Compensation for flooding??

Graham Adder
Guru

Re: Compensation for flooding??

Post by Graham Adder »

Fancy wrote:
Graham Adder wrote:The ONLY compensation for flooding should be an info-pack informing how to stack sandbags and what flood zone, high water and snowpack mean.
That's not compensation and video on how to sandbag was already posted online.

It is compensation. There is a lot of value in a good info-pack.
It takes resources, time, effort and financial backing to promote such a project.
I don't care if the info was out before. It's obvious to me that those who should have been watching, reading and listening weren't.
That's the value in this compensation package. It's solid info brought right to your doorstep. That's got value!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Does not compensate for anything. Has zero value when it is already available online.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Fancy wrote:Does not compensate for anything. Has zero value when it is already available online.

What has zero value, is your structures on or at the water.
Mother Nature and myself don't care if they get washed away again, so go ahead rebuild.
Floating debris is hard to sell.
That's zero value.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Graham Adder wrote:What has zero value, is your structures on or at the water.
Mother Nature and myself don't care if they get washed away again, so go ahead rebuild.
Floating debris is hard to sell.
That's zero value.

What are you talking about?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Get back on topic please! Compensation for flooding??
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Events Eligible for Disaster Financial Assistance

Those impacted by the following recent disaster or emergency event(s) may be eligible to apply for disaster financial assistance.

Type of event: Severe weather

Date of Event: May 4, 2017 to (end date: to be determined)
Central Okanagan Regional District (including all electoral areas, municipalities and first nation communities within the CORD)

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safet ... assistance

There is a deadline.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Any building/structure built on known flood plain should never be eligible for Provincial or Federal funds in the case of flooding. Its not a disaster if it's known to happen.
"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
I don't care whether people like me or dislike me. I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
swamp1967

Post by swamp1967 »

With regards to the story: https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/198371/Covenant-limits-city-liability, what is the source of this? I looked at the City of Kelowna website and didn't see any mention in the community plan or elsewhere on the website. Anyone have a link to some documentation?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I haven't found anything yet.
The covenant states those living or building on areas within the flood plain do so knowing of the potential for periodic flooding due to its proximity to Mission Creek.
Do City Officials make developers aware of this in writing and is that warning passed on to buyers?
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

swamp1967 wrote:With regards to the story: https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/198371/Covenant-limits-city-liability, what is the source of this? I looked at the City of Kelowna website and didn't see any mention in the community plan or elsewhere on the website. Anyone have a link to some documentation?

So any flood prone areas, that should include Okanagan Lake & Mill Creek
"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
I don't care whether people like me or dislike me. I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

Fancy wrote:I haven't found anything yet.

The covenant states those living or building on areas within the flood plain do so knowing of the potential for periodic flooding due to its proximity to Mission Creek.

Fancy wrote:Do City Officials make developers aware of this in writing and is that warning passed on to buyers?

Little thing called buyer beware. Those about to purchase property that don't know about flood plain, need to walk away and educate themselves first.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

“Restrictive Covenant”, in the context of this Bylaw, means a restrictive covenant under Section 219 of the Land Title Act, absolving the City of Kelowna of any liability with respect to the flooding of the property or flood damage to land, structures and contents thereof;

http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PD ... 010248.pdf
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

whitecandle wrote:“Restrictive Covenant”, in the context of this Bylaw, means a restrictive covenant under Section 219 of the Land Title Act, absolving the City of Kelowna of any liability with respect to the flooding of the property or flood damage to land, structures and contents thereof;

http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PD ... 010248.pdf

Thanks - that seems to be specific to Mill Creek only though and not the rise of the lake itself.
swamp1967

Post by swamp1967 »

I guess the way I'm reading this, is that the mentioned covenant https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/198371/Covenant-limits-city-liability was only registered on some more recent properties when they were subdivided and developed. So, to give a better picture the article perhaps should have mentioned that a number of properties do not have the convenant registered on title and therefore the city would not be protected.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

I guess what I'm not understanding is WHY building permits would be allowed to be issued in areas that are in the flood plain.

If the city planners KNOW where the flood plains are, why are they allowed to issue building permits in those areas? Does this not make them just a wee bit accountable too? But then again, I don't know how the wheels of building permits roll. Do they just approve the physical structure of a place or take into consideration WHERE the structure will be built ?

I guess I'm playing devil's advocate but .... I keep hearing "well they KNEW they were building in a flood plain" but I keep thinking "well, why were they allowed to build there"?

Maybe someone more educated with the rules can answer this ?

Return to “Flooding 2017”