Vote Agriculture over Illegal Winery heli tours

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Re: Vote Agriculture over Illegal Winery heli tours

Post by lasnomadas »

The usual suspects are out here in force again, defending the indefensible and making :cuss: remarks directed at people who are disgusted with our present provincial government. EZGuy makes a valid point. More and more, residents of 'wine country' are being subjected to intrusive practices by wineries that moved into their communities long after they were residents of the area.

I actually had to sell my home (at a loss) and move to another location when a vineyard suddenly appeared next door where previously there was nothing but natural desert landscape in which many birds and other wildlife depended upon (but that's another story). Anyway, the resulting explosions of propane cannons from dawn to dusk was more than my family could withstand. I don't think the BC Liberals' love of booze tax dollars should override the rights of the citizens of B.C.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 8th, 2017, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

lasnomadas wrote: EZGuy makes a valid point. .

I agree. Time to get rid of the ALR, another legacy of the horrible Barrett NDP government.
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

That's interesting though, I did not realize that the heli tours at wineries were illegal. If it is illegal why is it happening?
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

*removed* The property I referred to was NOT in the ALR, so what's your point?
Last edited by ferri on May 8th, 2017, 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: baiting
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 8th, 2017, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to bait
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Old Techie wrote:
Are you suggesting the helicopter ride is free?.

Sounds like the only free ride is from transport Canada, the city, the provincial Government and whoever else if these helicopters are in fact operating illegally and not following the regulations with any consequences.
Gone_Fishin
Guru

Post by Gone_Fishin »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Not sure what this means. If people "got real" I think there would be a whole lot less complaining.

If people "got real" there would be no one voting NDP. I think everyone should "get real!"
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Let's go Justin!
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

For the sake of some of the hardcore liberal supporters, I hope a loss doesn't become real. I am not sure how they would take it. I think both candidates and sides equal out so will not be voting and really don't care. Party neutral is it?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I simply feel that this was and is agricultural country, first and foremost. A retirement mecca for seniors comes secondary, and tourism probably third.

Business constantly has to evolve to keep up with the times. I'm sure at one point in time people didn't go helicopter skiing either. With all the land that is forced to be in the ALR the owners have to find something lucrative to do with it, given they can't subdivide and build condos.

If I wanted total peace and quiet I'd find a location much better suited to it than Kelowna which has become a big city.

Just look at the growth at the airport over the last twenty years.

Anyone who wants quiet is in the wrong town. Fernie might be a bit better suited.

The way I see it people have two choices, either be prepared to give a little, and get along with your neighbors be they residential, commercial, whatever, or find some isolated spot away from everyone.

It simply sounds to me like the rules need to catch up with agricultural trends.

It's one thing if the chopper is hovering over your bedroom at midnight, but totally different if during daylight business hours.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

EZGuy wrote:Don't forget the Liberals gave certain vineries your tax dollars to help them market - see Castanet bc funds booze marketing https://www.castanet.net/news//news/Pen ... -marketing.

Vote for the preservation of agriculture, vote for a change.

You have some sort of issue with the government trying to help local business diversify?

True NDP, another thing to add to the "no" list of things to stop.

Let's ban helicopters altogether.

While we're at, it ban tourists too, they make noise, and we don't need their money anyway.

I think all our lives would be much simpler, and better, if we just go for the head of the snake, and ban the NDP!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Gone_Fishin wrote:
The Green Barbarian wrote:Not sure what this means. If people "got real" I think there would be a whole lot less complaining.

If people "got real" there would be no one voting NDP. I think everyone should "get real!"

Ummm, ya. :raspberry: Someone has to cancel out your vote. It's a toss up between Grizzley hunter or you.
Don't want iced up driveways and roads? Clean out the street drains and gutters. Used to be called "civic duty."
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Where does it say that it is illegal for a helicopter to land and depart on ALR land
Ladies and gentlemen, the future lies in the future!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GenesisGT wrote:Where does it say that it is illegal for a helicopter to land and depart on ALR land

I'm curious about that too. There are farmers who own their own planes, and have their own grass landing strip.

I think Dizzy1 might have a bit more insight into this.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
EZGuy wrote:
Most residents located near wineries are fed up with the noisy intrusion over our homes just so some Donald & Melania Trump wannabes can thrill ride to winery on a helicopter to pick up a few bottles. .

I live near wineries and I am ok with it. I like to smile and wave to the nice people as they fly over, bringing hundreds and even perhaps thousands of dollars of investment to our area. Good for them, and good for all those who support these worthy ventures, instead of being consumed by envy, bitterness and hate.

I would argue that the NDP's ALR has a great deal to do with tourists still coming to the Okanagan for wine, cider and crafted alcohol tours. Just think that with out the ALR developers would have moved in and bulldozed all the land currently supporting wineries all over the Okanagan Valley. About the only thing making the Okanagan Valley distinctive from the rest of BC is still having open vistas and views from East Kelowna to West Kelowna. Just think if it was a sea of development.

What would tourists want to see then?

Vineyards/Orchards = Tourism
Win/Win.
Don't want iced up driveways and roads? Clean out the street drains and gutters. Used to be called "civic duty."

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”