Sandbagging thread.

Graham Adder
Guru

Re: Sandbagging thread.

Post by Graham Adder »

If sandbags from an area we can call "A", are contaminated with filth and fester, then is the "native" sand in the water and on the beaches not contaminated with the exact same filth and fester?
If the "native" sand is contaminated, yet it is being left to be "cleansed" by natural process, would the exact same process not be adequate for the "non-native" sand were it to be cut from the bags to replenish the lost sands from those areas the sandbags are placed?

Was this sand brought in not taken from right here close to home on a hillside or pit?
That should surely make that sand "native" enough to use on local beaches.
I think it's a bit of a stretch to hold great concern on the origin of the sand, so long as it is not contaminated with worse things than we're already facing.

This "clean up and bury the evidence" approach to ridding our city of millions of sand bags seems to me to be quite possibly a huge waste of money, resources and time.

"We can't use contaminated sand where we have contaminated sand."

Hmmmmmmmm... :135:
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ya this is a no brainer put the sand on the beaches
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Some sandbags have been sitting in septic fields - others have not.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Fancy wrote:Some sandbags have been sitting in septic fields - others have not.

So, the ones sitting in a septic field should certainly face the fate of being buried alive and festering.
The other few million or more should be gutted on the beach.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

At least that way some people will get a beach.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I wondered what kind of sand was in the bags. I also wondered what the city did with all the salt spiked street sweeper sand after winter. Hmmmmm
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen is asking private property owners to hold off on tearing down sandbag walls, because the provincial government is footing the bill.

More than 500,000 sandbags have been distributed throughout the region, and residents are asked to not empty sandbags along the banks or foreshore of any creeks, rivers or lakes. Instead, the RDOS says the province will be paying local governments to remove full sandbags.

“We are incredibly grateful to the province for covering the costs incurred by local governments for the removal of sandbags from private properties,” said Karla Kozakevich, RDOS chair, in a news release.

“Residents should keep sandbags in place for now. Local governments will be organizing clean up teams to remove sandbags in the near future. Residents will be advised once the programs are developed as to the potential steps and timelines.”

Sand dumped in or along waterways can have serious impacts on the local ecosystem, many which are habitat for endangered or rare species.

Residents can use the soil on their property well away from creeks and lake, but if the sandbags have come into contact with bacteria, chemicals or oils, getting the sand and sandbags off your property is advised.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#199893
smoky500
Fledgling

Post by smoky500 »

The sand we received from the RDOS was not the kind of sand you would wand on a beach, it is more of a "crush" they would use for construction fill, (actually delivered by Argo road maintenance) and full of little rocks/pebbles.
sps60

Post by sps60 »

how would this be any different the the current beach of small pebbles and ducks and geese using the sand as a toilet. Now i could see if this was last years road waste of salt and gravel but i saw some of them and it didn't appear to be that way.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

smoky500 wrote:The sand we received from the RDOS was not the kind of sand you would wand on a beach, it is more of a "crush" they would use for construction fill, (actually delivered by Argo road maintenance) and full of little rocks/pebbles.

The fact it was from Argo and contained rocks confirms it's their road sand - lots of drivers have replaced their windshields after a winter of driving on roads that have been "sanded".
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Since flooding began in early May, two million sandbags have been installed as part of the flood protection measures across the Central Okanagan.

On Wednesday, the regional district launched a digital tool that uses crowd sourcing to help inventory the number, location and type of sandbags on private and public property.

This data will be used for planning and assessment of the demobilization of flood-protection measures. As plans are developed, information on the removal of sandbags, including debris management, will be posted at cordemergency.ca.

"It will take a lot of resources to bring all the sandbags back that aren't needed. This app will help us make an inventory of what type of sandbags are out there and help us plan for the response of how we can get crews out there," said CORD information officer Laura Wilson.

"If the public are interested in moving the sandbags themselves, they can take them to the Cook Street boat launch in the Lower Mission, and crews will dispose of them," she added.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#200064
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Today's Tip:

If anyone ropes you into helping remove sandbags, and you see that they are the green tarp material bags, run.
They are much bigger and heavier than the white plastic tarp type as well as the leaky, flimsy, burlap type.

My back makes me drink. :130:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Got a variety to deal with - no problem.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Curious thing went for walk today along Pandosy heading south, I notice sandbags along a store just north of Subway (near KLO). I don't recall hearing that area was flooded, or was the store owner just being over precaution.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dasandman

Post by dasandman »

Just wondering why Manteo Beach Resort is dumping their sandbags on the beach, when everyone has been told not too. They were dumping today.

Return to “Flooding 2017”