Sandbagging thread.

Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Sandbagging thread.

Post by Jflem1983 »

Even Steven wrote:Some old lady asked me if I'd be willing to go fill up roughly 200 sand bags for her, bring it to her house, and put them up for awesome $100.

Like seriously? That's like an entire weekend worth of work for $100 minus my gas, vehicle use, etc. Less than minimum wage.

Just because you're in a flood zone doesn't mean you get to be a cheap *bleep* and everybody is supposed to help you free of charge.

I hope you are kidding . If not I think you are lower than sand bags . Be a respectable man . Do it for free . Never mind birch about 100 dollars . Are you crippled . It's an old lady . Do the right thing . .maybe life will smile on you . Personally I've helped a bun h of people with sand bags in this flood . If I wasn't busy I'd do more . Please if you can't contribute to the community . Don't call Down an old lady trying to hire your lazy behind
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

Queen K wrote:Even, that old lady remembers when people her age would work for 0.25 cents an hour, all day.
Be kind, she's not that at all, just doesn't realize how the values of things have changed.
Also, she may have dementia or on-set and is going back in time.
No need to be unkind.

Sadly QK she knows exactly what she's offering. She knows the work involved and really the dollars are just a gesture. I may get slapped but the comment in saying an old person doesn't know because they are old just doesn't fly. They hope there are ppl that think this. They are the whipper snippers out there and they just know, I think highly of the elderly and their accumulated years if knowledge and experience... Highly respect them in fact.

Not to say we would not help but let's not think they just don't know.
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Even Steven wrote:If she asked nicely, I'd help her. But instead she tried to offer sub-standard pay while her house is worth many times over what is mine worth. She might have as well called me a Black and told me to go to work for a bowl of rice.

Would take you all weekend... That there is the problem right there...
I tell everyone..I think everyone should do a few months of sawmill board piling, and a few months of construction laborer... Before they go on to their chosen career...give them Real perspective...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Does not matter to me that she knows..
Some people are just asking for help, and a lot of people are willing to help because, perhaps they have a sense of community.
I respect that she at least offered to pay..
When I was younger I was more concerned about money, now its more secondary, much less of an issue.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

perspicacious wrote:
Queen K wrote:Even, that old lady remembers when people her age would work for 0.25 cents an hour, all day.
Be kind, she's not that at all, just doesn't realize how the values of things have changed.
Also, she may have dementia or on-set and is going back in time.
No need to be unkind.

Sadly QK she knows exactly what she's offering. She knows the work involved and really the dollars are just a gesture. I may get slapped but the comment in saying an old person doesn't know because they are old just doesn't fly. They hope there are ppl that think this. They are the whipper snippers out there and they just know, I think highly of the elderly and their accumulated years if knowledge and experience... Highly respect them in fact.

Not to say we would not help but let's not think they just don't know.

No I said she may have on-set of dementia. Seems you know her though whereas the rest of us are guessing.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

200 sandbags is a few hours . 75 dollars an hour or so . Hire me
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

Queen K wrote:
No I said she may have on-set of dementia. Seems you know her though whereas the rest of us are guessing.

Not likely... I'm working with the same comment as you are. Your post didn't say that she probably had dementia you assumed that. I think a 75 yrs old woman in a home is likely doing not too bad. It's an assumption - yes but we are all working on the same platform.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh I work with the elderly in their 70s all the time and you never know what mental health or condition they're in. It's not necessarily an age thing.

So did she genuinely try to rip off Even Steven or does she simply not know the value of work these days in terms of what it costs to run a truck and get physical labour?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

Me thinks you're correct QK.

I think she's just a nice old lady humbly looking for help and feels bad asking. Notwithstanding I think anyone would help her out with no need for financial benefit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Even Steven wrote:Some old lady asked me if I'd be willing to go fill up roughly 200 sand bags for her, bring it to her house, and put them up for awesome $100.

Like seriously? That's like an entire weekend worth of work for $100 minus my gas, vehicle use, etc. Less than minimum wage.

Just because you're in a flood zone doesn't mean you get to be a cheap *bleep* and everybody is supposed to help you free of charge.

So no need for Even to call her bad names? That's my thing, and I have no idea where she lives, how big her house is or if she's even in need of 200 bags (might be more, who knows). But that she offered $100 is either trying on purpose to rip off this nice young man or she's living in a house that cost her next to nothing when she was working and is now on a pension of sorts which does nothing to actually show the actual value of the house and she may even be needing to sell it sooner than later. I know nothing of her in other words. Some people watched their property taxes skyrocket which had nothing to do with them or their income or lack thereof. Her income small, but big valuable house full of stuff they can't even deal with (I see that all the time).
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Exactly that happens a lot.
A guy know was a tradesman. Worked all the time.
Bought a lot on Pritchard, and built a modest house.. Lived in there for probably 40 plus years.
When I knew him he was in his 70,s and retired.
By that time the property value had risen dramatically, but now they are both no longer working.
Now the taxes have risen to a very high rate, so maybe things got tough.
Not everyone plans for their taxes being as high yearly as what they paid for their land..
But when that happens everyone assumes you are rich.... And land rich you are.
Some of these folks, dont get caught up on their taxes, till they die and the property gets sold.

So just saying things are not always what they appear to be, and some younger folks dont understand that...... yet....
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Queen K wrote:Oh I work with the elderly in their 70s all the time and you never know what mental health or condition they're in. It's not necessarily an age thing.

So did she genuinely try to rip off Even Steven or does she simply not know the value of work these days in terms of what it costs to run a truck and get physical labour?

Yeah but hey it's easier to just call people names and assume they're trying to rip someone off or scrounge.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

For all I know she was trying to rip him off, but .....
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:
Would take you all weekend... That there is the problem right there...
I tell everyone..I think everyone should do a few months of sawmill board piling, and a few months of construction laborer... Before they go on to their chosen career...give them Real perspective...

Add working on a farm to that list.

If I knew where she was located I'd get some of my entourage together and get her some sandbags and

put em wherever she wants em.

No one should ever judge...we don't know what kind of life she's had or situation she might be in.

What goes on in a persons private life is just exactly that...private.

Even if she does live in a big fancy house...maybe she's struggling to make ends meet.

Nun my bidness...she needs help.

Me and my cohorts could come help her...PM me if you know how to reach her.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Anyone that hasn't sandbagged doesn't have a clue the work involved. Turn an offer down graciously instead of being offended. Forestry working hard all over the place - those young people are amazing.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Flooding 2017”