Sandbagging thread.

tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: Sandbagging thread.

Post by tsayta »

Off Topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Jun 3rd, 2017, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Anyone needing sandbags there are still lots of sand and bags available at some spots. Passed one area that had multiple vehicles loading up.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I noticed a big sandbagging operation going on at the old Enterprise Steel site this afternoon.
About 4:45 and they were still giving err.
They may been the redshirts... Fire suppression crew.
Kudos to them for all the work they have done..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Forestry crews have been working hard filling sandbags, throwing the bags on trucks and working to protecting homes, structures and roads. Wish I could share my pictures. Great group of people!!!!
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Hydrometrics seem to suggest Lake has peaked
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/rea ... tn=08NM083
We've been keeping an eye on that but won't take anything for granted for another week.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Okanagan Lake could peak half a metre higher than what was originally predicted.

Environment Canada measured the lake at 343.24 on Monday, an increase of a centimetre over 24 hours.

Although the rise is slower than it has been in recent days, the regional district says it now bases flood protection planning on a lake level of 343.5 metres, up 50 cm over initial estimates in early May.

District officials advise lakeside property owners to increase sandbag defences to reflect the higher estimate, and also to ensure makeshift dams include another half-metre of extra height to protect against wave action.

Estimates show the snowpack is decreasing at higher elevations, but the district says about 50 per cent of the snow hasn't melted, raising the threat of further flooding, especially when coupled with heavy rains.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#198692
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Okanagan Lake measured at 343.23 metres yesterday morning and the Central Okanagan Regional District is advising property owners living along the lake or its waterways to maintain flood protection and increase the height of sandbag dikes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4146617

Appears the water level is dropping or this one was taken earlier in the day.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

I am surprised that many lakefront homeowners seem to be relying solely on volunteers, emergency personnel and charity groups for their sandbagging. Maybe it's just not making the news, but I know if my home was being threatened by floodwaters, I wouldn't be leaving it up to the goodwill of others to protect my investment. I would think there are contractors or handyman companies that would appreciate the work and maybe even do a more effective job of building a secure sandbag wall.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There are many folks who are doing their own work and when volunteers offer, why not accept? The work is far from being over.
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

The clean up will be a big pain in the butt, once this situation is all over with!! :200:
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

totoramona wrote:I am surprised that many lakefront homeowners seem to be relying solely on volunteers, emergency personnel and charity groups for their sandbagging. Maybe it's just not making the news, but I know if my home was being threatened by floodwaters, I wouldn't be leaving it up to the goodwill of others to protect my investment. I would think there are contractors or handyman companies that would appreciate the work and maybe even do a more effective job of building a secure sandbag wall.

Not everyone can afford the expense - despite the assumptions by a number of posters that anyone living on the lake has more money than they know what to do with. Sandbagging also isn't exactly a trade - and I've personally never heard of anything like the "Okanagan Sandbagging Corp." Anyone in the building sector is already going flat out and not in need of the additional work - especially sandbagging.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

WalterWhite wrote:
totoramona wrote:I am surprised that many lakefront homeowners seem to be relying solely on volunteers, emergency personnel and charity groups for their sandbagging. Maybe it's just not making the news, but I know if my home was being threatened by floodwaters, I wouldn't be leaving it up to the goodwill of others to protect my investment. I would think there are contractors or handyman companies that would appreciate the work and maybe even do a more effective job of building a secure sandbag wall.

Not everyone can afford the expense - despite the assumptions by a number of posters that anyone living on the lake has more money than they know what to do with. Sandbagging also isn't exactly a trade - and I've personally never heard of anything like the "Okanagan Sandbagging Corp." Anyone in the building sector is already going flat out and not in need of the additional work - especially sandbagging.

Yes if you live on the lake you are richer than God. Yes the folks who do live on the lake are very fortunate . Yes they certainly can afford to hire someone .

Unfortunately. We all can guess they likely have top notch insurance . Most of them are likely hoping f9r damage as the payouts will be astronomical. Just like in 03
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

really ?? people living on the lake dealing with serious flooding are hoping for damage to get a higher insurance pay out ??

what's in your coffee this morning ???
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Jflem1983 wrote:Yes if you live on the lake you are richer than God. Yes the folks who do live on the lake are very fortunate . Yes they certainly can afford to hire someone .

You've been told that's not true as far as people living on the lake being rich so why perpetuate the misinformation? I just hope those that own places don't lose them and continue to monitor the lake level. Sandbags take a beating too with all the wave action.

Return to “Flooding 2017”