Sandbagging thread.

Graham Adder
Guru

Re: Sandbagging thread.

Post by Graham Adder »

No reason this contaminated sand couldn't be used in all of our concrete needs for the next while, is there?
Shouldn't be anything airborne that a dust mask couldn't take care of, and likely nothing worse than what that industry already deals with as far as airborne particulates.
Anything of concern woulds surely be killed off in the process, with the caustic components to concrete.
Am I wrong?
Can it not be used safely in concrete?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Well. It could. But the dirtier the sand/gravel is the weaker the concrete.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Not sure septic field contaminants would be ideal to work with.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Just drove past Gyro and Rotary beaches at 3:30 pm and the wave action is pounding the gabions.

Lots of kite surfers out there, lots of vechicles parked in the parking lots, people taking photos that sort of thing.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Approximately 1.7 million sandbags, equalling 1,500 truckloads of sand were delivered in the Central Okanagan during the flooding crisis.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#199699
That's just for the Central Okanagan - wonder how many in total for the entire lake.
PuppyLove

Post by PuppyLove »

1.7 million sand bags for the Central Okanagan?

I thought they just finished saying it was 3 million for Kelowna?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Maybe 3 million for all the jurisdictions, that would make more sense.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

So far I've heard two reasons not to dump the sand right at the beach. One it's contaminated which makes me wonder what happens every time it rains and there's run off into the lake. The second is its not local sand. Well what genius couldn't find local sand? We have a sand pit right in the center of West Kelowna.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Poindexter wrote:So far I've heard two reasons not to dump the sand right at the beach. One it's contaminated which makes me wonder what happens every time it rains and there's run off into the lake. The second is its not local sand. Well what genius couldn't find local sand. We have a sand quarry right in the center of West Kelowna. Either way it seems like an added expense for no reason and I'm grumpy about it.
:-X

So does local sand then somehow mix with foreign sand to have mixed offspring sand. lol
Secondly which idiot would use possible contaminated sand for sandbagging, which once wet would leach back into the lake (since sandbags are porous). If so that was brilliant move by whomever provided the sand.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Poindexter wrote:So far I've heard two reasons not to dump the sand right at the beach. One it's contaminated which makes me wonder what happens every time it rains and there's run off into the lake. The second is its not local sand. Well what genius couldn't find local sand? We have a sand pit right in the center of West Kelowna.

Some places will have contaminated sandbags because of the septic fields. There have been warnings posted of contaminated water.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

So only some areas with septic contamination require special disposal of sand bags? Must have missed that.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Poindexter wrote:So only some areas with septic contamination require special disposal of sand bags? Must have missed that.

I would expect all areas with septic contamination would require special disposal of sandbags if they are serious about it.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Sorry, didnt mean to imply only some areas with contamination would require special disposal of sandbags, just that only some areas have contamination.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Luciw stresses that protective barriers around the lake stay in place.

"Residents should still keep protective measures in place, however the BC Wildlife Service crews will be in the Burne Avenue area as well as downtown Kelowna removing sandbags. We no longer have a concern for the homes and businesses east of Pandosy, but everything west is still a concern, Luciw said.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#199803

Still over 2 feet of water to drop. Some sandbags will still be around for a long while yet.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Sunday I observed a flat deck trailer with 4 pallets of sandbags headed for the old Enterprise Steel site. The pallets were not wrapped nor were they strapped down. Today I dodged sandbags in the Dilworth/Harvey intersection as well as the Dilworth/Enterprise intersection and observed the same trailer pulling into the "sandbag depot" with another unsecured load that had actual sandbags hanging off the trailer. Is there anyone policing this sandbag removal?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent

Return to “Flooding 2017”