continue to put the squeeze on the remaining suckers who haven't slashed capital budgets to the bone or just left all together.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Horgan's failure to explain to voters how he will pay for his promises is costing him support:

A new poll has the provincial election race tightening.

The Mainstreet/Postmedia poll gives the BC NDP a 4-point lead province-wide among decided voters, down from a 10-point lead in their previous poll, which came out on April 25.
http://www.cknw.com/2017/05/03/latest-p ... e-to-call/
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Urbane wrote:Horgan's failure

Sounds like the title of the book he'll be writing on May 10th.

His naming anyone over $60,000 as a high income earner that will be paying significantly more income tax should drive the final nail into the orange coffin.

"I'll bring my own Leap Manifesto in, and those rich tycoons who make over $60,000 will be paying dearly for it!"
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Urbane wrote:Horgan's failure to explain to voters how he will pay for his promises is costing him support:

A new poll has the provincial election race tightening.

The Mainstreet/Postmedia poll gives the BC NDP a 4-point lead province-wide among decided voters, down from a 10-point lead in their previous poll, which came out on April 25.
http://www.cknw.com/2017/05/03/latest-p ... e-to-call/

As it darn well should. He needs to put on his big boy pants, and tell us how much he will raise taxes to pay for his agenda.

If he can't do that, well then he certainly isn't Premier material.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Only four days left Johnny boy!

Don't be shy....tell us how high our taxes will have to go up for your platform to be fully costed out!
We "high rolling" middle class types need to know how much less we will be taking home in the years to come. :cuss:
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

If you base it on the most recent long serving NDP provincial government - the Manitoba NDP - who got to fully implement the NDP approach (Notley doesn't count yet, not enough time), then the provincial income tax increase will be well north of 40%, and not just for the "wealthy" - for everybody.

The base rate for lower income folks in BC is 5.07%, the base rate in Manitoba is 10.8%. That's over a 100% increase for lower income folks (up to $38,000).

The next bracket in Manitoba goes to $68,000 and is 12.75% - hitting the middle income folks hard compared to BC (remember, the BC tax on the first $38,000 would only be 5.07% not 10.8%) which is at 7.7% up to $78,000.

Anything over $68,000 gets hit with a 17.4% income tax rate. That snares more of the middle class and everyone above. The top rate in BC is 14.7% - over $108,000.

Even adding in the 2017 MSP rates, Manitoba is way heavier on taxes, BC with MSP + income tax always works out much lower cost. And guess what? Manitoba social programs are no better, and their education ranking is worse.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”